lower MCAT...havent submitted primary yet..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I just got my 2nd MCAt score and my breakdown is: 7P 6V 10B MW
I am upset because my score went down by 2 points from August 2004( 9P 7V 9B NW).
I applied to a ton of allopthic schools being really confident I would do well the second time around.(my practice scores were in the 28-32 range). Now I am beginning to realize that my chances are slim for acceptance into the MD program.
I am considering D.O but I wonder if I may be too late?
My cousin who is doing residency in Mayo suggested that I go for D.O and said that they have the option of specializing as well.
This is encouraging and now it does not matter anymore if I get into an MD program or not.
And after reading about it, their whole body approach is beginning to make more sense to me.

Now my worries are: I still havent submitted my primary yet, I havent shadowed a D.O, my 2 point drop on the MCAT, and acceptance with a 3.51 GPA with 3.6 BCP?

Also,
has anyone submitted their primary this late to MSUCOM and gotten acceptance? (I am not a Michigan resident)

Please help!

Worried

Members don't see this ad.

You're not too late, just a little behind the average anal retentive premed. Most DO schools have later due dates then MD schools. I would work on this ASAP though. The verification process is about 6 weeks.

Good luck

Hey, don’t worry about changing your mind about applying DO as long as you are okay with being a DO. You should realize however that DO schools are aware of the fact that many would-be MD applicants get their MCAT scores back at this time and rush to get in their applications. Your MCAT score is low as you already realize but you may have a chance at some schools. Your biggest obstacle may be convincing that ad-com that you won’t be bitter about coming to a DO school and that you are genuinely okay with it. If you shadow a DO before any potential interviews that may help you out. Now would be a good time to start thinking about that. And yes, do rush that application in as soon as possible.