low verbal reasoning score and still applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR. BOSTON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So similar to many of you i need some advice regarding mcat scores etc...here are my stats

Phys: 12
Bio:10
V: 6
Writing: S

Clearly my verbal is less than stellar....My gpa is around a 3.6 from a rather highly respected university....While I believe my verbal definately fell on the low end of my range, it was partially attributed to the proctor not giving enough time (which was documented). I contacted aamc and am filing a report to see if they can do something to indicate this problem to med schools. I am pretty sure that I cannot get a better score in physical and probably not much better in bio....however, my verbal relalistically could've been about 2 points higher......what are my shots, what schools do you think would take this??

Also, my Extra curricular and LOR are very good and as I have taken part in some very significant volunteer/research activities...

Im thinking i'll apply and see what happens before I consider taking it again in april...anyone have similar unbalanced scores like this and got in???

What would you do?? Anyone gotten in to schools with this verbal score?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is documented and your report shows "non-standard test conditions", you should apply. Supposing you were cut 5 minutes short and you were expecting to have that extra time to bubble in a large block of your answers, it is certainly plausible that this disruption could bring your verbal score from 8-ish down to 6.

Although your explanation may account for the low verbal section score, you should be cautious about where you apply this cycle. Depending on how various schools make their preliminary cuts, you are at risk of getting tossed out before having a chance to explain your circumstances. I am by no means an expert on the mechanics of the admissions process, but it seems that most schools do indeed use some computer-based algorithm to eliminate applicants at the first stage; if such an algorithm were to cut you out based on a 6 on the verbal (i.e., anything below a 7 on any section = cut) you would be wasting your time and money applying to these schools.

Ultimately, you should contact the schools you are interested in immediately and individually ask them if they will consider your case. Do this as soon as you can, and try to get your AMCAS in shortly thereafter. Your performance in the other two sections is stellar, and it seems that the rest of your credentials are similarly in good shape, so as long as there is some flexibility in overlooking the verbal, you ought to have a good shot.

Well, good luck and if all else fails, just retake next year at a different MCAT test location. You wouldn't want to get stuck with the same proctor again next year ;)