Multiple Cycles Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kittens&cottontails

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been looking for something like this to make me feel not-so-alone on this difficult journey, and I am hoping I can help others on theirs. I am about to be 28 years old in the beginning of March and this is my 4th application cycle. In all of my cycles, I have not once received an interview or a waitlist spot. As of right now, I have heard back from 7/8 schools I applied to this cycle, and Iowa is the last school I am waiting to hear from. My experiences are very strong and varied, and I know my essays and rec letters are very strong too. Unfortunately, all of this hasn't even been looked at by almost all schools due to my below average GPAs. I know my academics is my issue and I have done a lot of work over the last few years to forgive myself for the mistakes I made in undergrad. I have failed classes, gotten C's and D's on retakes of those classes. I have withdrawn from multiple classes and from an entire semester. I have so much debt already that it makes me sick, and I only am able to work part time 30 hours a week for $16.50 as a Vet Assistant (in NY), which I don't enjoy a lot of the time. I feel like I am stagnant, and going further into debt every day, but I have given myself permission to not give up on this dream.

I got my Bachelors in 2020, two years after I "should" have graduated, because I was dealing with a lot of personal stuff. We all have trauma and it's not our fault. Sometimes I accidentally compare myself to other people I have gone to high school or college with, or worked with, who are already halfway done with Vet school, or are already practicing as Vets. It hurts, BAD. That's why I try my hardest not to do it, but every once in a while I see a facebook or instagram post that triggers me. I convince myself that these other people don't deserve it or even want it as bad as I do.....which is terrible. And not true. We all deserve this and have all worked hard on it. I'm just being vulnerable here, and hoping this will resonate with some other people and help them feel not so alone. I have saved up money (which is incredibly difficult on a vet assistant's wage) and paid to retake some classes over the last few years between cycles, and I am about to complete a graduate certificate in shelter medicine. I have gotten all A's in this program. In my retakes I gave been getting A's and B's. I have so many credits that my cumulative gpa barely moves-I'm just hoping to get it above a 3.0 to make some schools' cut-offs if needed for future cycles (it's a 2.94 right now). My pre-req gpa is between a 3.2-3.5 depending on the school. My last 45 right now is a 3.2. I know this is not competitive, but I have been hoping and praying that at least one school would look past my mistakes from several years ago and give me a chance based on my resilience and experience. It has not happened yet. If I am rejected from Iowa next week, I plan to sulk a little bit and try to figure out what I want to do next. I don't know if I want to take a step back from this coming cycle and wait until I have significantly increased my pre-req and last 45 GPAs before I apply again, or if I will do as many retakes as I can until September and apply again. I can't bear the thought of skipping a cycle and the potential to start a year earlier, but after doing this for 4 years I am exhausted with all of the essay writing, research, spending money on apps, and not to mention the intense pain of rejection.

Like I said, I am being vulnerable here. I am not looking for advice as I have been working on this for several years and know what I need to improve and have done the file reviews, research, etc. But my real goal here is to make other applicants like me feel not so alone. And I for myself to feel not so alone. As of right now, I am not planning on giving up on this. But it still is painful and exhausting, and I think we can all use a little encouragement to keep our heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 23 users
Thank you for your vulnerability and reaching out to others. I relate to a lot of what you've written, and I really appreciate that many of the qualities you are exhibiting here in this post- persistence, empathy, courage, self reflection, insight- are exactly the reason why you'd make a great vet. Message me anytime! You are not alone.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
You are definitely not alone. I also have a very similar story. You are totally free to message any time you need to talk! I think it is very important to talk about the struggle and the feelings that go along with seeing others succeed and move forward when you feel stuck in one spot.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
My stats and experiences are very similar to yours. I also graduated one year “late” in 2020. This process is horrible and imperfect and incredibly discouraging. I too have watched friends and colleagues go off to vet school and are now graduating and I’ve yet to be accepted. Please don’t give up, we can do this and we will be better veterinarians because of it!

My first two cycles I was rejected everywhere, and only offered a Ross vet prep spot on my second cycle- I didn’t take it due to the risk.

