Low MCAT Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relz.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I finally received my score back a few days ago and it's a lot lower than expected. I was originally very upset but it's time to get back on track! I obviously need to retake and I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I have a date in January to write the same mcat but I also have the option of taking a prep course next summer for free and trying to do the new mcat.

I'm a bit torn because i'll only have three weeks to study for the one in january (I'm currently in school so I wouldn't get much done while classes are still on) but I also really want to make sure I get my score back in time next summer so that I can apply to schools early (Canadian applicant here!). I had also heard the new one will be harder because there are a lot more subjects to study for.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

3 weeks of study wont signicantly improve your MCAT scores. So I recommend to take the new MCAT so you have sufficient time to study. Now the rumor that new MCAT will be harder; I think it wont matter much because your score is the scale score, meaning how many ppl did worse than yours, not how many questions you get right (raw score)

You guys have it really hard ( I think you have seen one conversion I was having with a Canadian applicant) . If you are aiming for Canadian schools, your grades are your top priority for the semester. If your AAMC practice test scores are not at your goal score, then you will need to shoot for the new MCAT.

If you are not aiming for Canadian schools, then take a lower course load (6 credits) or just take the semester off. This will benefit your greatly if you are taking the old exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
@feeling-dizzy that's what I was thinking about the 3 week period. I honestly don't know how much studying i'll be able to fit in between now and then.

@IslandStyle808 I agree! Unfortunately I am applying to Canada as well. I'd much rather get into somewhere in the states though, I lived there as a kid and just keep going back! I'm currently taking six classes but two are arts and one is easy so I think i'll be okay there but I don't want to go to part-time student status nor do I want to knock down my course load so sadly, that won't work for me.

Anybody know how I can help my issue of a late mcat score? If I apply early as possible and just wait for my new score, will they receive my old, poor one? Or is there some way to send it in and say "hey wait I have a better one coming in soon!" ?:rolleyes:

@feeling-dizzy that's what I was thinking about the 3 week period. I honestly don't know how much studying i'll be able to fit in between now and then.

@IslandStyle808 I agree! Unfortunately I am applying to Canada as well. I'd much rather get into somewhere in the states though, I lived there as a kid and just keep going back! I'm currently taking six classes but two are arts and one is easy so I think i'll be okay there but I don't want to go to part-time student status nor do I want to knock down my course load so sadly, that won't work for me.

Anybody know how I can help my issue of a late mcat score? If I apply early as possible and just wait for my new score, will they receive my old, poor one? Or is there some way to send it in and say "hey wait I have a better one coming in soon!" ?:rolleyes:

It is really variable in this aspect. Some schools won't accept MCATs beyond September. Some schools will just take the score you have now and not wait for the next one. So it is a school dependent thing sadly.

Even if it means skipping an app cycle, do NOT take the MCAT again until you are fully ready to.

Hey guys! So I finally received my score back a few days ago and it's a lot lower than expected. I was originally very upset but it's time to get back on track! I obviously need to retake and I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I have a date in January to write the same mcat but I also have the option of taking a prep course next summer for free and trying to do the new mcat.

I'm a bit torn because i'll only have three weeks to study for the one in january (I'm currently in school so I wouldn't get much done while classes are still on) but I also really want to make sure I get my score back in time next summer so that I can apply to schools early (Canadian applicant here!). I had also heard the new one will be harder because there are a lot more subjects to study for.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

giving us your scores would help give us a better idea how to help you

Reactions: 1 user
Okay well I think I've made my decision then! Thanks guys. I really think I'll be ready for this next one, I have the last one under my belt plus months of studying.

One last thing, I know it's school dependent but when do you recommend I take the test by next summer if I still want to have an early, competitive app?