low mcat and lo gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ruknight310

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i am going to be a senior in the fall of 2015 and was hoping to go to medical school. I know that i am not the smartest kid but i was hoping that there is still a chance. I am willing to go to MD schools, DO schools, and medical schools all over the world. I just want to become a doctor and help people.

My current gpa as of now is a 3.16 and mcat score is embarrassing low at 15 (but planning on taking it again in august). I have a lot of volunteer work and extracurricular activities if thats help. I was hoping for people to give me a list of medical schools with there average gpa and mcat scores so i know where i should be looking or just advice in general for me.

Thank you very much for your time.
 
15 MCAT.....

No offense but that's a massive problem. You'll have to double that score to be competitive for DO schools even (3.1/30).
 
I think you can have a shot given that the mcat is improved and improve your gpa in the last two semesters you have. Perhaps stay an extra year for more classes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you're at the point where you should start seriously considering other careers. You can help people in plenty of careers, maybe more than as a doctor. Learn about them and get exposure to a few of them. Don't take the MCAT until you're scoring near the equivalent of a 30 on official AAMC practice tests.

You'll be alright if med school doesn't work out. good luck.
 
Do not take the MCAT in August.
A 15 is a lower score than 92% of people who took the test.

The new test is longer and includes a significant amount of material not previously tested.

Unless you are scoring in a target range near 508, another low MCAT only seals your fate.

Repeat DO NOT under any circumstances take the MCAT in the near future. To recover from a 15 even to 25 territory is a major time commitment and requires either a) a vastly improved base of knowledge by taking more bio classes/learning the material better from the ones you did b) re-doing your test taking approach completely and how you approach MCAT type reasoning problems. Actually it requires both.

This isn't going to happen in one month and honestly if it is going to happen it won't happen for a number of months. Good luck. Without sizable improvement the second time around(10+ points) it might be time for Plan B.
 
So i am going to be a senior in the fall of 2015 and was hoping to go to medical school. I know that i am not the smartest kid but i was hoping that there is still a chance. I am willing to go to MD schools, DO schools, and medical schools all over the world. I just want to become a doctor and help people.

My current gpa as of now is a 3.16 and mcat score is embarrassing low at 15 (but planning on taking it again in august). I have a lot of volunteer work and extracurricular activities if thats help. I was hoping for people to give me a list of medical schools with there average gpa and mcat scores so i know where i should be looking or just advice in general for me.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hi OP, thank you for having the guts to ask an open question. I think it is disparaging to dismiss your hopes in a manner that was done by many posters. However, you should really take the time to build up your profile, skill set, and become a stronger candidate for a DO. DO NOT be so desperate for a medical degree... You are trying to become a physician, not a medical student. If you take your time and don't take the MCAT until you are ready, you may find yourself better prepared. On the other hand, you may decide on a different career.
 
People aren't being rude they're being honest. I personally think sugarcoating it isn't the way to go.

If you're going to retake it I hope you've prepared for it, if you make it up and do well you can get in DO, probably not MD.
But if you get another low score, not even that low, less than a 27 equivalent, I don't think you'll stand any chance. Prove that 15 was a fluke.
 
As others have said, don't rush to retake the MCAT. Another low score will make your application look even worse. You have a lot of ground to make up, so it's going to take a lot of time.

Additionally, you need to think long and hard about how committed you are specifically to a career as a physician. The problem is that most people who are lower in one are (GPA or MCAT) generally balance it out by being above average in the other. Say you are able to get your MCAT score up to the equivalent of a 30 on the new MCAT, which would be a huge jump considering that would be doubling your score. This would be an okay score, but it is still below the average for matriculants. At the very best, you'd maybe be able to get your GPA up to a 3.35 at graduation. This is significantly better than what you have now, but it's still a lot lower than the average for matriculants. Generally, applicants who have one of the two (GPA or MCAT) significantly below the average and the other one at or below the average don't do very well in this application process.

If you are going to do this, you are going to need to put a ton of time in to fix what is wrong. Getting your MCAT to a level that is acceptable will require a ton of work. You will likely have to do a post-bacc or something in order to get your GPA high enough to apply. These things may be possible. I'm not trying to tell you it's impossible. However, you need to understand that this will be a ton of work, and it may require several gap years if it is going to happen.
 
A 15 MCAT means that you're fundamentally unfamiliar with biology, chemistry, and physics. I don't know how you can fix that short of retaking the classes.
 
I wouldn't apply this cycle and take a lot of time to study for the MCAT. If you retake and it isn't around 508, then I honestly wouldn't apply and look at different options. Good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad