Low Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlb0917

Reaction score
I graduated in May with an overall GPA of 3.441 and a science GPA of 3.14. I am hoping to apply to PA school this upcoming cycle in April 2020. I have almost 2,000 clinical hours from volunteering and working as a medical scribe (outpatient and Emergency). I have strong letters of rec and support from faculty and MD and PA clinicians. I have not taken the GRE yet. I am hoping for some advice on my steps moving forward as I'm feeling slightly defeated about my low science GPA. Anything is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do at this point is apply broadly, and apply to programs that play to your strengths. That’s really all you can do. Being a medical scribe gives you the type of health care experience that puts you in the category of applying to schools where other candidates will also be medical scribes, or have other weak health care experience. Folks in that realm will tend to have higher GPAs to make up for that. You won’t qualify for the relatively fewer PA programs that look at high quality HCE. The other important thing to focus on is the GRE. That’s the last big item you can do in short order to improve your profile. Everything else involves a significant amount of time and effort. The truth is that everyone has the easy things like obtaining volunteering experience, entry level HCE, and good letters of recommendation. But your GPAs are above 3.0, which is the traditional cutoff for having a program look at you. Your overall GPA isn’t terrible. I wouldn’t say that your science GPA is awful, but the big question is whether it’s competitive among your peers.

I used to be bullish on the NP and PA field, but that’s changing. The market is different than it used to be, and the outlay of debt, particularly for PA school, can be significant. My advice to anyone at this point is that one should plan on applying just once to PA school, and work on an alternative career of you have grades that aren’t excellent. The reason why is that the way the PA application cycles work, it leaves applicants with a lot of time to spin their wheels in between when you turn in your application, and when you even hear back about whether you were accepted or not. Scattered in the middle of those two things is the interviews. By the time you have an answer, you’ve had to decide what to do for that year without the benefit of any constructive insight provided by the process. If you don’t get in, you don’t have a lot of time to cobble together a solid plan for improvement before you have to start turning in applications. There’s a lot more to my thinking on the subject, and maybe I’ll elaborate if the opportunity presents.

Reactions: 1 user
Right, that science gpa is a little low. The overall is fine, but you have some good ECs. Why not try retaking some science classes in the evening/weekend/online just to show you can handle tough science classes. While you probably will do well in the clinical part, you still have to get through the didactic and pass boards/high stake exams. Also do very well on the GRE. If you don't do well on the GRE, you'll prove that you can't really handle academic coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in May with an overall GPA of 3.441 and a science GPA of 3.14. I am hoping to apply to PA school this upcoming cycle in April 2020. I have almost 2,000 clinical hours from volunteering and working as a medical scribe (outpatient and Emergency). I have strong letters of rec and support from faculty and MD and PA clinicians. I have not taken the GRE yet. I am hoping for some advice on my steps moving forward as I'm feeling slightly defeated about my low science GPA. Anything is appreciated.
What was your major? Biochemistry with that GPA...eh, ok, you get more leeway. Psychology with that major? Not so much.

why would anyone major in biochemistry..?
What do you mean why would anyone major in biochem? Because they are interested in it? Because they simply wanted to? Because it's a great foundation for many professions? I do not have a biochem undergrad degree but I know plenty who do.

Why does anyone pick ANY major?

What do you mean why would anyone major in biochem? Because they are interested in it? Because they simply wanted to? Because it's a great foundation for many professions? I do not have a biochem undergrad degree but I know plenty who do.

yeah thats a load of crap. 'Because they are interested in it' blah blah blah. No one ever says their interested in it.

Maybe its indeed a labor of love to some folks.... biochemists, mostly. It can be a graveyard for folks pursuing professional degrees or medicine if they aren’t great students.

What was your major? Biochemistry with that GPA...eh, ok, you get more leeway. Psychology with that major? Not so much.

I agree with that to probably the same extent you are suggesting. But word to the wise... best not to push ones luck too far. There’s only so much respect given to folks who are gluttons for punishment. A biochem major with poor GPA quickly hits the point where they are demonstrating that they aren’t understanding what they are doing within their chosen major. Part of a successful life is about finding what you are good at and excelling. The psychology major with a 3.9 trumps the biochem major with the 2.9. The history major with the 3.7 that aced his/her science prereqs leaves enough to the imagination that schools can easily find themselves intrigued by the novelty of turning that person into a physician, dentist, or PA.

The kinds of folks I’ve seen consistently have success getting into professional schools (besides the typical smart kids with good grades) are folks with decent grades and non conventional or exotic emphasis to their studies. Yes a biology major knocks out quite a bit more of the pre professional prereqs along the way to the degree, but those folks can have their applications easily lost along the way among the other 85% of applicantswho have a similar background. But there are plenty of other successful applicants who get to study something they like and have the time to knock out tough science coursework as electives.