Aug 29, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
Hello there!

I am a recent graduate and I am currently working at a retail chain. Unfortunately, I am not getting enough hours and I am not seeing any scope in the future. I am from TX

I have been applying jobs at a hospital and I never hear back. I am not surprised because I know I do not have any residency or hospital experience.

I have recently decided to give residency a shot but I do not have a good GPA and history in pharmacy school. I have developed passion and I know I can do it.

I just need to know what lower ranked programs are out there and how did people with bad grades made into residency. I don't care for high reputable programs. I just need to get into a program. My long term goals are Ambulatory care pharmacist.

Also, I am ready to make that pay cut and invest into something that will build my confidence and skills.

Thanks!

Abby Atwood

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
If I were you, I would do my best to make the most of rotations this year. If you can get involved in larger projects at your rotation site, that would be good. Write a great letter of intent. It makes a difference. Maybe look at candidate programs. Some of those programs are amazing, but they don't get as many applications because of their status. I interviewed several places, but didn't match. Work on your interview skills so that you don't miss out if you get the chance.

Reactions: Beta_Blocker
About the Ads

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
There's a hospital in Shreveport, LA that I think had 5 out of 6 spots go into the scramble 2 years in a row back in the day when I was looking at these things. I think it's called University Health Shreveport? I know nothing about the program or reasons for always going into the scramble.

Reactions: Abby Atwood
Aug 31, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you move out to smaller towns in Texas you can 100% get a hospital job. I go to Texas Tech in Abilene, and the local hospitals churn through hospital pharmacists (Non-residency) super fast since they all want to move to the metroplex. Make sure you check TPA's website for their local listings of hospital pharmacy jobs in west texas.

About the Ads