Low Step 1 Score

Started by ahartman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ahartman

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have noticed that several OB programs have a Step 1 cutoff score of 220. My score is below this but should I still apply to these programs? I have heard that you can still apply if you're below the cutoff if you have good 3rd year grades and Step 2 score. I haven't taken Step 2 yet, but my 3rd year grades have been awesome so far. Thanks for the help!
 
I applied to one program where my Step 1 was below their published cutoff. I waited until I had my Step 2 CK score back (in September of my ERAS cycle) and then emailed the coordinator at this program to ask. I included in my email that I was aware that my application didn't meet their Step 1 cutoff, but that I improved on CK (then tell them that score), and that I was really interested in their program for [fill in particular reason]. I ended up getting an interview invitation there, so based on my n=1, I think it is worth your while to spend some attention on the places that you are genuinely interested in. Personally, I wouldn't recommend submitting your ERAS to these programs without touching base with them first, since it's such an easy way for them to rule out your application.