Research Heavy Low/Mid-tier Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicallycozy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
So I'm coming up with my school list for this year while my app goes through verification (sent to all my state schools - NJ). I'm a reapplicant who had a failed cycle applying MD/PhD only. I got II's at a T30 MSTP and for an MD-only (507, 3.6, complete mid-Sept), WL for both.
I've decided that this cycle I'd only apply to 1-3 MD/PhD programs and do MD/DO the rest.

Does anyone know any research heavy low/mid-tier MD programs? Or schools that really like research that aren't Harvard, NYU, etc... I have no shot of getting in there. I have decent clinical/service hours but my application is HEAVILY research oriented - multiple labs, 2 pubs (one 1st author a few months ago), currently working as an RA full time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Most academic medical centers are heavy on research. I don’t know how useful the distinction of mid/low tier is honestly. Apply to schools where your stats are in range.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y'all,
So I'm coming up with my school list for this year while my app goes through verification (sent to all my state schools - NJ). I'm a reapplicant who had a failed cycle applying MD/PhD only. I got II's at a T30 MSTP and for an MD-only (507, 3.6, complete mid-Sept), WL for both.
I've decided that this cycle I'd only apply to 1-3 MD/PhD programs and do MD/DO the rest.

Does anyone know any research heavy low/mid-tier MD programs? Or schools that really like research that aren't Harvard, NYU, etc... I have no shot of getting in there. I have decent clinical/service hours but my application is HEAVILY research oriented - multiple labs, 2 pubs (one 1st author a few months ago), currently working as an RA full time.
With that MCAT score, you job is to get into A medical school, not merely a research loving school.

And like it or not, you'll need DO schools on your list. PCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros, NYITCOM, my schools and KCU have decent research.

With that MCAT score, you job is to get into A medical school, not merely a research loving school.

And like it or not, you'll need DO schools on your list. PCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros, NYITCOM, my schools and KCU have decent research.
I know, I’m trying to maximize my chances of A school by asking this question, since my application is so research heavy. I don’t think schools that are majorly service oriented and not so into research will give me the time of day, which is why they are not on my list. I’d just be throwing money their way.

And I also said I was applying DO.. I already have a school list made up for that, have all my stuff already in. Applied to all those schools and some more.

I know, I’m trying to maximize my chances of A school by asking this question, since my application is so research heavy. I don’t think schools that are majorly service oriented and not so into research will give me the time of day, which is why they are not on my list. I’d just be throwing money their way.

And I also said I was applying DO.. I already have a school list made up for that, have all my stuff already in. Applied to all those schools and some more.
How are your ECs other than research,?

Being research heavy isn't going to get you into a med school.

Hi y'all,

Here are the schools where I think that you're competitive

Albany
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
VCU
EVMS
Hackensack Meridian
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
WVU if from the Appalachians
Your state school(s).

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I echo everyone’s advice that you should get into a med school first. If you really wanna do research as an MD and your school doesn’t have a good research department, you can take research years at NIH or at a different program.

Reactions: 2 users
How are your ECs other than research,?

Being research heavy isn't going to get you into a med school.
pretty average, i have 232 clinical volunteer down, another 400 to go this year that i reported in my primaries. 260 nonclinical. lots of leadership positions both in research and in my volunteering, very heavily involved in the trenton community and in my ethnic community as well. Was a TA, got a few awards w/ scholarships, lots of posters and presentations, pubs/stats that i said earlier, 100 shadowing. mentorship position in my community for other first-gens.

Last edited:
I echo everyone’s advice that you should get into a med school first. If you really wanna do research as an MD and your school doesn’t have a good research department, you can take research years at NIH or at a different program.
ah see i didn't even know about the NIH research year!! thank you for bringing that up

Here are the schools where I think that you're competitive

Albany
Temple
Tulane
Wayne State
Netter
SLU
VCU
EVMS
Hackensack Meridian
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
WVU if from the Appalachians
Your state school(s).

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Ah thank you for this. And very much agree with the DO programs. I just added my app to UNECOM, seems like an awesome DO program with good research. Will avoid those schools.

I second the suggestion of Virginia Tech. They take a fair number from OOS, accepted students have modest GPAs on average, and they love research.