This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schoolpurposes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! In 9th grade I was a horrible student that didn't do any homework at all or even check my grades once because of certain circumstances that I should have honestly pushed out of the way, but I honestly didn't really care. In 10th grade 1st semester I was horrid and made all C's as well because I didn't care, but then in 2nd semester I realized that I'm a loser and need to bring my grades up. In 2nd semester for 10th grade I made all A's except in a math class which I made a 78 in. Like, I am a stupid person, but if I try (which I can except in math classes tbh because I'm straight up terrible) - then, I do get the grade I want. I'm going to be in after-school classes for math next year though to bring my grade up.

In 9th: 2.100 GPA
In 10th: 2.594 GPA

All of my classes were regular except in 10th 2nd semester I took 2 dual credit classes which were weighted at 5.0 unlike the rest which were 4.0.

This year I'm taking these for 1st semester:
AP ENG 3 (weighted at 6.0)
ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
DC US HISTORY (weighted at 5.0)
SOCIOLOGY (weighted at 5.0)
LIVESTOCK PROD
SMALL ANIMAL MGMT
VET MED APP
CCT
-
2ND SEMESTER:
AP ENG 3 (weighted at 6.0
ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
ART 2 (weighted at 5.0)
BCIS (weighted at 5.0)
LIVESTOCK PROD
VET MED APP
CCT

^^ The rest of the classes that were not otherwise labeled as 5.0 or 6.0 are 4.0 classes.

In senior year for 1st semester I'm taking:
PRE-CAL
DC BIOLOGY (5.0) (2 BLOCK CLASS)
DC ENGLISH (WEIGHTED AT 5.0)
DC FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (WEIGHTED AT 5.0)
DC PHILOSOPHY (WEIGHTED AT 5.0)
PRACTICUM IN VET SCIENCE (2 BLOCK CLASS)

I was wondering if it is possible for me to get a 3.0 if I get A's in all of these classes?? Most of these classes are 1 credit with the exception of small animal management, sociology and art 2 which are .5 credit. The ones that are double blocked in senior year are 2 credits. I'm not going to mention my 2nd semester classes for senior year considering they apparently don't matter or something?? Like, only your 1st semester for senior year is inputted into your GPA. Is that true?

I took 2 summer classes this summer for my dual credit classes and I made A's in both economics and tx government. I'm willing to commit and get A's and everything, but there isn't really a way for me to fix this whole high school situation.

Two of my teachers this year (english and history) were really 'impressed' by the fact that I started trying in class (or more so they were shocked that an idiot went from C's to making high A's, 99 & 100) and by the end of the year they both recommended me in AP. They also told me they're willing to give me recommendations for college.

When I apply for a college, I'm going to make sure to do the optional essay as well and this year I'm going to try to become the president of recycling club (if that matters). They have the club once a week and each time you attend, you get 1 volunteer hour.

I will probably apply to college a bit late so that my 1st semester of senior year is inputted into my GPA. Is that ok?

My dual credit (community college) gpa is good for now as I have taken only 5 classes, maintaining the 4.0. I'm going to have 61 credits in-total and will graduate with my associate's a month before high school. This year in 11th there is going to be a certification as a veterinary assistant that I'm going to try and get, and I'll be working as a kennel assistant next summer (plus taking spanish 1, 2 and speech during the summer for my community college classes). I'll also volunteer at the local animal shelter.

I'm going to attempt at making a high SAT score and will retake it if it isn't where I would like for it to be. In your opinion, what is an ideal SAT?

BACK TO THE QUESTION: Is it possible for me to get a 3.0 by the time I graduate high school?

I typed this all real quick so I'm sorry about the grammar structure.. I can't stop thinking about all this gibberish. Like I said previously, I am willing to commit 100%. I checked my Skyward for 2nd semester in 10th and apparently I logged on 150 times each month with a total of like 750+ log-ins. In 9th grade I logged on once lol.

Would love advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! In 9th grade I was a horrible student that didn't do any homework at all or even check my grades once because of certain circumstances that I should have honestly pushed out of the way, but I honestly didn't really care. In 10th grade 1st semester I was horrid and made all C's as well because I didn't care, but then in 2nd semester I realized that I'm a loser and need to bring my grades up. In 2nd semester for 10th grade I made all A's except in a math class which I made a 78 in. Like, I am a stupid person, but if I try (which I can except in math classes tbh because I'm straight up terrible) - then, I do get the grade I want. I'm going to be in after-school classes for math next year though to bring my grade up.

All of my classes were regular except in 10th 2nd semester I took 2 dual credit classes which were weighted at 5.0 unlike the rest which were 4.0.

ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
LIVESTOCK PROD
SMALL ANIMAL MGMT
VET MED APP
CCT
-
2ND SEMESTER:
ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
ART 2 (weighted at 5.0)
BCIS (weighted at 5.0)
LIVESTOCK PROD
VET MED APP
CCT

^^ The rest of the classes that were not otherwise labeled as 5.0 or 6.0 are 4.0 classes.

