Low, recovering GPA student applying for career changer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone I'm currently a senior at Boston College with a GPA of 3.1. The reason why it is so low is because of a terrible room mate and a low adjusting period my freshman year, which I ended up with a 2.0 GPA. I was initially a pre-med student, but I switched out my freshman year because I was scared that my GPA for the rest of my college years would be destroyed if I stayed in the program.
I recently learned about the post-bacc program through some friends and was wondering when should I should apply to post-bacc schools. I was under the impression that I should apply early before the Fall2013 deadline, but after seeing that Hunter required applicants to apply after finishing undergrad I am a bit confused and unsure. I've always had a passion to be a doctor, but my spirit really broke after my freshman year and now that I have found that I have another chance to pursue my goal I would really like to try make things correct this time.
Also, since I am late in the game.... I have not taken the MCAT (I can't since I haven't taken the required science courses), the GRE, and do not have much ECs. However, i did do some research during my high school years. What would be my chances to get into SUNY Stony brook, and Hofstra. Furthermore, does any one else know any other career changer post-bacc programs on Long Island, New York?

Thanks a lot

First, please no excuses as to why you have a low GPA. Just give the numbers and move on.

Second, you say you do not have much in the way of ECs; what does this mean exactly? What type of clinical exposure and volunteer work have you done? Any shadowing?

Third, if you haven't been actively pursuing clinical exposure you should start NOW.

Finally, calculate your cGPA and sGPA using the AMCAS GPA calculator. You must include +/- grading if it was given. Report back with that number and your EC activities.