low tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdood68

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hear people refering to low tier schools?? what kind of schools are these??

Members don't see this ad.

low tier! :D

Ok..but seriously..these are schools that don't recieve much fed money for research..that is the primary reason why they are ranked low. Also, their acceptance stats (at least for GPA) are on the low end..ie 3.3-3.4.

But..remember that this may not mean much to you if you didn't want to pursue academic medicine to begin with. Also, I found that in these "lower-tier" schools there were plenty of research opportunities (of course not as much as top-ranked schools)...just not many people interested or willing. So...it is my opinion that ranking are to be used at your own discretion. You may or may not agree with someone else's perception of a good school. :)

wow!!! 3.3-3.4 gpa?? where were they when i applied?? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
without arguing whether or not there are truly any "low tiered" schools in medicine, here's at least a partial list:

Albany, NYMC, Finch, MCP Hahnemann, Jefferson

i've been accepted to creighton university, and i know that omaha is not the greatest area in the world, but i don't know much about its reputation besides, "it's a good school." least that's what the dean of admissions at ut houston said, along with some of my mom's coworkers =P