Low MCAT Score... Can I still go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chickensoupdr

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I got a 26 on the mcats (cannot retake do to some family issues). But my cummulative and science gpa are both ~3.8. I have a few volunteer, research, and shadowing experiencs... Which med schools would I have a chance at?


Thanks.
 
Hello,

I got a 26 on the mcats (cannot retake do to some family issues). But my cummulative and science gpa are both ~3.8. I have a few volunteer, research, and shadowing experiencs... Which med schools would I have a chance at?


Thanks.

I really do suggest a retake...i know you have family issues, but you can take your mcat way later on (1+ year later) if you want....maybe your issues will be gone by then...

If you want to apply now, probably look into DO schools
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apply DO definitely. You shouldn't have a problem there. Maybe add your state MD school(s).

Good luck
 
The OP prolly knows about DO schools but his concern is to get into MD for whatever he/she may have so lets not suggest ideas out of the blue and try to answer the question to our best knowledge.

Yes, you can still get into medical school. There are many applicants who get in with a 28. You also have a high GPA along with EC's. Just remember to apply broadly and don't hope too much on the MD schools. Maybe consider Caribbean and DO as well.

Um. NO

You tell them to lay off DO, so you suggest Carrib? 😕
 
Yeah don't listen to that noob about Caribbean schools at all. You would have to do something wrong at this point to not get in to a US DO school
 
For sure DO and maybe MD (instate schools) if you have cool ECs and interview well. Good luck
 
The OP prolly knows about DO schools but his concern is to get into MD for whatever he/she may have so lets not suggest ideas out of the blue and try to answer the question to our best knowledge.

Yes, you can still get into medical school. There are many applicants who get in with a 28. You also have a high GPA along with EC's. Just remember to apply broadly and don't hope too much on the MD schools. Maybe consider Caribbean and DO as well.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Gasp for breath.... No
 
Getting into an MD school with a 26/3.8 depends largely on your state of residence. There are several state schools in the South with a bottom 10th %ile MCAT score of around 26. If you are a URM (American Indian, African-American/Black, or Hispanic), you will also have an easier time. If you are not a URM and are a resident of a state with not enough med school spots (eg California), it is unlikely that your stats will get you in unless you have some truly extraordinary ECs or an incredible life story. I second the suggestion to apply to DO schools. Your MCAT is right around average for students accepted to DO schools, and your GPA is well above average for DO schools.
 
Hello,

I got a 26 on the mcats (cannot retake do to some family issues). But my cummulative and science gpa are both ~3.8. I have a few volunteer, research, and shadowing experiencs... Which med schools would I have a chance at?


Thanks.

you should always try to apply to med school for the first time when your application is the best that you think it can be. If you think you can do better than a 26 on your MCAT, then I strongly suggest that you wait and get a masters/ work as a research assistant while you still have family problems. when you have time to devote to studying, take the MCAT again and apply to med school when you have a better score. There's no 'timeline' to applying to medical school. Taking a couple of years off if you have to won't hurt your chances at all. If you apply now with the low score and don't get in, then your chances might be lower when you apply as a reapplicant, which i'm sure you don't want. You just have to do what you think is best for you to reach your goal of becoming a doctor. All the best!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I got a 26 on the mcats (cannot retake do to some family issues). But my cummulative and science gpa are both ~3.8. I have a few volunteer, research, and shadowing experiencs... Which med schools would I have a chance at?


Thanks.

I second the idea of retaking the MCAT, but if that's really not possible, then get the MSAR and go through state-by-state looking at which schools will accept students in your MCAT range. Apply broadly and be willing to relocate to any location that has a school that will accept you.
 
Apply to DO schools or retake the MCAT. Those are basically your only options, unless you were willing to wait a year.
 
Keep in mind that these tables only account for if someone were to apply to every single medical school in the country...those numbers are way way way off dude

Really? I thought they were the chance of an applicant with those stats getting into any school out of those the average one with their stats would apply to. If your interpretation is right, the table is worthless than,.
 
If you have family issues and can't retake the MCAT, you might as well not apply this year; it's a ton of work to apply broadly like you would need to, constantly write update letters, and attend interviews. You really should instead focus on your family issues and buckle down and retake the MCAT in January or March or April and apply with a much clearer situation next summer.
 
Keep in mind that these tables only account for if someone were to apply to every single medical school in the country...those numbers are way way way off dude

Uh, I don't know where you got that. That table just looked at every single applicant between 2008 and 2010, looked at their stats, and if they got accepted (yes or no).

A student that applied to 1 school and got accepted counts the exact same as a student who applied to all 130+ schools and got 1 acceptance.

Unless, of course, AAMC is lying and you have insider info. In that case I concede my the floor to you.
 
Those tables do not account for how many schools people apply to, what state they live in, or any of the other things that are critically important in admissions decisions
 
Those tables do not account for how many schools people apply to, what state they live in, or any of the other things that are critically important in admissions decisions

Oh okay, yes you're right. It seemed like you were saying something completely different in your previous post though 😛

The numbers are accurate. But obviously it's not the magical table of life.
 
https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf

As you can see, you can still do it. But, I would strongly advise a retake. Wait until next year and use this year to study more and strengthen your EC's. It would be worth it. If you can get that score up just a few points to a 30, you will be golden.

Thanks for providing the table and not talking out of your as$ 👍

OP, you definitely have a fighting chance. Apply far and wide. More DO schools than MD.
 
I don't undestand what the fuss is about having a high MCAT. People on these forums stress that you want a 30+ (508+ now) but there are plenty of schools that accept lower MCAT scores. No, you may not have a 100% acceptance rate and it most likely won't be a top tier school, but if you apply broadly and to a large number of schools the chance that you will be at least given an interview and accepted somewhere is pretty good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I got a 26 on the mcats (cannot retake do to some family issues). But my cummulative and science gpa are both ~3.8. I have a few volunteer, research, and shadowing experiencs... Which med schools would I have a chance at?


Thanks.
My first MCAT was a 26 with a 3.95 GPA. Did not apply, took it again. I do not recommend trying to apply with a subpar MCAT. Totally negates your GPA.

OOPS, didn't notice date. disregard.
 
Apparently OP has been accepted into medical school based on their status. I would like to know if you had retaken the MCAT or if it was good enough as it was. Also, were you accepted into MD or DO?