WAMC? Post-bacc done and low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troutk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Please see my information below. I'm hoping to get some advice on schools and what else I can do to strengthen my application. I understand that I'm not very competitive, but I think I may have a shot at some schools with the right list! Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

1. cGPA: 2.93. sGPA: 2.75. Strong trend after taking 45 credit post-bacc (quarter system).
    1. HS: 2.46 --> Freshman: 1.95 --> Sophomore: 3.11 --> Junior: 3.11 --> Senior: 2.93 --> Post-bacc: 3.91
  2. 502: 125/124/126/127 -- Retake after scoring 496 last year
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Oregon
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 7500 hours total paid (with projection), Medical Assistant 5000, Clinical Research Coordinator (1000, projected: 2500)
    1. Unpaid: 80 hours volunteering for mobile COVID-19 vaccination clinics
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1000+ hours cancer research at state teaching hospital where I am a CRC at. No publications.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 60 (Pediatrics, Family Medicine (both DO and MD), Oncology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 (200 at Boys and Girls Club, 50 community service projects)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 3 gap years: Medical assistant, clinical research coordinator, research experiences.
    2. President and vice-president of fraternity in undergrad, biology club involvement during that time
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list during post-bacc year
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Nontrad student
    2. First generation college student, grew up in a really rural and underserved area, FAP recipient. Worked throughout undergrad to pay for living expenses.
I'm very interested in the underserved rural population and would like to return to such an area once done. I think my application shows a wide variety of experiences working with a lot of different demographic groups!

I'm planning on applying to my state MD school and casting a wide net for DO schools. I'd really appreciate a list as I'm not really sure where to start!

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ATSU-SOMA
Noorda-COM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
KHSC-COM
BU-COM
DUQCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Orlando (when it opens)
If you are applying this year submit your application by September and all your secondaries by October.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ATSU-SOMA
Noorda-COM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
KHSC-COM
BU-COM
DUQCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Orlando (when it opens)
If you are applying this year submit your application by September and all your secondaries by October.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Would you recommend I target additional MD schools outside of my state school? I do recognize that my application will be a tad late for the MD cycle.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Would you recommend I target additional MD schools outside of my state school? I do recognize that my application will be a tad late for the MD cycle.
As an Oregon resident, OHSU is still your best chance. The Washington MD schools prefer in-state applicants and your MCAT would make it tough (Washington State could be possible with a higher MCAT). There aren't other MD schools that could take an OOS with a 502 (possible average to 500 if they average scores for screening).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users