Low science GPA, is there a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDDsBuss

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know there's a bunch of threads in regards to this question. I plan to apply to dental school this upcoming summer and am currently studying for the DAT, but after further consideration, I'm worried and stressed in regards to my stats.

I graduated with a business degree but took all the pre-reqs required for dental school. I received ONE 'WF' in orgo 1, which I had never known that AADSAS counts towards my GPA. I retook orgo 1 and got a A- in it.

Overall, my sGPA is a 2.94 and cumulative GPA is a 3.56. (If the WF could be removed, my sGPA would go up to a 3.1 about)

During undergrad and even before college, I had to work 2-3 jobs and eventually started my own businesses. I had to financially support myself and my family due to having family members that were disabled. I have a great load of volunteer hours (approx. 600 hours) in a dental clinic and oral surgeon's office, along with 3000+ hours working in a hospital.

Now, if I kill the DAT, do I really have a chance? Appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Raising your sGPA to at least a 3.0 could help a lot. Take some upper division biochemistry or microbiology courses if you can. With that being said, a strong DAT score (21+ AA/TS) might land you a few interviews if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Raising your sGPA to at least a 3.0 could help a lot. Take some upper division biochemistry or microbiology courses if you can. With that being said, a strong DAT score (21+ AA/TS) might land you a few interviews if you apply broadly.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. If that 'WF' was not apart of the AADSAS calculation, I would've had that 3.0+ sGPA. Any suggestions with applying "broadly"? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is never one thing as a whole that defines your application. A low gpa will just have to be made up with other things. I think your non-trad background is a good start and something that should be emphasized in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
It is never one thing as a whole that defines your application. A low gpa will just have to be made up with other things. I think your non-trad background is a good start and something that should be emphasized in your application.

I appreciate the feedback. My entire life story is what has motivated me to go into the field. I spent a vast majority of my youth growing up in a healthcare environment due to the circumstances described above, my family members being disabled. I chose dentistry later in college after I personally had dental work done and I saw the potential of a field that allows for a balance between applied science and owning a business. As a first-generation college graduate, do you think this should be emphasized in my personal statement? (Youth experiences, how I ended up with dentistry, starting my own businesses, etc?)

Raise sGPA to >3.0 and you're good. Your cGPA is fine just get a 21+

Yes, there is a chance (heck, I have a 2.34 sGPA and people are telling me not to give up!). Just get your sGPA over a 3.0, 21+ DAT and I think you'll be fine. And, your extracurriculars are solid so you should be fine.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. If that 'WF' was not apart of the AADSAS calculation, I would've had that 3.0+ sGPA. Any suggestions with applying "broadly"? Thanks!
I mean, it depends. How much are you willing to pay (with interest) in four years? Which cities do you see yourself living in? Do you mind a larger class size? Is the curriculum a good fit for you? These are just some questions you should be asking yourself before adding a program to your list. I applied to 13 in total. Some applicants apply to more but I think that's a bit unnecessary, and in some extreme cases, stupid and desperate.

Like you, I was worried about my chances back in June. Before the last couple of academic updates, my sGPA was just under 3.1. Not that it's any better now (almost 3.2), but a little pessimism was definitely warranted. Despite that, I've got my third post-December interview coming up next week, my fifth overall this cycle. No offers yet but I guess that has to do with me not nailing the interviews. I keep getting waitlisted, lol. If you're better than me at interviewing, there's no doubt you'll receive an offer or two, especially with ECs like yours. Good luck!

I agree with everyone else to get your sGPA as close to a 3.0+ if possible! My GPA's were below average (stats in signature) but I definitely think my DAT and post-bacc helped my app a TON stat-wise. Just keep up the great involvement in your EC's! :) Your non-trad background and circumstances would definitely be taken into consideration

I mean, it depends. How much are you willing to pay (with interest) in four years? Which cities do you see yourself living in? Do you mind a larger class size? Is the curriculum a good fit for you? These are just some questions you should be asking yourself before adding a program to your list. I applied to 13 in total. Some applicants apply to more but I think that's a bit unnecessary, and in some extreme cases, stupid and desperate.

Like you, I was worried about my chances back in June. Before the last couple of academic updates, my sGPA was just under 3.1. Not that it's any better now (almost 3.2), but a little pessimism was definitely warranted. Despite that, I've got my third post-December interview coming up next week, my fifth overall this cycle. No offers yet but I guess that has to do with me not nailing the interviews. I keep getting waitlisted, lol. If you're better than me at interviewing, there's no doubt you'll receive an offer or two, especially with ECs like yours. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the questions I should be asking myself. I know some schools are out of state friendly and some aren’t. I’ll have to research that too before applying to make sure I don’t waste my time and my money. It can get super expensive to say the least.

