Lower sGPA, but no C's... Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Deleted*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It kind of indicates that you didn't really "excel" if you have vastly more Bs than As... I wouldn't retake courses you didn't get a C or below in. Your gpa is what it is. If you are still in school, try to get those As.

So help me NF, if you retake a B, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!
Your cGPA is competitive for all DO schools, including mine.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any classes might be worth re-taking if my sGPA is a 3.3 but I didn't get less than a B in any of my sGPA classes? I see all these strong sGPA's on here and it makes me anxious. Thoughts?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still have one year left and I'll be taking a handful of upper level science classes so there's a bit of potential to bring it up there, thanks for the feedback!

Did you get any B-'s? If so, then a retake might help. Otherwise I'd just focus on getting a strong upward trend.

@Goro which med school you at?

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro you changed your profile pic!! Why!!!

However I do have to say I'm digging the new picture :)
More friendly haha. I saw on the other thread how someone told you to change it. I guess you took the advice :p

@Goro you changed your profile pic!! Why!!!

However I do have to say I'm digging the new picture :)
More friendly haha. I saw on the other thread how someone told you to change it. I guess you took the advice :p

Because I told him to.

@Goro have you ever identified someone from SDN in your applicants?

@Goro, mind if I ask a hypothetical? Let's say two people have 3.67 GPAs, but one person got 20 As & 10 Bs while the other got 25 As and 5 Cs. Would an adcom conclude any meaningful difference? (given that there's no obvious patterns/trends in the courses with B/C grades)?

@Goro, mind if I ask a hypothetical? Let's say two people have 3.67 GPAs, but one person got 20 As & 10 Bs while the other got 25 As and 5 Cs. Would an adcom conclude any meaningful difference? (given that there's no obvious patterns/trends in the courses with B/C grades)?

10 Bs shows you are human. 5 Cs shows you are incompetent. So person #1 has a better shot IMO.

10 Bs shows you are human. 5 Cs shows you are incompetent. So person #1 has a better shot IMO.

Incompetent...with 3.67 GPA? Ouch.

5 C's can be read in many different ways. Were they in the beginning of applicant's college career? Were they solely in the core science pre-reqs? There is always a trend, whether good or bad and that's what adcoms can pick up on. However, the numbers are stll numbers. With 2 3.67 applicants, adcoms make good use of letters of rec and extracurriculars, and interviews to choose one over the other (assuming there isn't space to accept both).

Reactions: 1 users
I would conclude the kid with the Cs is more uneven in performance. It would also depend upon the courses too. Maybe they were all in English Lit? Then I 'd think that the kid reall, really didn't like the subject.