Low on my MCAT verbal & OK GPA. Where to apply? OOS? DO? Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on here, and I'm hoping for some good advice. My stats are below:
-cGPA: 3.76
-sGPA: 3.72
-MCAT: 29O (P=11, B=11, V=7)----> Took it in September, 2010
-Shadowed 2 physicians
-Tons of volunteering
-Organic 2 TA
-Research
-Graduating with a B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Florida in May 2011

I'm a little lost about what all of this means. I'm the first of my family to attend college in the U.S., so I'm trying to get it all figured out on my own. I've been told that my 7 on the verbal section will really affect my chances of admission, and that really scares me. I have no idea why I scored so low on the verbal since I did so well on the practice tests. I guess my questions are:

- Based on the information I gave, what do you think my chances are of acceptance, especially since it's so late into this year's application cycle?
- Do you think the 7 will prevent me from getting accepted?
- What schools do you think I should apply to and have competitive stats for? Especially Out of State schools?
- What's the deal with Caribbean schools and International Schools? Their admission criteria are so much lower than the rest of the schools! Will a degree from a Caribbean school be competitive enough when applying to residency?
- I'm applying this cycle no matter what, but do you think it's best to go to a mediocre school if I get accepted now, or retake the MCAT to get into a better school for the next cycle?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you've gotten this far! By the way, I live in Florida and I am hispanic if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on here, and I'm hoping for some good advice. My stats are below:
-cGPA: 3.76
-sGPA: 3.72
-MCAT: 29O (P=11, B=11, V=7)----> Took it in September, 2010
-Shadowed 2 physicians
-Tons of volunteering
-Organic 2 TA
-Research
-Graduating with a B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Florida in May 2011

I'm a little lost about what all of this means. I'm the first of my family to attend college in the U.S., so I'm trying to get it all figured out on my own. I've been told that my 7 on the verbal section will really affect my chances of admission, and that really scares me. I have no idea why I scored so low on the verbal since I did so well on the practice tests. I guess my questions are:

- Based on the information I gave, what do you think my chances are of acceptance, especially since it's so late into this year's application cycle?
- Do you think the 7 will prevent me from getting accepted?
- What schools do you think I should apply to and have competitive stats for? Especially Out of State schools?
- What's the deal with Caribbean schools and International Schools? Their admission criteria are so much lower than the rest of the schools! Will a degree from a Caribbean school be competitive enough when applying to residency?
- I'm applying this cycle no matter what, but do you think it's best to go to a mediocre school if I get accepted now, or retake the MCAT to get into a better school for the next cycle?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you've gotten this far! By the way, I live in Florida if that makes any difference.

Maybe you could take the DAT can go to dental school -- being totally serious.

You seem like a good student -- GPA average to competitive.

I have a friend who tanked on the MCAT, like ~low 20s. And friend then took the DAT and got bomb stellar score on that -- I'm not sure what. And now friend is graduating from U Penn Dental.

If you want med school only, then your stats are probably low to marginal this late in the app cycle. Like I said on another post, people were getting acceptances by now in my cycle some years back.

As for retaking MCAT... 29 isn't bad, even for mid-low US MD, but you'd have to be willing to go to state schools. So think really carefully about how much you performed true to your potential, ie on retake you could get <29 :eek:

So...

If I were you, I would, in ranked preference:

1) wait until next June and then apply MD. During the gap year, I would try to do research with well-known fellowship with MD or MD-PhD affiliated with uni -- so I could build my resume and get a bomb LOR. Get published for sure, can be a presentation or abstract if you can't do a full article in time. Possibly retake MCAt so score back by June, only if I were almost positive that I could do 31+.

2) look into DAT and dental

3) maybe also look into PharmD? Serious about this one too -- I heard that they make comparable salaries to certain MD specialities... and they're always going out after work and looking great, so probably not a bad lifestyle.

Thank you coup de chance for your response. However, I don't think I would enjoy a dental or pharmacy career. I have thought of both before and just wasn't enthused. As far as retaking the MCAT goes, I think I will in the spring after taking an MCAT course. The 29O is the score for the first and only MCAT I have taken, for which I studied completely on my own. Maybe taking a course would help. You said in your post that I would "have to be willing to go to state schools". I have no problem with that honestly, as I have never been to a non-state school, so I won't really be noticing any difference. Just out of curiosity, aside from the small chance of acceptance and cost of applications, is there a reason why I shouldn't apply this time around? I really want to because I feel that if I didn't, I would always regret not even trying it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you coup de chance for your response. However, I don't think I would enjoy a dental or pharmacy career. I have thought of both before and just wasn't enthused. As far as retaking the MCAT goes, I think I will in the spring after taking an MCAT course. The 29O is the score for the first and only MCAT I have taken, for which I studied completely on my own. Maybe taking a course would help. You said in your post that I would "have to be willing to go to state schools". I have no problem with that honestly, as I have never been to a non-state school, so I won't really be noticing any difference. Just out of curiosity, aside from the small chance of acceptance and cost of applications, is there a reason why I shouldn't apply this time around? I really want to because I feel that if I didn't, I would always regret not even trying it.

