Low MCAT - when should I retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace1999

Reaction score
I took the MCAT May 28 after studying for three months using the Princeton Review. I took seven practice tests (including a few AAMC) and scored 498, 505, 509, 512, 515, 517 and 518. I got a 499 on the actual MCAT. To say I am devastated is an understatement. I don't know what happened... maybe I was overly confident? Nervous? Maybe I rushed and made careless errors? I just don't know. I felt good about the test and was just so shocked with my score.
My question is: should I try and retest at the end of July for this cycle or is it too late for this cycle? If it is too late for this cycle, this means I would be taking a gap year. I just don't know what I should do at this point. Maybe medicine is not for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT May 28 after studying for three months using the Princeton Review. I took seven practice tests (including a few AAMC) and scored 498, 505, 509, 512, 515, 517 and 518. I got a 499 on the actual MCAT. To say I am devastated is an understatement. I don't know what happened... maybe I was overly confident? Nervous? Maybe I rushed and made careless errors? I just don't know. I felt good about the test and was just so shocked with my score.
My question is: should I try and retest at the end of July for this cycle or is it too late for this cycle? If it is too late for this cycle, this means I would be taking a gap year. I just don't know what I should do at this point. Maybe medicine is not for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear that the test did not go well. You will obviously need to retake the MCAT, but let's do some troubleshooting first before you think about timelines for the retake:

- Did you take the practice exams under simulated test conditions? Did you begin your practice exams at the same time as the actual MCAT, and did you take only the authorized breaks with no phone/internet/distractions/interruptions or pauses?
- Which official AAMC practice exams did you take and what were those scores?
- Are the practice exam scores listed above in the order you took those exams (i.e., were you continually improving your practice scores, or were your scores bouncing around?)
- Did you do any AAMC question banks?
- What was your subsection breakdown on the real test?

Don't give up the first time I took it I got a 502. The second time I studied more efficiently and got a 512

Don't give up the first time I took it I got a 502. The second time I studied more efficiently and got a 512
Thank you so much! I just feel so defeated but hearing about others who retook the test and scored so much better definitely is inspiring and encouraging! Congratulations on an awesome score btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I just feel so defeated but hearing about others who retook the test and scored so much better definitely is inspiring and encouraging! Congratulations on an awesome score btw!
Thanks I over studied the first time I took it so I didn't retain the information and got burnt out. I planned better the second time

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to hear that the test did not go well. You will obviously need to retake the MCAT, but let's do some troubleshooting first before you think about timelines for the retake:

- Did you take the practice exams under simulated test conditions? Did you begin your practice exams at the same time as the actual MCAT, and did you take only the authorized breaks with no phone/internet/distractions/interruptions or pauses?
- Which official AAMC practice exams did you take and what were those scores?
- Are the practice exam scores listed above in the order you took those exams (i.e., were you continually improving your practice scores, or were your scores bouncing around?)
- Did you do any AAMC question banks?
- What was your subsection breakdown on the real test?
- I did take the practice exams under simulated conditions but I never began them early - my actual test was at 7:30 am and it was out of town, so I stayed in a hotel but felt good about the test. I never began my practice exams until the afternoons. I was nervous about the time and just general nerves but felt positive afterwards like I knew the material. I was so wrong!
- The very first FL I did before I did any studying at all but to get a baseline was the AAMC FL 1 and I scored 498, then I did four PR practice tests and my final two were the AAMC FL 2 and AAMC FL 3 and I scored 517 and 518 so my scores continued to increase.
-The scores above are in order and I did continue to improve each time.
- I did do some AAMC question banks
- On the real test it was 125, 123, 125, 125 with CARS being my lowest (and during the practice tests CARS was consistently my lowest but I did get 126 and 127)

More Info: I am a biochemistry major and have a 3.9 gpa and have done physician shadowing, research work, volunteer hours, etc. but I do understand that none of that will help me with such a horrible MCAT score. Thank you for any advice.