PRE-CAL

I was wondering if it is possible for me to get a 3.0 if I get A's in all of these classes?? Most of these classes are 1 credit with the exception of small animal management, sociology and art 2 which are .5 credit. The ones that are double blocked in senior year are 2 credits. I'm not going to mention my 2nd semester classes for senior year considering they apparently don't matter or something?? Like, only your 1st semester for senior year is inputted into your GPA. Is that true?

I took 2 summer classes this summer for my dual credit classes and I made A's in both economics and tx government. I'm willing to commit and get A's and everything, but there isn't really a way for me to fix this whole high school situation.

Two of my teachers this year (english and history) were really 'impressed' by the fact that I started trying in class (or more so they were shocked that an idiot went from C's to making high A's, 99 & 100) and by the end of the year they both recommended me in AP. They also told me they're willing to give me recommendations for college.

When I apply for a college, I'm going to make sure to do the optional essay as well and this year I'm going to try to become the president of recycling club (if that matters). They have the club once a week and each time you attend, you get 1 volunteer hour.

I will probably apply to college a bit late so that my 1st semester of senior year is inputted into my GPA. Is that ok?

My dual credit (community college) gpa is good for now as I have taken only 5 classes, maintaining the 4.0. I'm going to have 61 credits in-total and will graduate with my associate's a month before high school. This year in 11th there is going to be a certification as a veterinary assistant that I'm going to try and get, and I'll be working as a kennel assistant next summer (plus taking spanish 1, 2 and speech during the summer for my community college classes). I'll also volunteer at the local animal shelter.

I'm going to attempt at making a high SAT score and will retake it if it isn't where I would like for it to be. In your opinion, what is an ideal SAT?

BACK TO THE QUESTION: Is it possible for me to get a 3.0 by the time I graduate high school?

I typed this all real quick so I'm sorry about the grammar structure.. I can't stop thinking about all this gibberish. Like I said previously, I am willing to commit 100%. I checked my Skyward for 2nd semester in 10th and apparently I logged on 150 times each month with a total of like 750+ log-ins. In 9th grade I logged on once lol.

Would love advice.
First take a deep breath and breathe... I'm on my phone so I'm just going to respond shortly and others will expand I'm sure and answer anything I missed. Relax. The GPA required for vet school is for the most part based off of undergraduate course work (community colleges and universities) so you can relax a bit. Graduate course work can be factored in but I'm not going to get into that right now. A higher GPA in high school is purely for your benefit such as scholarships and perhaps going to the university you want (I know some have a min GPA so look where you want to apply). In addition to if you can get a 3.0 google a GPA calculator. There are cumulative calculators that will let you input all your current grades and toy with future grades. However it is important to use this time to figure out good study habits as I can promise classes will only get harder the higher in education you go, so use this time wisely, breathe, and relax.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I second the deep breath.

Vet school won't care about your high school grades. Undergrad colleges will care but you'll be able to get in somewhere.

Vet schools won't care where you got your undergrad ( some require classes to be taken at a 4 year college though not a 2 year technical school )

Google GPA calculator to figure out what you need to get in classes to get the grade you want.

Learn how YOU learn and the best way for YOU to study. Study hard and get the best grades you can.

Study habits now will help you succeed in college.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
LIVESTOCK PROD
SMALL ANIMAL MGMT
VET MED APP
CCT
-
2ND SEMESTER:
ALGEBRA 2
PHYSICS
ART 2 (weighted at 5.0)
BCIS (weighted at 5.0)
LIVESTOCK PROD
VET MED APP
CCT

PRE-CAL

Would love advice.
Like the other posters said, vet schools won't look at your high school grades, but the earlier you can learn good study habits the better. That's good you're keeping better track of your grades now, but you also need to put the time in learning and studying the material. It's easy to get caught up in doing the math on if you can get the grade or GPA you want when you could be spending that time actually studying.

Also please don't call yourself an idiot or a loser because of your grades! Just because you were going through some things and weren't putting in the effort doesn't mean you're not smart. And even if you don't make the grades you want with putting in effort, it doesn't mean you're an idiot, it just means you might need to try some different study strategies. I think the majority of people on here have struggled with grades at some point, including those who are now successful veterinarians.

If I recall correctly your senior spring semester grades do count towards your final GPA, but those grades won't be in yet when you're applying to colleges. You should be fine to wait until the spring semester to apply, but each school's deadlines will be different, and they may have a priority deadline for scholarships even if the final deadline is later.

Extracurriculars are important when applying to college, but only join clubs that you really care about, not just so you can put them on a resume. I wouldn't bother with the vet assistant certification if it will cost you anything, as it's not required to shadow or work in a clinic and clinics probably wouldn't care that much.

Like the other posters said, breathe, take things one step at a time, and make sure you're not overloading yourself! It's important to make time for fun things and enjoying your high school years too.

Do whatever in high school. Graduate. Try to get into a college that is affordable. (Don't do so poorly that you can't get into a college, though.)

Once you are in college, everything counts, so you need to work hard and make sure you give it 100%.

Stick around on here and read threads in your free time (and make some friends too, maybe play some werewolf). You'll gradually learn everything you need to know about the application process and what sorts of things are necessary to do, and you'll have plenty of time to get them done.