• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Low interest rates (loans)

NicMouse64

5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2014
  1. Medical Student
With the new interest rates being so low (5%), does it make sense to borrow the max even if I don't need it to pay off the higher interest rate loans (8%)? I know there is a one time loan servicing fee, but the 3% difference that would accumulate each year would make up for the difference after a couple years. Am I missing something about this strategy? Not sure if this is the right place to put this but would like to start a discussion as loan disbursements will be coming soon.

About the Ads

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
  1. Medical Student
If my loans were disbursed before July 1st for the fall, but my spring loans are disbursed in Jan. '21, would the interest rate be the old 6% or will one be 6% and one 4%~? Someone told me both will be 6%~ since my first was disbursed before July 1st. I'm not quite clear on this.

darklabel

Primary Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
Ah, I don't remember from the MPN, that's a good point.

People have recklessly used school loans in the past for egregious purchases but the government doesn't care either way, they're making their money off of you. I wouldn't put too much into the MPN. Back when interest rates were 0% people would take out the max loans and put it in some kind of savings account and keep the interest rate payments. No one that I'm aware of has ever gotten in trouble for that.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user

NicMouse64

5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2014
  1. Medical Student
People have recklessly used school loans in the past for egregious purchases but the government doesn't care either way, they're making their money off of you. I wouldn't put too much into the MPN. Back when interest rates were 0% people would take out the max loans and put it in some kind of savings account and keep the interest rate payments. No one that I'm aware of has ever gotten in trouble for that.
when were interest rates 0??????

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.