Low Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was your estimate of 350k for PP or for academic? I was under the impression that academic anesthesiologists were more like 250-300k but also with an easier lifestyle/workload to match.

Plenty of my friends are making $350K in academics. In fact, that's the average salary in many locations for an Academic Anesthesiologist with 5 years+ experience with a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

These numbers are from 2012 so you can assume that salaries are likely $10-$15K higher in 2016.

Physician-Salary-by-Specialty1.jpg

Yes, $187K after tax is upper middle class. In addition, I think $350K is a very realistic salary for a fellowship trained Anesthesiologist especially Peds, pain or Cardiac. If you add in your spouse's income of $100K+ then your lifestyle should be pretty good.

Now, as for what the job entails I doubt you fully grasp it at this point. Supervising 4 rooms is not a fun way to spend your career and if you can make a living covering 2 rooms (academic) or doing your own cases then I recommend that route.

What about a split 50/50 of pain and general anesthesia...i like pain but i can't completely give up general anesthesia to do it, afterall that's why i went into anesthesia to begin with

And the idea of spending years to learn a craft and never getting the satisfaction of utilizing that craft sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment....i can't imagine spending my whole career supervising and not actually doing my own cases.

And the idea of spending years to learn a craft and never getting the satisfaction of utilizing that craft sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment....i can't imagine spending my whole career supervising and not actually doing my own cases.
That's the future of medicine. Preventing midlevels from ****ing up, until they get good enough so that they don't need supervision anymore... then you're fired.

Don't fool yourselves that midlevels and/or supervision are not about replacing doctors. Or should I say eliminating?

Status
Not open for further replies.