Low-ish GPA, graduated 5 years ago, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knioette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I didn't find a recent thread that discusses the low GPA question, so I thought I'd ask again since average accepted GPAs change every year.

My question is in regard to applying for the upcoming 2015/2016 cycle.

I have a Cell, molecular and microbial biology degree from the University of Calgary (Canada), graduated in 2010.

I have a a 3.14 cGPA (including courses I took this year, outside of undergrad as pre-reqs). sGPA (no math or psyc) is 3.1. However if you look at the last 20 courses I had taken (including the English and A&P I took this year as pre-reqs), both my my cGPA and sGPA are 3.3. All classes I have taken this year (to fill pre-req gaps, as I never planned on becoming an Optometrist while I was an undergrad), I had gotten straight A's. I still need to finish another English class and Bioethics.

I have taken Calculus in Winter of 2006, linear algebra, intro to bio, chem and physics in fall of 2006, and bio, chem and physics pt2 in winter 2007.

I plan on taking the OAT sometime in August of this year, applications out by September first. I would like to apply to Waterloo, and any and all US schools where I might have a chance of getting accepted.

I have published a paper on the identification of a new bacterial genus. Since I graduated, I have been in charge of getting pre-market authorization to sell supplements from Health Canada, in addition to actually formulating those supplements, and my latest two positions at a supplement company were Head of research and regulatory department, and now I'm a Director.

My questions are:

1- Well, what are my chances?

2- What's a good OAT range for me?

3- What schools are likely to accept me?

4- Do I need to repeat the classes I took in 2006? Since technically that was the '11th' year ago, or are they likely to be reasoned with since these classes are all covered on the OAT?

5- Is there such a thing as a conditional acceptance, such that I'd get accepted on the condition I repeat x courses prior to September 2016? This is because I worry that some of my pre-reqs have technically expired (it's been more than 10 years), and OAT doesn't covered Calculus.

6- Is it a good idea to apply by September 1st, or am I pushing my luck? I ask because the optometrist I shadowed seems to think that it's better to apply after I have my OAT, that way my application doesn't get 'shelved', and even if I had my OAT, my application might get shelved if I apply in July because I'm not an ideal candidate, so they might try to wait and see if someone better comes along. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Knioette

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, a fellow Cowtown citizen!

1- Well, what are my chances?
I think you have a pretty good shot for US schools with your current GPA if you can get a decent OAT score. Representatives from several schools have told me that they raise Canadian GPAs a little (around 0.2?).

You have lots of experience in the health sector as well, which would supplement your application!

2- What's a good OAT range for me?
I would aim for 370 or higher to make yourself more competitive.

3- What schools are likely to accept me?
http://www.opted.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Profile-of-the-Entering-Class-2014-Final.pdf
Take a look at the average GPAs and keep in mind that you get a little bump. Like I said, I think you would be competitive for most of these schools if you do well on the OAT.

As for Waterloo, they require a minimum of 75% for ALL courses in your BSc studies (https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-visi.../admission-requirements/academic-requirements). Your cGPA of 3.1 may or may not make the cut, I would contact them to make sure. I'm using the OMSAS conversion as reference (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf).

4- Do I need to repeat the classes I took in 2006? Since technically that was the '11th' year ago, or are they likely to be reasoned with since these classes are all covered on the OAT?
I have no idea about this, I would contact admissions office for the schools you are interested in.

5- Is there such a thing as a conditional acceptance, such that I'd get accepted on the condition I repeat x courses prior to September 2016? This is because I worry that some of my pre-reqs have technically expired (it's been more than 10 years), and OAT doesn't covered Calculus.
I know the US schools do conditional acceptances, so you would have to contact them to make sure.

Waterloo does not do conditional acceptance.

6- Is it a good idea to apply by September 1st, or am I pushing my luck? I ask because the optometrist I shadowed seems to think that it's better to apply after I have my OAT, that way my application doesn't get 'shelved', and even if I had my OAT, my application might get shelved if I apply in July because I'm not an ideal candidate, so they might try to wait and see if someone better comes along. Thoughts?
You can always start the application early, there's lots to fill out. OAT scores are submitted separately from the application. The US schools do rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply the better. Personally, I don't think there's any harm in applying early, but hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Waterloo does not do rolling admissions, so all applications are considered at the same time. As long as you apply by the deadline, you are good to go.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes it does help! Thanks so much for the amazing thorough response!

I am pretty sure I have some C's during my BSc (damn you OChem). I'll send out an application to Waterloo anyways I guess, you never know.