This is my third cycle and so far I’ve been waitlisted at Iowa State and waiting to hear from Michigan State and really really really hoping for good news. No other acceptances.

If you didn’t this year maybe consider applying to Michigan state? Your gpa isn’t considered once you meet the minimum requirements, and they seem to be a lot more interested in varied experiences and non-traditional students. I was invited to interview both for the DVM program and the dual degree DVM/PhD. Happy to chat if you want to connect ! Be patient with yourself, it’s hard and I know how it feels, I’ve been dreading the thought of another cycle. Thank you for sharing with us 💛

• Care
Thank you for your vulnerability and reaching out to others. I relate to a lot of what you've written, and I really appreciate that many of the qualities you are exhibiting here in this post- persistence, empathy, courage, self reflection, insight- are exactly the reason why you'd make a great vet. Message me anytime! You are not alone.
Thank you so much for your kind words❤️

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
You are definitely not alone. I also have a very similar story. You are totally free to message any time you need to talk! I think it is very important to talk about the struggle and the feelings that go along with seeing others succeed and move forward when you feel stuck in one spot.
I completely agree that it helps to see others with similar stories succeed. Thank you :)

My stats and experiences are very similar to yours. I also graduated one year “late” in 2020. This process is horrible and imperfect and incredibly discouraging. I too have watched friends and colleagues go off to vet school and are now graduating and I’ve yet to be accepted. Please don’t give up, we can do this and we will be better veterinarians because of it!

My first two cycles I was rejected everywhere, and only offered a Ross vet prep spot on my second cycle- I didn’t take it due to the risk.

This is my third cycle and so far I’ve been waitlisted at Iowa State and waiting to hear from Michigan State and really really really hoping for good news. No other acceptances.

If you didn’t this year maybe consider applying to Michigan state? Your gpa isn’t considered once you meet the minimum requirements, and they seem to be a lot more interested in varied experiences and non-traditional students. I was invited to interview both for the DVM program and the dual degree DVM/PhD. Happy to chat if you want to connect ! Be patient with yourself, it’s hard and I know how it feels, I’ve been dreading the thought of another cycle. Thank you for sharing with us 💛
Thank you so much for the support. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you with the Iowa and Michigan waitlists. How exciting! I have not yet applied to Michigan but plan to either this cycle or next once I have Physics 2 completed. I found out too late this past cycle that all prereqs have to be completed to apply to Michigan, but I am hopeful about their selection process :)

I completely agree that it helps to see others with similar stories succeed. Thank you :)
I totally misread your comment, lol. Yes the struggle of seeing others succeed and move forward while we are “stuck” is sooo painful. I would love to talk about it more with you, if you’re open to it!

I totally misread your comment, lol. Yes the struggle of seeing others succeed and move forward while we are “stuck” is sooo painful. I would love to talk about it more with you, if you’re open to it!
I am completely an open book! I think when we are non trad or just coming from a place where our path wasn't a perfectly straight road, it can be hard to navigate the very strict criteria that a lot of vet schools have. And I think that if any one of us is able to get through, it slowly sheds light on how many people are capable of coming from struggle and succeeding in spite of, and sometimes, because of the circumstances that they had to deal with.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Thank you so much for making this post, a lot of it really resonated with me and I can totally relate to the feeling of aging and watching your old classmates graduate and begin practicing as new DVMs while you’re still waiting for a school to take a chance on you and open that door.

I also graduated in 2020, a semester late and having dropped the minor I was mostly done with to squeak by without having to take the full extra year. I only applied in earnest starting this cycle because I knew I wasn’t totally ready beforehand (other than submitting like 3/4 of an app to my IS in ‘21, which they understandably nudged away politely with a foot lmao). My GPAs aren’t competitive whatsoever- 3.0ish across the board, sometimes a couple points higher depending on how the school calculates- due to undiagnosed/untreated ADHD and depression in undergrad. I have a semester of academic probation from my freshman year of college, F’s, W’s, a fully withdrawn semester, random C’s in “easy” courses…the works, on my transcript. I really didn’t want to have to take out a bunch of loans for a Master’s that I wouldn’t have enrolled in otherwise and despite my up-and-down academics only one or two of my prereq courses are below a B, so I only retook one course before taking the leap of faith this cycle just to see if I could make it without putting myself in a worse financial position than I absolutely had to.

