Low pre-req Grades but high bcpm + overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey how do med schools view lower pre req grades (ranging from c+ to a B)? Am I essentially done for because of this even if my bcpm comes to around a 3.5-3.6? I took upper division classes such as physical chemistry and biochemistry as well as orgo and received As in all of them but received a C in gen chem II, B in gen chem I, C+ bio I, B bio II, c then retake for A- in calculus, and C+ in Calculus II. I received an A in calc III and linear algebra however. These grades were not due to my slacking but moreso due to family circumstances (had to work 40 hrs a week to support family, parents were evicted from home, parent was terminally ill), which resulted in my lack of focus in school during the first 1.5 years of college. How do med schools view this trend and will I automatically be out of the running for top tier schools due to my grades even though I have a 36 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

hey how do med schools view lower pre req grades (ranging from c+ to a B)? Am I essentially done for because of this even if my bcpm comes to around a 3.5-3.6? I took upper division classes such as physical chemistry and biochemistry as well as orgo and received As in all of them but received a C in gen chem II, B in gen chem I, C+ bio I, B bio II, c then retake for A- in calculus, and C+ in Calculus II. I received an A in calc III and linear algebra however. These grades were not due to my slacking but moreso due to family circumstances (had to work 40 hrs a week to support family, parents were evicted from home, parent was terminally ill), which resulted in my lack of focus in school during the first 1.5 years of college. How do med schools view this trend and will I automatically be out of the running for top tier schools due to my grades even though I have a 36 MCAT?

You asked this exact same question in January and again in March...

dude, i think you'll be fine. you certainly can't rest on your laurels, and you should give some thought to how you might answer a question about "what was your biggest academic challenge" or "explain a period of poor academic performance" or something along those lines.

there's no substitute for applying early and broadly...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

My pre-req grades are as follows: gen chem A/B+, Orgo B+/B, Bio B-/A-, Physics A/C+. My overall gpa is a 3.71, and my bcpm is a 3.6. However, i worry that med schools will think that I'm unable to handle science material due to these low grades.

i dont have a disadvantaged status or anything as an excuse.... the grades are all my fault lol.

in all honesty, are these individual grades reason enough to be outed from top tier schools?

My pre-req grades are as follows: gen chem A/B+, Orgo B+/B, Bio B-/A-, Physics A/C+. My overall gpa is a 3.71, and my bcpm is a 3.6. However, i worry that med schools will think that I'm unable to handle science material due to these low grades.

i dont have a disadvantaged status or anything as an excuse.... the grades are all my fault lol.

in all honesty, are these individual grades reason enough to be outed from top tier schools?

probably not, but do you have a reason to be "inned" to top tier schools? that's probably the more salient question :)

From what one of my academic advisors told me is that you should include those low grades somewhere in your essay, and say that you're proud of those grades. Turn it around as if those low grades made you realize that you would have to work harder than you expected if you really wanted to succeed.