Low MCAT? It can be DONE! Go WiLdCaTs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hatman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody...for all of those low MCATers...all i can say...is it can be done!...i am living proof! (25 MCAT, 3.65 GPA...granted I had 3 years of research in an academic lab and volunteering in hospitals but thats pretty standard) and I have acceptances from the UA, MSUCOM, PCOM, MSUCHM, Meharry, and BostonU!!! Still waiting on UVermont, and Rosalind Franklin!!! Improbable....yes....impossible...I THINK NOT! :cool:

Keep the hope and faith alive folks !!! Best of Luck to all of you!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

You got into BU with a 3.65 and a 25? I will never understand that school.

Congrats on all the success. Since you're officially in somewhere, you can probably cut down on the Leetspeak. :)

Congratulations, but it should be noted >6% of all matriculants have a 25. So, while yes it can be done, it takes an applicant who has extensive EC such as yourself. GOOD LUCK in med school.:thumbup::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. :)

just trying to spread some hope out there!...i know how i felt just a few months ago...thanks for the support guys

congrats! :) can you post what you did that you felt made a difference in your app? do you have an mdapps profile? 25 MCATer here and slowly losing hope. :(

Hey Everybody...for all of those low MCATers...all i can say...is it can be done!...i am living proof! (25 MCAT, 3.65 GPA...granted I had 3 years of research in an academic lab and volunteering in hospitals but thats pretty standard) and I have acceptances from the UA, MSUCOM, PCOM, MSUCHM, Meharry, and BostonU!!! Still waiting on UVermont, and Rosalind Franklin!!! Improbable....yes....impossible...I THINK NOT! :cool:

Keep the hope and faith alive folks !!! Best of Luck to all of you!!! :luck::luck::luck:
Party time!!!! Congrats!
:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

It just goes to show that many schools really do look beyond the numbers. You obviously came across very well to said schools. Congrats on the acceptances and good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

I've got ye olde low MCAT as well. I'm holding onto my one waitlist like grim death!

are you a URM?

well if theres anything i can tell you guys with low mcats its that you better make up for it through some other means...sounds simple but i really think the extracurriculars pulled me through....I have spent a total of 3-4 years doing academic research and clinical research (no pubs...but no worries) and I have worked in a total of 6 hospitals/clinics with various types of volunteer experiences....(ie hospice, ER, Cancer Clinic, etc.) I worked at these places not because I had to but because I wanted to...it was fun! (believe it or not)

Get yourselves out there...be CONFIDENT in your interviews and discuss why you REALLY want to be a doc in your personal statement...no bs and just cut to the chase...my interviewees blatantly said my mcat was lower than normal and wanted me to explain why they should give me a chance...dont be afraid to be honest and simply say you dont do well on standardized tests or something more important came up...but you need to reiterate your passion for medicine through some other means....the numbers game can only get you so far...the rest really is up to proving what you really say through the actions you have taken

lol i am so much a minority that i am not really considered minority...if that makes any sense....i am classified as caucasian

Members don't see this ad :)
gotcha! deleted.

just curious. are you a URM?

He just said that he is classified as a caucasian. You probably missed it when you were writing your post. God bless.

Oh yeah, Congrats on all of your acceptances! That is truly a blessing. God is good all the time. God bless you in wherever you decide to go.

lol i am so much a minority that i am not really considered minority...if that makes any sense....i am classified as caucasian
Me too. Although I am classified as a caucasian, I am 1/4 polish, 1/8 scottish, 1/8 welsh, and the rest scandanavian. I am a Polottelshanavian. This minority represents less than 1% of all practicing physicians and is one of the most underrepresented demographics in all of medicine.

Actually, I just don't get what you are saying. :)

lol...I am assyrian and only know of one other assyrian in the state applying to med school

Wow! This is really inspirational for those of us with sub-par MCAT scores. Congrats on all your success! May all of us in the low-MCAT club share similar success stories in weeks to come! (I know I'll be keeping my fingers crossed) :luck: :luck:

He just said that he is classified as a caucasian. You probably missed it when you were writing your post. God bless.

Oh yeah, Congrats on all of your acceptances! That is truly a blessing. God is good all the time. God bless you in wherever you decide to go.

Thank god he isn't a URM, that would've opened a whole new can of worms.

So OP, you were accepted at meharry though? I kind of wondered about that, simply because it is a historically black college. I am not trying to start a race argument at all, but did NOT being black come up in the interview? I am not the slightest bit racist and there are a few historically black medical colleges, all in areas that would be good for me for one reason or another, so I was just wondering if I should waste my cash on trying or not. Please please please don't turn this into ANOTHER race thing.

Thank god he isn't a URM, that would've opened a whole new can of worms.