I knew I’d be getting a lot of denials and fighting an uphill battle when I cast the wide net I did, but it’s been HARD getting rejection letter after rejection letter when I’ve put so many years and endless blood, sweat, and tears into preparing for this. I’ve been rejected by 13/15 schools I applied to, including my IS, but am on the waitlist for Iowa and still waiting to hear from LMU after interviewing back in early Fall.

I will say the process has also made me incredibly resilient and I know it’ll serve me well when I do get in and beyond— I really truly believe that our little subset of less than trad, multiple cycle folks that have had to work so hard for this for so long will make amazing DVMs not in spite of but because of it due to the resiliency and strength we’ve had to cultivate.

Sorry for being long-winded, just wanted to share my story as well in case it makes anyone feel less alone! Like others have said, I’m always down to chat if you ever want to drop a DM 💚

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
I can also relate to what you are going through. This was my third application cycle, and I was rejected from all five schools that I applied to. I took a gap year between cycles during which I started a master’s program and started a job doing research to increase my experiences with different animals. I really thought I had a chance this year, I interviewed with my in-state school only to be rejected by them as well.

The last two cycles I just brushed off the rejections, but this cycle seems to hurt a lot more. I feel like my family and friends don’t really understand how soul-crushing it is to be repeatedly rejected.

I’m not giving up hope yet, I’m going to apply again this cycle to different schools to see if anyone is willing to give me a chance to prove myself.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I really appreciate this entire thread!!! I’m 25, was supposed to graduate 2020, ended up graduating 2021 and applied this past cycle. From 2021 till now I retook a few classes due to my undergrad GPA. I’ve been rejected to 12 of the schools I’ve applied to and accepted to Ross vet prep. I’ve decided to not go and see how I can improve my app being that this is the first time.

Knowing that this year, 2024, is when people my age will be graduating vet school really gets to me sometimes. I’ve spent the past 8+ years focused on vetmed, gaining experience in anyway I could. Vetmed really becomes your life as an applicant; your entire support group family friends questions you about “when are u starting vet school!?” Because it’s all you’ve been talking about the past years

I wish there were other career options as veterinary health providers similar to PAs or NPs, that’s a whole other thing though. But us just having to put our entire careers “on pause” almost and it just being a waiting game gets to you. Especially when you’re surrounded with people who aren’t in healthcare and making 6 figures working some corporate job (it’s like maybe I wish I didn’t have this passion and push to continue to pursue this dream )

I appreciate reading everyone’s stories and journey to becoming a veterinarian. It makes me realize that there isn’t only ONE path and non traditional students have an extra charm and resilience that needs to be appreciated more!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I hesitate to comment this, but please be reassured- being in your 20's is still quite young! I know it doesn't feel like it and the race to get to where you're "supposed " to be can make you feel inadequate- marriage, kids, school, etc- the competition will drive you nuts. ultimately, you're only in competition with yourself. being in limbo? omg. i know. it really sucks too. family, friends have been waiting on me forever :shifty:i didn't want to come off advice- y, but -

I am in my 40's and pursuing this after years on the tech side/ then being a mom/ then trying everything else until I decided to go after what I really wanted, and it still might not happen because i waited for too long. well, i didn't "just" wait, i had/ have a lot of trauma to work through. The multiple cycle thing is sad for me because I truly feel that I am running out of time where this makes sense- I only have so much life and so many working years left, and I am not independently wealthy. it just might not happen. It was realizing that I only have one life that made me realize I had better get my you know what together and apply or i would always regret that.

i am trying so hard not to compare myself because i have made a lot of sacrifices to get here- including missing a lot of stuff with and for my kids because of school- but it is really really hard. I can prob go one, maybe two more cycles where I have to move on for good- or win the lottery, ha. if i am totally honest, i am having a really hard time and feeling quite bitter.