Hey, at least you’re getting some interviews. This shows that you have potential and a chance. Don’t give up and just practice those interview skills. I’m confident you’ll get an acceptance letter somewhere soon. Good luck to you as well! Thank you for your recommendations, future DDS/DMD

I agree with everyone else to get your sGPA as close to a 3.0+ if possible! My GPA's were below average (stats in signature) but I definitely think my DAT and post-bacc helped my app a TON stat-wise. Just keep up the great involvement in your EC's! :) Your non-trad background and circumstances would definitely be taken into consideration

Absolutely! I plan to take a few extra courses (Biology, chemistry, other sciences that count per AADSAS guidelines) to help me increase the sGPA. Thank you for the motivation and words of wisdom! Have you started dental school already?

was your post bacc a SMP or just a collection of upper level science classes?

Absolutely! I plan to take a few extra courses (Biology, chemistry, other sciences that count per AADSAS guidelines) to help me increase the sGPA. Thank you for the motivation and words of wisdom! Have you started dental school already?
Np! Good luck!! I start school this July :D

was your post bacc a SMP or just a collection of upper level science classes?
Just upper div science classes!

Np! Good luck!! I start school this July :D

Just upper div science classes!

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it and wish you look in the near future with your studies! Thanks for the boost of confidence and recommendations. Good luck.

Yes, there is a chance (heck, I have a 2.34 sGPA and people are telling me not to give up!). Just get your sGPA over a 3.0, 21+ DAT and I think you'll be fine. And, your extracurriculars are solid so you should be fine.

I have a 2.49 cGPA and a 2.09 sGPA during undergrad and I throughout my undergrad, my mother was battling cancer and my brother was a severe car wreck with a coma; in addition, I had to work 30+ hrs/week and doing full-time in undergrad at USF in Cell & Molecular Biology. I really would like to know if i even have a shot at a masters program to get into dental school?

@DDS1993 How many hours factor into your 2.49 and 2.09 and are you a URM?

@AppalachianDentalBoy I am Hispanic and just had a very rough undergraduate... my DAT AA/TS 18/18... i just need to know if I have any shot at all in a post bacc program or a masters program... i have applied to usf special masters program (MSP3) and it has been three weeks i haven't heard back from them yet. I was working at a dental office for 30+ hrs/week and full-time student with 16-18 cr hrs/ semester.

Yikes... you are looking at 2+ years of classes just to raise your sGPA to >3.0 I'd start calling deans to see if it is even possible to dig yourself out of the hole. Look into masters programs that give a guaranteed interview too. Check out the under 3.0 club thread too.

@AppalachianDentalBoy yeah... I've been asking around and I have an appointment with an admissions officer at LECOM and I am still waiting for a response from USF.

Hello all,

I know there's a bunch of threads in regards to this question. I plan to apply to dental school this upcoming summer and am currently studying for the DAT, but after further consideration, I'm worried and stressed in regards to my stats.

I graduated with a business degree but took all the pre-reqs required for dental school. I received ONE 'WF' in orgo 1, which I had never known that AADSAS counts towards my GPA. I retook orgo 1 and got a A- in it.

Overall, my sGPA is a 2.94 and cumulative GPA is a 3.56. (If the WF could be removed, my sGPA would go up to a 3.1 about)

During undergrad and even before college, I had to work 2-3 jobs and eventually started my own businesses. I had to financially support myself and my family due to having family members that were disabled. I have a great load of volunteer hours (approx. 600 hours) in a dental clinic and oral surgeon's office, along with 3000+ hours working in a hospital.

Now, if I kill the DAT, do I really have a chance? Appreciate the feedback.

Hey,

I applied this past cycle in September (kinda late) with a cGPA of 3.43 (3.50 before AADSAS recalculated it) and a sGPA of 2.93
I did well on my DAT, AA = 23 TS = 24 PAT = 21 RC = 19 BIO = 27 CHEM = 24 OCHEM = 22 QR = 21

I applied to 9 programs:
UMN (in state)
Marquette
USC
NYU
Touro
Columbia (long shot)
PENN (long shot)
Temple
BU

I interviewed at UMN, NYU, and Touro.
I was accepted to NYU, have put down my initial deposit, and am planning on going there. Apparently starting in March (today) schools can see where you've put your deposit down, so I don't expect any other acceptances or interviews.

NYU is expensive, but it's a great school and I'm happy I'm in. I do wish I had taken another science course to raise my sGPA above 3.0, though; it probably would have been beneficial. I would suggest you do that if you can, but also apply to schools that weigh the DAT more heavily (as I understand NYU does) & kill your DAT. It's not as hard a test as people make it out to be, you can definitely do it.

