low mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misanne

misanne
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all well, oh that sounds so negative, but here is the situation. I just opeaned my test scores from the last MCAT aug 04 and I made a 15. PS 6 bIO 3 Verb 6 writting L.

I am studying to take the MCAT in August and I am getting my study materials rounded up. I can't help but think that I have soo much improvement to work on especially in biology and that is my major (OMG) oH MY GOSH. I plan to use mostly exam krackers and some Kaplan to study. This is my second time taking the test and I only went up 3 points from the first time in college with out preparation.

The thing is I am feeling a little bit like I will not have enough time to study ( or maybe I am getting a little scared)already, and starting to think mabye I should kinda study until next April. But then I am thinking that is a whole year again that I will be waiting to take the test.

And I am also thinking of applying to some post back prorgrams or Medical schools. I would like for someone to correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of Post-back programs is that you have to apply to the med school and be turned down to be offered a position in a post -back program.

Now I know that a 15 is not a very competitive score(but that is what I made) and I want and will try to do better!!! but if I can get into a school with my 15, by applying now. And still taking the mcat in August( and hopefully doing better) I will probally find out results around the same time. So please tell me what you think abou the situation and let me know what your opinions are, thanks

Anne

Members don't see this ad.

misanne said:
Hey all well, oh that sounds so negative, but here is the situation. I just opeaned my test scores from the last MCAT aug 04 and I made a 15. PS 6 bIO 3 Verb 6 writting L.

I am studying to take the MCAT in August and I am getting my study materials rounded up. I can't help but think that I have soo much improvement to work on especially in biology and that is my major (OMG) oH MY GOSH. I plan to use mostly exam krackers and some Kaplan to study. This is my second time taking the test and I only went up 3 points from the first time in college with out preparation.

The thing is I am feeling a little bit like I will not have enough time to study ( or maybe I am getting a little scared)already, and starting to think mabye I should kinda study until next April. But then I am thinking that is a whole year again that I will be waiting to take the test.

And I am also thinking of applying to some post back prorgrams or Medical schools. I would like for someone to correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of Post-back programs is that you have to apply to the med school and be turned down to be offered a position in a post -back program.

Now I know that a 15 is not a very competitive score(but that is what I made) and I want and will try to do better!!! but if I can get into a school with my 15, by applying now. And still taking the mcat in August( and hopefully doing better) I will probally find out results around the same time. So please tell me what you think abou the situation and let me know what your opinions are, thanks

Anne

I think you should take an MCAT preparation course. If money is an issue, then tell us more specifically how you're planning on studying for the MCAT. (besides the books you're using) That way I think people can give you better advice on how to improve your score. How you study can dramatically affect your score.

As far as the post-bacc goes, most of the one-year masters have an MCAT requirement...they're generally 27+. So I think you should look into a post-bacc program that's comprised mostly of undergrad courses and don't have an MCAT score requirement for admissions. You should read more on this forum, PM "Phil Anthropist" (the resident expert on this forum) or visit http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM to start.

Here's another idea, maybe you could take the GRE instead? I don't know when they are offered, but maybe you can just take one really quickly and if the results come back soon enough, then you'll have more options as far as the programs you can apply to.

Either way though, you'll need to improve your MCAT score sooner or later. I think if you're serious about medical schools, you should invest some time and energy into re-evaluating how to attack the MCAT. It's a very different kind of test and you may have to change the way you take tests. It's defnitely not impossible to go from a 15 to a 30+. Take it from the follwing post

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2003982#post2003982

you should also visit the MCAT forum and see what people say there

good luck.