LOW undergrad gpa applying for MA/MS IO Psych

Started by eegemm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eegemm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I just recently graduated from a university as a psych major/biological science minor. I was originally going for a pre-med route and taking all the pre-reqs for medical schools and biological science courses killed my gpa. It was already too late to bring up my overall gpa and I wish I gave up the pre-med route sooner.
After graduation, I realized that I enjoyed studying psychology and began researching for different Master's Programs. I want to apply for IO Psych and clinical psych for incoming fall and I wanted to see what my chances would be.
The following are my stats:

2010-2013
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biological Science
Undergrad GPA: 2.59
Major GPA: 3.22
(56 credits of science courses: gchem, ochem, bio, physics)
Experience: ~2 years as a research assistant, 7 months as college counselor (intern), volunteers at hospital, 2 years as an interpreter
Programs I'm applying to:
1. NYU: IO psych
2. Pepperdine: Clinical
3. CSU Northridge: Behavioral psych
4. CSU San Bernardino: IO Psych
5. PCOM: organization psych
6. Columbia: S/O Psych
7. George Mason: IO
8. Drexel: Gen. Psych

(worked part-time while taking 20 credits for 3 quarters/family troubles, which reduced my gpa.)

I am currently studying for GRE and will be working as a behavior interventionist next month to gain experience.

Please provide me with an advice on what I can do to improve my chances. Would taking some grad-level courses at a near university help? I have already asked three psych professors for LOR.

Thank you and any advice will be appreciated.