Low Income Student Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonjellies

Reaction score
Hey, y'all!

I am feeling very scared and overwhelmed by all of this. I come from a single-parent, multi-siblings, low-income home. Although my family is happy I got into vet school, it is all starting to feel like a burden. Of course, we know the costs coming in, but just trying to get started with rent, travel plans, clothes, etc. It's a lot. I feel like...well a burden. Knowing that my family won't even be able to afford tickets to drop me off at school makes it even worse. I feel like I am alone. I thought I would make this thread to see who else feels this way and we can offer support to each other. The quest to make it out of the hood is hard and sometimes we need homies :).

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
You will be ok. I’ve been financially on my own for a long time. My mom couldn’t afford to see me off to vet school or come to family night. It was a little lonely honestly. But one of my classmate’s parents adopted me for the day and made me feel much better. There are so many people who can relate, you’re not alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, y'all!

I am feeling very scared and overwhelmed by all of this. I come from a single-parent, multi-siblings, low-income home. Although my family is happy I got into vet school, it is all starting to feel like a burden. Of course, we know the costs coming in, but just trying to get started with rent, travel plans, clothes, etc. It's a lot. I feel like...well a burden. Knowing that my family won't even be able to afford tickets to drop me off at school makes it even worse. I feel like I am alone. I thought I would make this thread to see who else feels this way and we can offer support to each other. The quest to make it out of the hood is hard and sometimes we need homies :).
i feel this. i'm a non-traditional student - in my early 30s and from an immigrant family; school didn't give me enough financial aid to cover cost of living this past year, and i didn't have enough saved up from my prior career to keep myself afloat. i'm in the middle of applying for various benefits to try and get by. if you ever want somebody to chat with, or to commiserate about different challenges, feel free to dm me. you're not alone.

edited to add, i don't think what happened to me with financial aid happens to most people; i do think typically schools are pretty decent about covering cost of living with loans - just don't want to add to the stress

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry to hear all of you are in similar boats to mine, but also grateful to have others to share experiences with! I haven't gotten accepted yet, but I'm still battling the hurdle of justifying spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on the chance of maybe getting in. It's very overwhelming at times :cryi:

Also the fact that I managed to complete my bach debt-free, but going back to school to attain prerequisites has set me back thousands...

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
With inflation and ever rising costs of tuition every year I feel you! I will most likely look into benefits just in case as well. I am also going to be working over the summer and I want them to work me like a DOG lol. It’s hard to talk to people about this because I feel like everytime I talk to people about my worries, they all say I’m fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
It’s hard to talk to people about this because I feel like everytime I talk to people about my worries, they all say I’m fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yes! Everyone's either "don't worry, you got this," or "well just do something else then?" When I vent about it, I just want someone to say they hear me and understand my situation I guess? 😅

• Care
Reactions: 5 users