- I did take the practice exams under simulated conditions but I never began them early - my actual test was at 7:30 am and it was out of town, so I stayed in a hotel but felt good about the test. I never began my practice exams until the afternoons. I was nervous about the time and just general nerves but felt positive afterwards like I knew the material. I was so wrong!
- The very first FL I did before I did any studying at all but to get a baseline was the AAMC FL 1 and I scored 498, then I did four PR practice tests and my final two were the AAMC FL 2 and AAMC FL 3 and I scored 517 and 518 so my scores continued to increase.
-The scores above are in order and I did continue to improve each time.
- I did do some AAMC question banks
- On the real test it was 125, 123, 125, 125 with CARS being my lowest (and during the practice tests CARS was consistently my lowest but I did get 126 and 127)

More Info: I am a biochemistry major and have a 3.9 gpa and have done physician shadowing, research work, volunteer hours, etc. but I do understand that none of that will help me with such a horrible MCAT score. Thank you for any advice.

Thanks for the information. Of all the "mistakes" someone can make in simulating MCAT conditions, I think adjusting the start time is the most benign issue. It's a big deal when people take unauthorized breaks or look up stuff while taking their practice tests, but it sounds like you didn't do that. I don't think the afternoon practice tests explain your score drop, unless you are so unaccustomed to an early wakeup time that you couldn't concentrate for a 7:30AM start (happens to some people if their sleep schedule is off).

I had a big MCAT score drop too. Still did fine, but it was several points lower than my FL average, and enough of a dive that I had to completely adjust my school list. I found that, while my AAMC FLs were very high, my actual AAMC question bank percentage wasn't great. There was a discrepancy there, and looking back, I think I just wasn't very comfortable with the structure of the test and questions, despite having taken 5 practice exams. I should have focused less on content review and more on working through the question bank. People who had higher practice Q averages seemed to "game" the test better, felt more comfortable with the structure/questions under the extreme stress of the real exam, and ended up getting very high scores on the day. I don't know if you can relate to this at all, but if you can, maybe there's some room for adjustment there.

My recommendation is to get through the entire question bank before you retake, and do a thorough review of every question you get wrong. AAMC material is the gold standard, so complete as much of it as possible. I think there's another AAMC FL out there now (we only had 3 when I applied), so take #4 after you've gotten through the practice questions and see how you do.

P/S is your easiest section to improve, because so much of that section is terminology recognition/association. You might download an MCAT Anki deck or make flashcards and ensure you've memorized a lot of the common concepts cold. It will buy you some easy points next time.

CARS is going to be more difficult - that's the hardest score to move for most of us, and the normal butterflies we experience during the real exam make it harder to concentrate on the passages. Keep reading, keep practicing, keep doing passages. That's all you can do. You may never be a 130+ CARS scorer, but you don't have to be. If you can get a 125+, you should be OK.

Have you ever had issues with testing anxiety before? If you have, or you think you might be heading in that direction, I recommend professional evaluation from a therapist or physician before you retake. It happens to so many students, no shame in it at all, but ensure you're in a good mental space for your retake.

It sounds like there were probably several little factors going on that led to a a flukey bad performance on one bad day. I'm sorry. It's a huge bummer, I know. A 499 is so disappointing, especially when you were doing so well on FLs, but I have confidence that you will do better next time. And know that a 499 doesn't necessarily shut you out from medicine. It's best to get above a 500, but DO is possible with a 499 - happens every year for applicants with strong applications otherwise. Know that there is a pathway to medicine for you, even with your current score - and more pathways will open up after your retake.

Sounds like you need more time to prepare than is available between now and a mid-July date, and getting your scores a month later will put you at a disadvantage because others will already be interviewing or at least have applied and are sending in secondaries by then. If you had a 509 and wanted to get to a 515, it might be possible, but given the 499, it sounds like you need more time. I spent at least 500 hours preparing for the MCAT, then at least that much in applying to schools. Its not impossible for you to increase your score 10-20 points in a month but it would take a huge commitment and effort.