Oh yeah. If you pulled 29 by yourself, you should be able to pull 31+, but I'd guess 33+ (given your 3.7 GPA).

I'd recommend Kaplan (I'm not affiliated) b/c
- more consistently better quality than Princeton
- review materials better as Kaplan spend more $$ on R&D (test writers, teachers, etc)

Search my previous post to somebody from UCLA if you want to see more about what I think re kaplan.

I considered Kaplan and actually used their comprehensive book to study. It was helpful, but I felt that the material was too focused on revision rather than strategies and test taking tips. I don't know much about the class though and will look up the thread you mentioned. I was considering Examkrackers. Do you have an opinion about this particular course?

Oh yeah, forgot about them. Ekrackers isn't bad. I used them for verbal. Wasn't bad. Wasn't good either, but was better than PR and Kap.

But you should figure out how you study best and talk to ppl at your school who have similar styles. or just talk to a lot of ppl at your school and figure out whose style matches yours... or the combo of styles closest to yours.

And by networking with the MCAT ballers at your school, you'll get to know the incoming class of med students, which can only help you when you apply to those places.

In your opinion, Examkrackers was better than Kaplan and Princeton Review? I'm surprised. From websites like this one, it seems that Kaplan is the most popular choice. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it :)

In your opinion, Examkrackers was better than Kaplan and Princeton Review? I'm surprised. From websites like this one, it seems that Kaplan is the most popular choice. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it :)

Woah there, I didn't mean to mislead you. I still think Kaplan CLASS is better overall (for everything all together and at most cities).

PR is decent if you know from friends that their teachers are good, e.g. my friend from WUSTL said the PR there (when friend took it a few years back) was pretty good for everything but verbal.

Krackers verbal is the only one of the Kracked set that I looked at. On my own. Without a class. And I wasn't wild about it. It was just okay. Better than the Kaplan and PR verbal books I saw. No classes to compare.

Alright, I gotta get away from SDN now. Gonna eat some pig and pineapples tonight :D

Last edited:
Hahaha :D Have fun!
Thanks for the help!

GO FOR THE MD!! I got lower than you did on the verbal & I've been conditionally accepted somewhere.

Thank you myu7! That makes me feel a lot better. Do you still believe my chances are OK for this cycle?
... It's already so late :(

And also, what schools do you recommend I apply to?

The 7 is bad, but won't kill your chances at every medical school.

Personally, I would strengthen the app a little and apply next year with a higher MCAT. You are really late. If you submitted tomorrow AMCAS wouldn't be done processing your primary application until mid November, and then you would have to submit secondaries, setting you back even further. But I can understand not wanting to wait.

Your being Hispanic is huge. Have you never heard of URM? It means you might actually have a shot this cycle, especially at some of your state schools. If you have to apply this year, make sure you apply to all of your state schools. BUT, if you can raise that MCAT, you might have a shot at a top 20 school next cycle. Seriously.

I think you should give it a try and apply this cycle you never know what will happen. I think your score is fine. I know someone who made lower and was accepted. A lot of ppl on sdn always try and discourage ppl. Only the admission ppl know what there looking for. Do research and apply to skools that arent as worried about numbers and more about the applicant. Try midwest skools and state skools. And you being an URM will help. Good luck.

What everyone is saying about applying this year (even if late) is true. Tabz, you should ask one of your MD contacts to set you up w some people on ad-coms of schools you want to apply to. That way you get tailored advice you need.

Especially if time and money are of the essence.

The 7 is bad, but won't kill your chances at every medical school.

Personally, I would strengthen the app a little and apply next year with a higher MCAT. You are really late. If you submitted tomorrow AMCAS wouldn't be done processing your primary application until mid November, and then you would have to submit secondaries, setting you back even further. But I can understand not wanting to wait.

Your being Hispanic is huge. Have you never heard of URM? It means you might actually have a shot this cycle, especially at some of your state schools. If you have to apply this year, make sure you apply to all of your state schools. BUT, if you can raise that MCAT, you might have a shot at a top 20 school next cycle. Seriously.