the rejections sting, i totally agree with that. the waiting and waiting for what seems like forever does too. please everyone- hang in there. a rejection does not mean you are not enough, it just means you werent what they were looking for at that snapshot in time or that there were a lot of applicants this year - or both. you have so much to offer, and i cant wait to see what you do with your unique talents!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate this entire thread!!! I’m 25, was supposed to graduate 2020, ended up graduating 2021 and applied this past cycle. From 2021 till now I retook a few classes due to my undergrad GPA. I’ve been rejected to 12 of the schools I’ve applied to and accepted to Ross vet prep. I’ve decided to not go and see how I can improve my app being that this is the first time.

Knowing that this year, 2024, is when people my age will be graduating vet school really gets to me sometimes. I’ve spent the past 8+ years focused on vetmed, gaining experience in anyway I could. Vetmed really becomes your life as an applicant; your entire support group family friends questions you about “when are u starting vet school!?” Because it’s all you’ve been talking about the past years

I wish there were other career options as veterinary health providers similar to PAs or NPs, that’s a whole other thing though. But us just having to put our entire careers “on pause” almost and it just being a waiting game gets to you. Especially when you’re surrounded with people who aren’t in healthcare and making 6 figures working some corporate job (it’s like maybe I wish I didn’t have this passion and push to continue to pursue this dream )

I appreciate reading everyone’s stories and journey to becoming a veterinarian. It makes me realize that there isn’t only ONE path and non traditional students have an extra charm and resilience that needs to be appreciated more!
Thanks so much for sharing your story❤️ I have also thought several times how I wish I could be cured of this passion because I’ve seen coworkers and friends in the field decide DVM isn’t actually for them and I feel envious of them! But I’ve finally given myself permission to keep trying, because this is what I am meant to do and all I want to do

Hey! Thank you so much for making this post, a lot of it really resonated with me and I can totally relate to the feeling of aging and watching your old classmates graduate and begin practicing as new DVMs while you’re still waiting for a school to take a chance on you and open that door.

I also graduated in 2020, a semester late and having dropped the minor I was mostly done with to squeak by without having to take the full extra year. I only applied in earnest starting this cycle because I knew I wasn’t totally ready beforehand (other than submitting like 3/4 of an app to my IS in ‘21, which they understandably nudged away politely with a foot lmao). My GPAs aren’t competitive whatsoever- 3.0ish across the board, sometimes a couple points higher depending on how the school calculates- due to undiagnosed/untreated ADHD and depression in undergrad. I have a semester of academic probation from my freshman year of college, F’s, W’s, a fully withdrawn semester, random C’s in “easy” courses…the works, on my transcript. I really didn’t want to have to take out a bunch of loans for a Master’s that I wouldn’t have enrolled in otherwise and despite my up-and-down academics only one or two of my prereq courses are below a B, so I only retook one course before taking the leap of faith this cycle just to see if I could make it without putting myself in a worse financial position than I absolutely had to.

I knew I’d be getting a lot of denials and fighting an uphill battle when I cast the wide net I did, but it’s been HARD getting rejection letter after rejection letter when I’ve put so many years and endless blood, sweat, and tears into preparing for this. I’ve been rejected by 13/15 schools I applied to, including my IS, but am on the waitlist for Iowa and still waiting to hear from LMU after interviewing back in early Fall.

I will say the process has also made me incredibly resilient and I know it’ll serve me well when I do get in and beyond— I really truly believe that our little subset of less than trad, multiple cycle folks that have had to work so hard for this for so long will make amazing DVMs not in spite of but because of it due to the resiliency and strength we’ve had to cultivate.

