2023 MD & DO NRMP Match Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like the NRMP posted a video about the 2023 match statistics (according to med school reddit).

It lists match rates for the top 14 specialties or something, so there is no published data for NSGY/integrated plastics/etc. in these videos.

Original Video:

The charts were found on reddit, but it looks like the charts themselves come from a long NRMP video, so they seem legit. Interesting to see neuro & path fall for DOs, but some commenter says the actual # of DOs who matched in neuro went up from 2022 -> 2023. Probably a consequence of an overall increased # of students and interest?

2023 MD:

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.01.11 PM.png

2023 DO:

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.01.22 PM.png

2023 IMG:

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.01.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.01.49 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda felt that it would be lower this year for Neuro for some reason. Everyone (all DOs) I know that applied complained of how low they fell on their rank lists. Also, taking a look at the spreadsheet this year many people were disappointed on match day for similar reasons and some people with decent stats still fell on their backup specialty as well. I sense this trend will continue with the perpetual increase in DO graduates and as interest in Neuro keeps increasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not too long ago rads and anesthesia were considered DO-friendly specialties. Ouch.

Why the large fluctuation with ENT? Small applicant pool?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that eventually will come to the point that you should only go to a DO or low tier MD if you’re comfortable with primary care

I think that eventually will come to the point that you should only go to a DO or low tier MD if you’re comfortable with primary care
I will wager that the low tier MD schools will match better in competitive specialties and primary care programs. Anesthesia will be <60% when charting comes out next year. Rad is already there.

9% lower match rate for DOs preferring psychiatry compared to the 2021-2022 cycle. Almost 1 out of 4 DOs preferring psych didn't match into it this time around. Pretty wild.

Eh. The low tier MD school tied to my residency matches very well in many specialties, and I know many of their applications and not all of them are 250+ world beaters. DO has always been that way, although the top quartile of DO students will continue to match competitively. They are matching far more competitively now than they were even 10 years ago.

I feel like students abandoning EM still isn’t enough to fully justify the increased competitiveness of gas and rads in such a short time. Are med students finally catching on that slogging through IM just for the chance of matching a desirable subspecialty is a huge scam lol?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I feel like students abandoning EM still isn’t enough to fully justify the increased competitiveness of gas and rads in such a short time. Are med students finally catching on that slogging through IM just for the chance of matching a desirable subspecialty is a huge scam lol?
Not to mention the fact that EM and rads are hugely different specialties that attract very different personalities. The EM to rads thing never made sense to me.

Despite the EM hysteria there are still 20+ students in my class that are applying to EM 🤷‍♂️

I thought if you made it into a truly academic program, your chances of matching into a non-cards/GI fellowship was fairly high, and you had a decent chance of matching into a cards/GI program somewhere? Is this not correct?

I thought if you made it into a truly academic program, your chances of matching into a non-cards/GI fellowship was fairly high, and you had a decent chance of matching into a cards/GI program somewhere? Is this not correct?
Probably not as much for GI. And for both you still need to put in a lot of legwork (research, networking etc.) unless you’re at like BWH or something

Probably. But grinding through what’s basically med school 2.0 only with even less objective measures only to find out you didn’t get that coveted GI spot or whatever doesn’t sound nearly as appealing to me as just applying rads or anesthesia and doing whatever fellowship you want because you can sign your name on the dotted line. Or in the case of anesthesia, just not doing one at all.

Admittedly, I’m biased because I’m in one of those fields.

Reactions: 2 users