Low-tier IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrypticRomantic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was a list of any low-tier/ community IM programs I might have a shot at with a step score of 204, COMLEX sub 450s. I am hoping for bigger cities if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was a list of any low-tier/ community IM programs I might have a shot at with a step score of 204, COMLEX sub 450s. I am hoping for bigger cities if possible.

I agree with the above comment! IM is almost shockingly pure Step 1 number game. Case in point: a friend of mine did very similar to you and put out 70 or so apps, the yield was like 7 interviews. 7 Interviews for an app that has no red flags! My friend said that it would have been better with at least 100 apps. One PC told me that for IM, step 1 is still king. For better or for worse.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general, it's anything that does not have "university of" in it or "[insert] school of medicine". You probably will match into a community program. Chances are not good for low tier university program, but you should apply to a few.

Well given that STEP 1 score is no more, it'll be interesting to see how IM places in larger cities.

Well given that STEP 1 score is no more, it'll be interesting to see how IM places in larger cities.
I mean it’s another several years until it’s even possibly starting soooo....

Step 1 is king. Comlex is garbage.

I had a 50+ point drop between comlex 1 and comlex 2.

I had a 20+ point increase between step 1 and step 2.

My step 1 was higher than 205, but less than 215.

130 apps. Yielded about 15 interviews.

Went to 13 due to my school trying to screw me over for taking time off for interviews (STUPID) and am ranking all 13.

I just want to match at this point and move on.

Bottom line is... Get ready to apply everywhere.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Step 1 gets you in the door.

ECs, personal statement, story, 3rd yr comments, optional that institution away performance, and interview will settle PD rank list.

PDs at the end of the day don’t want a bunch of 240s-250s nerds. They like that diversity punchline.

Be you after you meet the cutoff.

ECs, personal statement, story, 3rd yr comments, optional that institution away performance, and interview will settle PD rank list.

PDs at the end of the day don’t want a bunch of 240s-250s nerds. They like that diversity punchline.

FAM, step 1 is p/f. I mean I'd argue it doesn't even get you in the door anymore.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot what board this was on. I apologize.

FAM, step 1 is p/f. I mean I'd argue it doesn't even get you in the door anymore.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot what board this was on. I apologize.
It is still relevant for this match and the next one. It is a fair question. Nobody knows for sure if the 2022 match will have any p/f step 1’s.

Reactions: 1 user

PD's will take 240s-250s "nerds" if their program is sought after. Those people got higher scores because they worked harder and have a better grasp of the material. Working hard isn't nerdy.

To the OP- apply broadly and see what you get.

• Love
You will be ok with low tier IM programs... make sure you put in enough applications. Less likely if you are choosing to want bigger cities.

This reminds me a lot about med school admissions. Like whatever cool EC doesn't make up for a poor MCAT score. But after you meet the MCAT cut off, it's a fair game.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a lot of desirable community programs i.e more established, in house competitive specialties, programs in cities over 200k will probably be reaches for you. But apply broadly enough and you may land one.

Community IM is still on the table for you. Forget about university IM though. I got a 235 step 1, 255 step 2, 560s level 1, 770s level 2 and applied to 40 places and got 10 interviews to low/mid tier IM programs. Unless you have thousands of dollars lying around that you're wanting to burn, don't waste your money on university IM. Also, don't forget that you're likely wasting your money if you live in Maine and apply to a program in Arizona. Regional bias is a real thing when applying to residency.

Reactions: 4 users
Community IM is still on the table for you. Forget about university IM though. I got a 235 step 1, 255 step 2, 560s level 1, 770s level 2 and applied to 40 places and got 10 interviews to low/mid tier IM programs. Unless you have thousands of dollars lying around that you're wanting to burn, don't waste your money on university IM. Also, don't forget that you're likely wasting your money if you live in Maine and apply to a program in Arizona. Regional bias is a real thing when applying to residency.
I agree. OP should apply community IM. Low tier uni IM need like a 225-235 and mid tier Uni 235-245. Good looks on the mid tier IIs