So OP, you were accepted at meharry though? I kind of wondered about that, simply because it is a historically black college. I am not trying to start a race argument at all, but did NOT being black come up in the interview? I am not the slightest bit racist and there are a few historically black medical colleges, all in areas that would be good for me for one reason or another, so I was just wondering if I should waste my cash on trying or not. Please please please don't turn this into ANOTHER race thing.

I was thinking the same thing about the URM. I am glad that he isn't cuz that would have started another issue.

If you like the areas that the HBCU medical schools (Howard, Morehouse, Meharry, UCLA/Drew) are in, I say go for it. It wouldn't be a waste of cash. They are great school s regardless of what people say. And just because they are historically Black schools, they look for people who are committed to serving the underserved community. The one thing about the HBCU's is that they give everybody an equal look. I know for Howard, their big thing is making dreams a reality. If underserved is your thing, then I say go for it but you have to make sure that that is really what you wanna do and your not just saying that to get in cuz they will find out. Howard is my number one so Lord willing I will be accepted to the class of 2013. God bless.

Yea actually Meharry was quite nice. I will admit that I was the only "white-looking" interviewee but I was never asked about my race. I WAS asked why I applied to Meharry and simply had answered with that I appreciated the diverse student body that was present at the school. You should def. apply... as their school is really well equipped. The only downside is that they aren't a very research oriented school (if you're into that sort of thing). However in order to fix this problem, they have some sort of Vanderbilt-Meharry alliance which gives students the opportunity to simply drive (short drive) to Vandy and work with faculty members there to conduct research. A great school!

Yea actually Meharry was quite nice. I will admit that I was the only "white-looking" interviewee but I was never asked about my race. I WAS asked why I applied to Meharry and simply had answered with that I appreciated the diverse student body that was present at the school. You should def. apply... as their school is really well equipped. The only downside is that they aren't a very research oriented school (if you're into that sort of thing). However in order to fix this problem, they have some sort of Vanderbilt-Meharry alliance which gives students the opportunity to simply drive (short drive) to Vandy and work with faculty members there to conduct research. A great school!

So on your AMCAS you marked caucasian?

yep...had to...there was no spot for "ancient lost civilization" ..:laugh:

When did you find out from BU? Were you first or second cycle?

Oh yeah, big ups!

applied early to BU...heard about a month ago...good school but really seemed uptight to me...not the kind of environment I want to be in for the next 4 years

I am sincerely proud of your success. I now you'll be a great physician regardless of your academic numbers. Although cliche, there's more to a person than his or her numbers. I think you story highlights how the pre-medical community is so obsessed with numbers. Great job! I pray that I will have similar success in my 2008-09 endeavor. Woot!

Hey Im happy for you too! I have to admit though, the fact that UofA thinks Im not as good of a person as you kinda sucks tho :rolleyes:

when i interviewed at both howard and morehouse, there were plenty of white people, asians, middle easterners, etc...pretty much everyone there either interviewing, making up the student body, and the faculty. These schools are much more diverse than people give them credit for, don't be afraid to apply because you're not black.

I really like you Hatman! Just from reading your replies and briefly hearing your story, you seem like a really cool person. I'm sure this is what won the interviewers over.
Congrats to you! And continued blessings throughout your medical education!:)

Awesome, you (everyone that replied) kind of put my mind at ease. I don't give a damn about research honestly. I grew up in an underserved area and have goals of staying an such an area. Perhaps not the extreme 1 doctor for town scenario, but a small county hospital in a rural area or something. Def. staying on the list then. Medical school is medical school to me. It is hard wherever you go.

Congrats Hatman:hardy:

This really gives me some hope. I hope BU shows me some love too :oops:

Awesome, you (everyone that replied) kind of put my mind at ease. I don't give a damn about research honestly. I grew up in an underserved area and have goals of staying an such an area. Perhaps not the extreme 1 doctor for town scenario, but a small county hospital in a rural area or something. Def. staying on the list then. Medical school is medical school to me. It is hard wherever you go.

The historically black schools tend to favor people who plan to serve in traditionally underserved areas regardless of race so i think you would do well in those interviews.
I dont know about the others but Howard has a significant number of non-black graduates. I personally know 5 white doctors that originally graduated from howard.

Thanks for all of the blessings guys!! I hope to run into all of you one way or another in the future (perhaps we can open a partner office together or something? Lol ) ! You will all make great docs some day!! UA has a really weird admissions process so I wouldn't stress ....many applicants on the waitlist also get in so be patient...most of all...its nice to know that MCAT and scores aren't everything...because I was freaking out like most of you just a few months ago...keep the faith...keep the hope and best of luck!!

Thanks for all of the blessings guys!! I hope to run into all of you one way or another in the future (perhaps we can open a partner office together or something? Lol ) ! You will all make great docs some day!! UA has a really weird admissions process so I wouldn't stress ....many applicants on the waitlist also get in so be patient...most of all...its nice to know that MCAT and scores aren't everything...because I was freaking out like most of you just a few months ago...keep the faith...keep the hope and best of luck!!