Sorry for being long-winded, just wanted to share my story as well in case it makes anyone feel less alone! Like others have said, I’m always down to chat if you ever want to drop a DM 💚
Thank you for sharing!! The undiagnosed ADHD and depression in undergrad is so real. You are so right that this process has made us incredibly resilient and tenacious and will undoubtedly serve us well in our careers :)

I hesitate to comment this, but please be reassured- being in your 20's is still quite young! I know it doesn't feel like it and the race to get to where you're "supposed " to be can make you feel inadequate- marriage, kids, school, etc- the competition will drive you nuts. ultimately, you're only in competition with yourself. being in limbo? omg. i know. it really sucks too. family, friends have been waiting on me forever :shifty:i didn't want to come off advice- y, but -

I am in my 40's and pursuing this after years on the tech side/ then being a mom/ then trying everything else until I decided to go after what I really wanted, and it still might not happen because i waited for too long. well, i didn't "just" wait, i had/ have a lot of trauma to work through. The multiple cycle thing is sad for me because I truly feel that I am running out of time where this makes sense- I only have so much life and so many working years left, and I am not independently wealthy. it just might not happen. It was realizing that I only have one life that made me realize I had better get my you know what together and apply or i would always regret that.

i am trying so hard not to compare myself because i have made a lot of sacrifices to get here- including missing a lot of stuff with and for my kids because of school- but it is really really hard. I can prob go one, maybe two more cycles where I have to move on for good- or win the lottery, ha. if i am totally honest, i am having a really hard time and feeling quite bitter.

the rejections sting, i totally agree with that. the waiting and waiting for what seems like forever does too. please everyone- hang in there. a rejection does not mean you are not enough, it just means you werent what they were looking for at that snapshot in time or that there were a lot of applicants this year - or both. you have so much to offer, and i cant wait to see what you do with your unique talents!
Wow-thank you so much for sharing this. I am so happy for you that you have decided to pursue this after all this time and after raising a family. You are definitely someone to admire and look up to. I appreciate the reminder that being in my 20s really is young and that we are in competition with nobody-all comparison does is make us feel inadequate and gosh am I hoping that I will continue to believe this and practice it. I think there is a beautiful hidden message in your post and that is that life is so much more than trying to become a Vet. Even for us folks who have dedicated years to it…there is still family and other aspects to life that are more important and fulfilling! I truly hope that you get into a program before you feel it’s too late for you. I’m sure you have done, and will do so many amazing things.

• Love
I can also relate to what you are going through. This was my third application cycle, and I was rejected from all five schools that I applied to. I took a gap year between cycles during which I started a master’s program and started a job doing research to increase my experiences with different animals. I really thought I had a chance this year, I interviewed with my in-state school only to be rejected by them as well.

The last two cycles I just brushed off the rejections, but this cycle seems to hurt a lot more. I feel like my family and friends don’t really understand how soul-crushing it is to be repeatedly rejected.

I’m not giving up hope yet, I’m going to apply again this cycle to different schools to see if anyone is willing to give me a chance to prove myself.
Sometimes the rejection hurts more than others. Especially if we have a set plan in our minds. I have found my rejections hurt less if I remind myself to be open to the possibility of different pathways for my future. Though it still is so, so painful. You are so strong! I’m so glad you haven’t given up.

Thank you for sharing your story @Kittens&cottontails. A lot of what you wrote I could've written myself with how similar it is. This will be my 3rd cycle and most of my undergrad classmates are going to be graduating in a couple months. Really makes me feel behind my peers.

• Care
Wow-thank you so much for sharing this. I am so happy for you that you have decided to pursue this after all this time and after raising a family. You are definitely someone to admire and look up to. I appreciate the reminder that being in my 20s really is young and that we are in competition with nobody-all comparison does is make us feel inadequate and gosh am I hoping that I will continue to believe this and practice it. I think there is a beautiful hidden message in your post and that is that life is so much more than trying to become a Vet. Even for us folks who have dedicated years to it…there is still family and other aspects to life that are more important and fulfilling! I truly hope that you get into a program before you feel it’s too late for you. I’m sure you have done, and will do so many amazing things.

Thank you. I’m still mid raising my kiddos - they remind me every day of why I do this , because it’s exactly what I’d want them to do- to push aside their fear and realize they are more than enough. It took me many years to not give up on myself. Applying over and over - writing essays, paying hundreds of dollars per school, file reviews, taking super hard courses, facing your mistakes and learning from them- that is exceptional. You’re already doing amazing things.

