low tier private schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesypoofs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Know any low tier private schools that might look at, dedication from a 27 year old who has made sacrifices and a 3.6 neuroscience graduate GPA, more than just the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

1 comes to mind..

finch cms

id retake the mcat with that gpa though

Based on the very limited information you provide, all medical schools will consider you. Your age is not a problem; indeed, 26 is still young.

There is a saying "the devil is in the details." Where did you go to college? Where did you take the science courses? What state are you a resident of? What else do you have to offer besides science grades? Medically-related experience? Any other interesting experiences? How well will you interview? Who will you get recommendations from? Do you have a premedical advisor? Have you spoken with admissions at any medical school for advice?

If you were a physician, would you attempt a diagnosis and treatment knowing only blood pressure and temperature?

Members don't see this ad :)
make a long story short:
started out pre-law, then @ 21 told I had breast cancer, turns out a benign tumor
so switched to pre-med loosing about 70 hours of credit(not loosing but not going anywhere)
graduated with pre-med classes with 3.6
took the mcat with only one science class under my belt(cocky i know) made a 16
next took it 20,21,22,23 and 23 yes your math is right i have taken the test 6 times
so, got a job at the medical center locally and did clinical neurology, was a coordinator for stroke studies, had my own patients, great paying job
rejected from state school, dean suggested i get a masters, so next day resigned from my job, so there went over half of my husband and i's income, and enrolled in a master's under the neuroscience department immediately
have maintained a 3.6 gpa, volunteer in n.i.c.u. rocking and feeding babies, 4 years ago for about 2 years volunteered in the ER
So, there are my stats, I am taking the MCAT next Saturday and feel better as far as my skills in answering correctly because had 21 hours of specialized graduate courses.

I really want to apply to schools who look at more than a MCAT, i am hoping to get between 27-30 but who knows. So any advice?

whoa...take the MCAT and then do that research. (But for future reference, don't leave out the part about you taking the MCAT six times before when asking for advice, that's kind of important) Right now however, you should be studying!

wow, thats alot of mcats
you masochist!
goodluck-;)

i thought they wouldn't let you take it more than 2 or 3 times without special permission. is this for real? how did they let you take it 6 times???

you might want to give the DO option a look. barring something extraordinary in your application, with a sub 25 mcat the allopathic route, while not out of the question, will be very difficult.

good luck

believe it or not its easy to take the mcat after 3 times, and by the way every medical school where i have talked to the dean of admissions, they could care less how many times you take it, it shows determination.

and some of us aren't good standarized test takers, yes, i've taken it alot, but honestly the first four times were premature

I will get in maybe not this year but one day. And of course I realize 23 is subpar, i am aiming for 27, good enough for my state school

Yeah - my advice: if you're reading this....STOP. Get back to studying.

3.6 is nice, but I'd bet you need >27 to have a good shot at anything but your state school. Rumor has it that your MCAT factors in more heavily that GPA. And even if you do well (say 28), you still have a string of tests in the low 20s that could look really bad if an adcom cared to look at previous tests.

All those MCATs. It's kindof sad, and not to be mean, but that really seems to reflect my signature well.

Goodluck. You seem dedicated to going to medical school, and it'd be a shame to let one stupid test hold you back. Hopefully you'll pull off a 40 on the test and go wherever you want.

You should seriously apply to a lot of DO schools.

Just to answer the question in the original post, check out:

Finch/CMS
GWU
SLU
Temple
MCPHU/Drexel
NYMC
Vermont
MCW
Penn State
Albany
BU
All of your state schools
DO schools if you're willing
St George's if you're willing

All of the schools mentioned accept a good amt of out of state applicants and are mostly lower tiered.
I got into Temple and Finch (and UF where I'm going) with a 3.66 and a 27 (9,9,9), and I was interviewed at GW, BU, and Vermont also (waitlisted)....just to give you an idea if you end up with the same stats :)

I wish you the best of luck on the next mcats...if they don't go as well as planned, consider taking a prep course. Now that you have the background, though, you should be fine. :)

buena suerte!