LOW OAT SCORES!!! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optstu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a Bachelors in biology in May 2016. My GPA is 3.5 (science 3.3, non-science 3.8). I took the OAT last year and did not study at all and was extremely stressed because of certain circumstances and got a disappointing 250. I am an okay test taker but every time I think about this exam I get anxiety. I have been working for an optometry clinic for almost 3 years and I am taking a gap year to work full time. I have a solid application that I submitted and have received two supplementals and one interview out of the 6 schools I applied to and the other 3 are waiting for my OAT score to make a decision. My exam is exactly in one week and I have been trying my absolute best but I am struggling in organic chemistry and physics. I took my first practice exam the ADA and got a 290. My goal is to get 300 or higher. I still have to take my Crack OAT practice tests. Do you think that I will have a chance to get that score or should I postpone my exam? And what should I do to help me focus and do better on my exam. I need all the help that I can get. I would truly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would push it back a week or two. I practised using Coursesaver. I paid for a subscription and cancelled it after a month. They have tons of practice questions (particularly Organic chem) that resemble OAT test.
If you don't mind, could you PM me the list of schools that you applied too? I'm in a similar situation where I'm taking a gap year and applying this year. Haven't submitted my application just yet.

I would push it back a week or two. I practised using Coursesaver. I paid for a subscription and cancelled it after a month. They have tons of practice questions (particularly Organic chem) that resemble OAT test.
If you don't mind, could you PM me the list of schools that you applied too? I'm in a similar situation where I'm taking a gap year and applying this year. Haven't submitted my application just yet.
Can you tell me what
I graduated with a Bachelors in biology in May 2016. My GPA is 3.5 (science 3.3, non-science 3.8). I took the OAT last year and did not study at all and was extremely stressed because of certain circumstances and got a disappointing 250. I am an okay test taker but every time I think about this exam I get anxiety. I have been working for an optometry clinic for almost 3 years and I am taking a gap year to work full time. I have a solid application that I submitted and have received two supplementals and one interview out of the 6 schools I applied to and the other 3 are waiting for my OAT score to make a decision. My exam is exactly in one week and I have been trying my absolute best but I am struggling in organic chemistry and physics. I took my first practice exam the ADA and got a 290. My goal is to get 300 or higher. I still have to take my Crack OAT practice tests. Do you think that I will have a chance to get that score or should I postpone my exam? And what should I do to help me focus and do better on my exam. I need all the help that I can get. I would truly appreciate it.

Can you t
I graduated with a Bachelors in biology in May 2016. My GPA is 3.5 (science 3.3, non-science 3.8). I took the OAT last year and did not study at all and was extremely stressed because of certain circumstances and got a disappointing 250. I am an okay test taker but every time I think about this exam I get anxiety. I have been working for an optometry clinic for almost 3 years and I am taking a gap year to work full time. I have a solid application that I submitted and have received two supplementals and one interview out of the 6 schools I applied to and the other 3 are waiting for my OAT score to make a decision. My exam is exactly in one week and I have been trying my absolute best but I am struggling in organic chemistry and physics. I took my first practice exam the ADA and got a 290. My goal is to get 300 or higher. I still have to take my Crack OAT practice tests. Do you think that I will have a chance to get that score or should I postpone my exam? And what should I do to help me focus and do better on my exam. I need all the help that I can get. I would truly appreciate it.[/QUOTE

C

Can you tell which schools have you applied and received interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did all the Chad videos already and reviewed them. I got an interview at Salus, and supplementals are Indiana and Ohio and ICO and MW are waiting for my OAT scores to make a decision for a supplemental. I do not want to push it back because I have so much planned after this exam yet I am scared I wont do well like last time. Dis you hear back from any schools? I submitted my application end of July to get it out of the way and didn't start studying until mid august. I feel like my work experience, gpa, and letters of rec are pretty competitive, so that leaves my OAT as a make it or break it type of situation.

I would say to push back your OAT until november or December depending on when you feel comfortable taking the test. If you are taking practice tests and still not getting the results you want, maybe you need to evaluate the way you are studying the material. I used old mcat books from a used book store which present the material in a little different way. That helped me retake and score a 330AA 320TS from a 300AA and 270 TS. Good luck, the oat is a hard test but if you plan out how to approach it, you can succeed.

Dont you think that November would be too late to send the scores to schools. The spots might be filled already.

I don't think November would be consider too late. Schools will definitely be interviewing for spots into next year. Waiting till November will allow you to really prepare for the OAT. The only disadvantage is you will be competing with more applicants at that point.

how long did it take you to study and what was your studying strategy?

I studied from October till mid January for my 1/26 test. I used a combination of the Kaplan big blue book, mcat physics and chads videos. I knew I was weak in both chemistry and physics so I started with those sections first. I would study most every day when I had spare time. I would watch the videos and do the practice questions in my books. I also used an mcat flash card set and used quizlet to study on the go. I reviewed the other sections in between studying for physics and chemistry so I never spent too much time on any one thing.

I decided to push back my exam to end of October to have more time. I have been using the Princeton physics books as a guide and it has been helping a lot. Besides my OAT score hopefully i will get 300+ on all the subjects, do you think I am competitive?

Hi, I just read your entire thread and I'm in a similar situation. I graduated in May and took a gap year to study. I've been working full time as an optometric and ophthalmic technician and have been using the actual Kaplan course and I'm scoring in the 280's which is why I have pushed my exam to first week of December. I was wondering if you took the OAT yet and how you scored? My study materials include:
-OAT destroyer
-Kaplan course (mostly the test + quiz material)
-chads videos for general chemistry, some organic and some physics.
-AP biology cliffs

I think you have plenty of time.

Last edited:
I am in a bit of a similar situation. I took the OAT for the first time October 31st and scored in the 270s. Since I am applying for the Fall 2017 I am retaking the test in a few months to get a higher score and hopefully by then the scores will be the only thing I'm waiting on. I really wish you the best in your next OAT attempt and application process. Please be sure to update to let us know how everything unfolded.

Hello, I’m in a similar situation and wondering how your second attempt turned out? Did you increase your score? Get more offers? Got offers before your second testing?

Reactions: 1 user