I'm glad we have this thread on here. Wanted to jump in and share my story since I've just been rejected by 8/8 schools in my second cycle. I'm 28 years old, I decided after I pursued a degree in business that I wanted to be a veterinarian. I've worked full-time in a vet clinic for 4 years now, and I took all of my pre-reqs while working full-time in the field. I've worked in GP, emergency, and I also have exotic and large experience, and I now run the surgery department at my clinic, all totaling in over 5,000. I wish I had found this passion earlier in life or during undergrad, but I know that this is what I was put on earth to do, it just took me a little longer to realize it. I'm lost right now though because I cannot afford to continue working as an unlicensed tech anymore. I can barely afford my bills and I have basically no savings account. I'm not living the life I wanted to live at 28. I'm single, I have no money to travel/do fun things, I have to live with a roommate when I would LOVE to have my own place, and I have no more growth left at my current position. I have no idea what else I can do to pay the bills. I want to try at least one more time next year before I give up, but I'm losing hope. What have you all done during your multiple cycles to support yourselves?

I made the mistake of getting my hopes up way too high for this cycle. I was almost too confident that I would get into my in state school this time around because it was my second try, my alma mater, I made many improvements to my application, and I was ultimately disappointed. Rejection really sucks. I want this more than I've ever wanted anything.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
This thread makes my heart warm! It's so so comforting to hear stories like mine. I graduated undergrad after 5 years in 2020 and I did not begin working in veterinary medicine until 2019. My undergrad grades were rough due to several factors, but I also was content with being a B average student because I simply did not think I'd need an amazing GPA for my future. When I realized that a veterinarian is what I was meant to become, my heart sank and I felt sick to my stomach knowing I'd dug myself a deep hole with my GPA. My transcripts had many W's, one F, three D's, and several C's. I continued working in vet med and gained so much knowledge and a wide variety of experiences and was in love. There truly wasn't anything else I could see myself doing that would bring me as much joy and satisfaction, but my GPA created a rain cloud that constantly hung over me. My academic advisor told me to not bother trying for vet school. I applied for my first cycle in 2021 and did not feel confident at all. I felt rushed into it by my peers and family and knew I wasn't ready. I received rejections across the board and my grandfather suggested I take a different path. I retook several classes, even took some new classes, and was hardly improving my 3.0 cumulative and ended up with a 3.5-3.6 last 45 GPA. I don't remember when this was, but I decided to take my focus off of my GPA and chose to strengthen other parts of my application. I transitioned into emergency medicine, got a job in a human pathology lab, did some research, acquired large animal experience, and became involved in my community as a volunteer yoga teacher. I was more intentional with who I requested LORs from and put more effort into those relationships, wrote many drafts of my personal statement, and utilized my explanation statement to speak frankly about my struggles and how I have grown from them. I applied again in 2023 and was holding my breath. I told myself I would do three application cycles then move on. I received a lot of rejections- 13 to be exact. But I also received three interviews and now have three acceptances with one decision pending post-interview! I am overjoyed and truly shocked to have options, but I don't feel how I thought I would. I thought I would feel more relief and pride, but the self-consciousness that this process has exacerbated in me is still overwhelming. I'm now worried about making the right decision and even if I'll do well in school. I know for a fact that I will be an incredible doctor, but the feelings of self-doubt do not let up and I'm beginning to think they never will. I've even found myself hung up on all of my rejections and feeling like the schools that accepted me made a mistake. There's absolutely no making sense of the admissions process and why one school will want you while another will not. This process has been gruelling, but I am so grateful for the journey that got me here, even if I do find myself wishing things could have been different. They simply will never be different and there is nothing I can do about it. My grandfather passed away before this application cycle and I really really wish he could know that I made it. I'm getting a little teary-eyed writing this and remembering all of the hours I've spent on SDN searching for a success story like mine to give me even a glimmer of hope. I really hope mine can now provide that for someone else. I made a post in the successful applicants c/o 2028 thread if anyone wants more details on my stats and such. You all are so incredible and so strong. It takes so much drive and passion to continue on in the face of rejection and I am SO proud of you. I know we will all make vet med an amazing, understanding, and compassionate place. I'm sending all of you so much love ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
What have you all done during your multiple cycles to support yourselves?
I left the field. Dixie Chicks serious. I was 0/2 on application cycles, but I was contacted by my undergrad institution about applying as a resident director. I had been an RA, had done well, and the RD job meant I could save 80% of my salary because I was living in campus with the atudents. It was a leadership position where I was in charge of managing 300+ undergrad students, overseeing 10 RAs. I didn't do anything vet med related from June onwards in the application cycle. Couldn't really because of the nature of my job (24/7 on call essentially) and it was a town of 5000 people; not much I could do vet med wise.