I also did poorly in Ochem 1. Gotta D, retook it and got a B+. I also got C's in general chemistry. I rectified these grades by doing well on my DAT in those sections.

I only had ~30 shadowing hours before applying and had about ~100 by the time of acceptance (I kept updating my application throughout the weeks).

You'll be fine. Just make sure to write a killer personal statement and don't stress when you go in for interviews. I think you'l get in, especially with your extra curriculars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
W
Hey,

I applied this past cycle in September (kinda late) with a cGPA of 3.43 (3.50 before AADSAS recalculated it) and a sGPA of 2.93
I did well on my DAT, AA = 23 TS = 24 PAT = 21 RC = 19 BIO = 27 CHEM = 24 OCHEM = 22 QR = 21

I applied to 9 programs:
UMN (in state)
Marquette
USC
NYU
Touro
Columbia (long shot)
PENN (long shot)
Temple
BU

I interviewed at UMN, NYU, and Touro.
I was accepted to NYU, have put down my initial deposit, and am planning on going there. Apparently starting in March (today) schools can see where you've put your deposit down, so I don't expect any other acceptances or interviews.

NYU is expensive, but it's a great school and I'm happy I'm in. I do wish I had taken another science course to raise my sGPA above 3.0, though; it probably would have been beneficial. I would suggest you do that if you can, but also apply to schools that weigh the DAT more heavily (as I understand NYU does) & kill your DAT. It's not as hard a test as people make it out to be, you can definitely do it.

I also did poorly in Ochem 1. Gotta D, retook it and got a B+. I also got C's in general chemistry. I rectified these grades by doing well on my DAT in those sections.

I only had ~30 shadowing hours before applying and had about ~100 by the time of acceptance (I kept updating my application throughout the weeks).

You'll be fine. Just make sure to write a killer personal statement and don't stress when you go in for interviews. I think you'l get in, especially with your extra curriculars.

Wow, thank you for the motivation. I will definitely keep this in mind. Also, is there a way to check which schools weigh the DAT more heavily and accept students with a low GPA?

My science GPA would have been over a 3.0 but the one WF I have is really bringing down my sGPA. If that was not on my transcript, my sGPA would have been around a 3.0-3.1. Also, for my personal statement - would you recommend I speak about the WF or just leave that out completely and focus on my life story? (How and why I ended up where I am)

Congratulations on getting in! It may expensive, but long as you're happy and pursuing your dreams. Wish you nothing but the best of luck with your program. When you're a dentist, invest your money, make the money work for you, and your student loans will eventually decline. This is where my business mind comes into play haha. Good luck and thank you.

W

Wow, thank you for the motivation. I will definitely keep this in mind. Also, is there a way to check which schools weigh the DAT more heavily and accept students with a low GPA?

My science GPA would have been over a 3.0 but the one WF I have is really bringing down my sGPA. If that was not on my transcript, my sGPA would have been around a 3.0-3.1. Also, for my personal statement - would you recommend I speak about the WF or just leave that out completely and focus on my life story? (How and why I ended up where I am)

Congratulations on getting in! It may expensive, but long as you're happy and pursuing your dreams. Wish you nothing but the best of luck with your program. When you're a dentist, invest your money, make the money work for you, and your student loans will eventually decline. This is where my business mind comes into play haha. Good luck and thank you.

I don't know whether there is a way to check which schools weigh the DAT heavier, but I heard NYU weighs DAT more so there's one, at least. I would suspect that schools with larger class sizes would weigh the DAT more, but that's just my opinion. You should look at what the minimum science GPA is at the schools you want to apply to (usually they give the average but if you look hard enough you can find the range for cGPA, sGPA, and DAT scores as well-- I think there's some excel spreadsheet out there somewhere with this information). I wouldn't apply to many schools where the lowest sGPA in a class is higher than what you will end up having. By the way, it might not hurt to try and take an additional science course or two during the summer, if you're able. It would be worth the investment if you are able to manage it; especially if it would enable you to get into a program that costs tens of thousands of dollars less.

I did make a quick note of my lower scores on my personal statement but only as an afterthought. That is to say, my main statement was my story about why I am interested in dentistry, and since I had space at the end for a small paragraph in parentheses to explain my lower grades, I made use of it. I don't know if that helped or not, to be honest. Some schools will have additional questions on their supplemental where they might ask you to explain any grades lower than a "D", but not all will. If you do mention it, have a good reason for it and make sure you don't word it in such a way that it sounds as though you are trying to shift the blame or make unfair excuses. Be prepared to address the grade during your interviews as well.

NYU might be a good option for you to apply to, if the debt doesn't scare you. I am currently looking into HPSP scholarships to apply for after my first year, since it's too late to do so now.