Low MCAT Applicant WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TS2818

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some help with realistic school opportunities. Got waitlisted by one school in the 2020 App cycle but I applied last Sept, so will apply early this year.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA3.34
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown 495 first try. Second attempt 498 (124,125,125,124)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Colorado
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Carroll College in MT for molecular biology
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1+ year of experience as an MA and Urgent care tech, 1 wk long pediatric medical mission in Mexico, 2+ years as a hospice volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity Research poster presentation as senior project
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 120 hrs in Gen Surg shadow, Work experience as an MA in Family practice and OB
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Domestic abuse crisis line advocate
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Played College Softball all four years, Student Athlete President for two years, big game hunting and involvement with conservation
  11. Relevant honors or awards: all academic and all region team
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important/ Have good LOR from Dr. and supervisors at current hosptial

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest all these DO schools with your stats:
ICOM
BCOM
CHSU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
I would aim for at least a 500 before applying and even with that it could still be tough. MCAT/gpa averages are going up every year at MD and DO medical schools alike. After scoring at least a 500 on the mcat, I would apply to my in-state DO/MD medical schools and the newer out-of-state DO medical schools.

Did you actually interview and end up on a waitlist? Or were you “waitlisted” for an interview? If you interviewed call and ask if there is any chance you’ll get off the WL.

I was waitlisted post interview.

I am scheduled to re-take the MCAT late June with scores back in mid July. Do I submit primaries early and re-send my new score or wait until I know this score is at the 500 at least to be competitive?

Are you only applying DO? The DO cycle is much longer so I’d wait until you get your scores back. Actually, I’d do the same for MD. Unless you shoot up in your MCAT score to like 510+ I wouldn’t apply MD at all. So just wait and do your best and see what happens. How are your practice tests coming along? What scores have to gotten so far? Good luck.

I am doing DO only. I have most of my clinical experience with DO's and have multiple LOR from DO. I have the Princeton review books that I am going through currently and then some practice exams

I am scheduled to re-take the MCAT late June with scores back in mid July. Do I submit primaries early and re-send my new score or wait until I know this score is at the 500 at least to be competitive?
You already have two sub-500 scores, so I would wait until I knew what my third score was. I am unsure about how willing DO schools generally are in treating multiple MCAT scores (you should do that homework networking with admissions staff), but I know some MD schools will average all score attempts in considering a file. The DO cycle is slightly longer than the MD cycle, so you have a little more time. I'd consider sending in an AACOMAS with a handful of schools early, then add more if your last attempt is better. Make sure you try to get +10 over your last score.