Low PAT, should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloguys123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just took my DATs and I was very sad on my PAT score even though my overall score is considered competitive. I want to go to University at Buffalo, does anyone have similar PAT scores get in?
Their min. is 16 on RC and 15 everything else to be considered. However, they show AA and PAT averages so I was wondering if PAT was heavily emphasized.
My GPA is a 3.65 and Science GPA 3.46
I was thinking of applying to dental school very early (June) and then await responses. and if I need to, plan to retake my DATs? Is that possible? Or I would have to submit my retake for the next cycle?

Here's the breakdown:
PAT 15
QR 17
RC 23
Bio 21
OG 22
GC 19

TS 21
AA 20

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I just took my DATs and I was very sad on my PAT score even though my overall score is considered competitive. I want to go to University at Buffalo, does anyone have similar PAT scores get in?
Their min. is 16 on RC and 15 everything else to be considered. However, they show AA and PAT averages so I was wondering if PAT was heavily emphasized.
I was thinking of applying to dental school very early (June) and then await responses. and if I need to, plan to retake my DATs? Is that possible? Or I would have to submit my retake for the next cycle?

Here's the breakdown:
PAT 15
QR 17
RC 23
Bio 21
OG 22
GC 19

TS 21
AA 20

Tough decision.

I would suggest a retake because i think 15 PAT is a little too low even though UB would accept the score

retake it. You have time and it looks like thats the only major lacking area. With PAT the only thing you can do to improve is practice like your life depends on it. Practice till you cant practice anymore..and then practice a little more.

I used DAT bootcamp generators which helped a lot as well as Crack DAT PAT and as you can see in my sig it worked out well for me.

I would retake it, those scores are simply to low imo.
But make sure you spent alot more time on review this time around. May I ask how did you prepare?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake it, those scores are simply to low imo.
But make sure you spent alot more time on review this time around. May I ask how did you prepare?

I used DAT bootcamp but I was having a lot of trouble doing the problems on time. I guess I did not practice enough and neglected this section. The keyholes I got on the exam were so awkward looking... many people said keyhole were harder on Bootcamp but I thought the exam was 10x harder. Should I buy crack Dat PAT? Or should I just continue to use Bootcamp but practice a lot more?

The reason schools show both AA and PAT averages is because your PAT score is not factored into your academic average (AA) score.

I believe @Faux attends UB. You might want to shoot him a message and ask about his opinion on your PAT score. Each school weighs on that a bit differently. Personally I would do a retake prior to applying this cycle. Your GPA is great, and the DAT is the easiest aspect of your application to improve IMO.

Thank you! I did not know PAT was not averaged in. I think I will retake it because the average PAT score for UB is a 20... so I want to be competitive in every area.

definitely retake. Luckily, the only part you need to improve is PAT. I suggest using more practice exams and really pound the bootcamp generators. Just make sure you keep practicing your sciences, you've already done well so make it stays that way if you choose to retake. good luck!

Here's the breakdown:
PAT 15
QR 17
RC 23
Bio 21
OG 22
GC 19

TS 21
AA 20

I would call the university before considering a retake. You have a good GPA and your are other scores are great. When retaking the exam you always run the risk of scoring lower in other sections.

Just my 2 cents...

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user