Low MCAT score... should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadpanda09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT for the 1st time and got my scores back today and did terrible. A 16 N… not the best test taker L I have a 3.4 GPA and a bachelor’s degree (biology). I also am currently at UNMC going through 1st rotation of the medical technology program and will have finished before podiatry school starts. My application through AACPM is nearly complete and I was waiting on those scores. I’m looking at DMU and Ohio as potential schools. I really don’t feel that’ll I’ll have the time needed to study MCAT material and do well in the spring. Summer is a possibility as well, but I would like to apply sooner. Should I even apply for the fall 2009 admissions or hold off and try again next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a retake would definitely be necessary. If you are dedicated though, give it a try.

I took my MCAT for the 1st time and got my scores back today and did terrible. A 16 N… not the best test taker L I have a 3.4 GPA and a bachelor’s degree (biology). I also am currently at UNMC going through 1st rotation of the medical technology program and will have finished before podiatry school starts. My application through AACPM is nearly complete and I was waiting on those scores. I’m looking at DMU and Ohio as potential schools. I really don’t feel that’ll I’ll have the time needed to study MCAT material and do well in the spring. Summer is a possibility as well, but I would like to apply sooner. Should I even apply for the fall 2009 admissions or hold off and try again next year?

DEFINITELY retake :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools won't offer an interview without a retake, but if you called the schools and let them know of your situation, they might be able to work with you if you retake.

Yep...a RETAKE is a must....I don't think you'll get in anywhere with a 16...I know for a fact the minimum ( for acceptance) MCAT cut-off for OCPM is 21...You can still go through the application process though....You may get a few interviews :shrug: due to your 3.4 GPA, but as you know---they're gonna assume you're gonna retake it...If you do get interviews, I'd be prepared to explain why you have a 16.....It throws some red flags, but who knows...Everyone has bad days..;)

Good Luck :D

Thanks for the answers guys. I think i'll try that Kaplan prep course and give it a go next year. I'm definitely not going to give up though :)

Go for the gold my friend. I was in a similar boat and was accepted. They take in account your total portfolio, not only your MCAT score. Your GPA is above the average. I would assume you will have the opportunity to interview where you could explain your MCAT (plus make a good impression :)) Good luck buddy.