Got 1/8 acceptances, 1/8 wait-list. It was also my last cycle, and I was becoming less and less competitive due to grades. So this change also served as a way to find a new career path. I was only going to apply 3 times because I wanted other things from life (marriage, my own home, etc.). And if I hadn't been accepted, I was going to stay in that job and work towards progression in student services in academia.

You're 100% correct that applying ad nauseum for years while making 10-15$ an hour is not sustainable. So you have to find a different angle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I think not letting your life stay on hold during the process is so important. Over the last 8 years since I left undergrad I have built a really great Lab Animal Research career. I am starting a new job soon and I hope it will propel me closer to the knowledge I am looking for. I think constant learning in my job is paramount, so I decided I wouldn't sit this opportunity out on the off chance I get into vet school. I am still waiting to hear back from a single school, but overall I am glad I took this job so I can keep moving the other parts of my life forward.
I think waiting and hoping for vet school acceptance is not a bad thing, but over multiple cycles it can really make you feel anxious and stuck. Like you can't do anything until you get the adrenaline hit from an acceptance or rejection. Every email sends you spiraling, every crumb of knowledge makes you obsessively analyze how you compare. And while some comparison is necessary for understanding how and where to apply, I think allowing it to consume our whole life is a net negative for us. We need to remember we are whole people outside of our pursuit of this amazing career. And we can, and will, thrive no matter where we are planted. Because we have demonstrated through our setbacks and failures through life that we do not lie down and take it, we pop back up and keep going. We are dedicated, intelligent, and unique individuals with a lot of life experience. Vet schools are just luck of the draw sometimes and our straw hasn't been drawn yet.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I think not letting your life stay on hold during the process is so important. Over the last 8 years since I left undergrad I have built a really great Lab Animal Research career. I am starting a new job soon and I hope it will propel me closer to the knowledge I am looking for. I think constant learning in my job is paramount, so I decided I wouldn't sit this opportunity out on the off chance I get into vet school. I am still waiting to hear back from a single school, but overall I am glad I took this job so I can keep moving the other parts of my life forward.
I think waiting and hoping for vet school acceptance is not a bad thing, but over multiple cycles it can really make you feel anxious and stuck. Like you can't do anything until you get the adrenaline hit from an acceptance or rejection. Every email sends you spiraling, every crumb of knowledge makes you obsessively analyze how you compare. And while some comparison is necessary for understanding how and where to apply, I think allowing it to consume our whole life is a net negative for us. We need to remember we are whole people outside of our pursuit of this amazing career. And we can, and will, thrive no matter where we are planted. Because we have demonstrated through our setbacks and failures through life that we do not lie down and take it, we pop back up and keep going. We are dedicated, intelligent, and unique individuals with a lot of life experience. Vet schools are just luck of the draw sometimes and our straw hasn't been drawn yet.
This!!! I didn’t want to feel like my life was “on hold” I’ve been building a career in lab animal practice over the last several years because I wanted to enjoy what I do ! I have one program left to hear from as well, wishing you the best!

• Care
This!!! I didn’t want to feel like my life was “on hold” I’ve been building a career in lab animal practice over the last several years because I wanted to enjoy what I do ! I have one program left to hear from as well, wishing you the best!
Thanks!!! You too!!! 😁