Wait, Hatman, don't leave!! You have to let us know if you get into UVM and/or Ros. Frank!! We are all pulling for you to have option after option :hardy:

The historically black schools tend to favor people who plan to serve in traditionally underserved areas regardless of race so i think you would do well in those interviews.
I dont know about the others but Howard has a significant number of non-black graduates. I personally know 5 white doctors that originally graduated from howard.

Yea, I was talking to my dad about it and he said he knew an anesthesiologist where we are from that came from howard. Of course, he said the anesthesiologist was an idiot, but I think that was more because of the person than the school. :p

Man, on a side note. Meharry and Howard both have horrible websites. I was just checking them out. It is like a middle schooler made it in frontpage for a class project.

lol....i will let you guys know....but i am pretty sure that I am goin to the UA...cant beat saving all that money on the in state tuition...

NNNNNNNNice!

Just remember that the USMLEs are standarized tests. There's no escaping those--good luck!

lol yea.....i got two years to start working on standardized tests strategy...and that work will begin this August....at least now I know what I need to focus on...lol

lol yea.....i got two years to start working on standardized tests strategy...and that work will begin this August....at least now I know what I need to focus on...lol

i am not quite sure whats the case with OP, but it is extremely unlikely that someone would get into a US med school with 26 in mcat...no matter how badly you want to become a doctor. so if you have a current score that is around 26, don't be too excited. retake the mcat....don't wait for a miracle...make it happen with you own effort.

i am not quite sure whats the case with OP, but it is extremely unlikely that someone would get into a US med school with 26 in mcat...no matter how badly you want to become a doctor.* so if you have a current score that is around 26, don't be too excited. retake the mcat....don't wait for a miracle...make it happen with you own effort.
He already got into a couple of schools.* I think like 5 maybe.* And it really isn't that unlikely.* This cycle I have been hearing of people with 21, 22, 23, 25's getting into US allopathic med schools.* It isn't always about the numbers.........God bless.

He already got into a couple of schools.* I think like 5 maybe.* And it really isn't that unlikely.* This cycle I have been hearing of people with 21, 22, 23, 25's getting into US allopathic med schools.* It isn't always about the numbers.........God bless.
Yes, but how many of those that you have been hearing about with those scores have been URM? I'd wager the vast majority.

Thus, the previous poster's advice could be amended to say that if you are not URM, realize that a 26 is probably going to be a significant impediment to gaining entrance to a US allopathic school.

Yes, but how many of those that you have been hearing about with those scores have been URM? I'd wager the vast majority.

Thus, the previous poster's advice could be amended to say that if you are not URM, realize that a 26 is probably going to be a significant impediment to gaining entrance to a US allopathic school.

Actually the people that I was talking about are not URM's so you are wrong in your assumption my friend. And I believe that depending on the school and what your goals are and who you are, a 26 can get you in a US allopathic school. This thread is living proof. God bless.

Actually the people that I was talking about are not URM's so you are wrong in your assumption my friend. And I believe that depending on the school and what your goals are and who you are, a 26 can get you in a US allopathic school. This thread is living proof. God bless.

It is evidence of outliers, sure. Do you have links to mdapps for those folks you're talking about? A 21 into an allopathic school by someone that is not a URM is certainly noteworthy.

It is evidence of outliers, sure. Do you have links to mdapps for those folks you're talking about? A 21 into an allopathic school by someone that is not a URM is certainly noteworthy.

I do not have links to mdapps cuz I don't think they are on there. They are a friend of my friend. And no they are not lying. I also know a couple of people who aren't URM's who got into a UC with below 25 MCAT. It can happen and it does happen. I think it is cool that some schools do look at the person and not just the numbers. God bless.

you make it sound like every pre-med in the whole world has an mdapps

I think it all depends on where you live and where you are applying. At one of my TX interviews they told us that our mcat range was 20 -38 (and there were about 50 people there that day). There were only 2 black people there (me and my friend that I went to high school with) and neither of us had the 20. Also, a white girl that went to my undergrad was accepted to that school and she had a 22 mcat. Numbers aren't everything.

Also congrats on your acceptance. God bless you in med school.

I do not have links to mdapps cuz I don't think they are on there. They are a friend of my friend. And no they are not lying. I also know a couple of people who aren't URM's who got into a UC with below 25 MCAT. It can happen and it does happen. I think it is cool that some schools do look at the person and not just the numbers. God bless.

I believe that all schools look at the whole person to some extent; some more than others obviously. I'm clearly evidence of a holistic approach being taken by some adcoms, but I also know that my rejections from the vast majority of schools I applied to is only a result of my poor uGPA (I am assuming rejections from those schools from which I've heard nothing).

Most of the time, a low uGPA or a low MCAT will cause people to be screened out, and that's why I ask about those applicants you describe. I'm sure there are many others here who would be interested in hearing specifics, especially given the known competitiveness of the UCs.