Lowest Accepted to top 50 schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotchtape

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets start a thread as motivation for others. I know its not all about the rankings however I would like to go to a top 50 school (as ranked by USNEWS) for the prestige and funding and I believe that most of the top 50 don't look at state of residence. That said, if you or anyone you know has gotten into these schools without finding the cure for AIDS and has average to low stats, post here and it ll help motivate and give hope to us fellow applicants.

My stats : 34 Mcat, 3.4 gpa.
Interviews : 1 at my state school, none at the top 50.
Acceptances : none as of yet

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you there.

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 3.8
Interviews: 3 (Davis, U Michigan, Duke)
Acceptances:0

I don't know about you, but if i see someone with a 3.2 28 get into a school i can't seem to get an interview from, this thread is going to make me feel a lot worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 interview
1 acceptance to top 50

brookester said:
1 interview
1 acceptance to top 50
Would that be #50 itself as MCW? :)

jules454 said:
I'm with you there.

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 3.8
Interviews: 3 (Davis, U Michigan, Duke)
Acceptances:0

a 3.4/38 isnt exactly low....

Pinkertinkle said:
I don't know about you, but if i see someone with a 3.2 28 get into a school i can't seem to get an interview from, this thread is going to make me feel a lot worse.
yes, but you have good stats, so your feelings don't matter.

exmike said:
a 3.4/38 isnt exactly low....
the OP's stats aren't "low" (the OP says "average to low", to be fair) either, which makes this thread confusing. :confused:

3.62 overall/3.48 science/26 1st MCAT, 29 2nd time, accepted to 1 top 50 private school and another that isn't too far out of the top 50. NOT a URM (isn't that a favorite ?), and NOT an Ivy League/UCLA/Berkeley grad. As a result of attending my top 50 school, I have done well in getting residency interviews (though not a fabulous student), but it is very expensive to go here. I'd stick with your state school (unless it is in a terrible location or has other serious issues); I know I would have done just as well coming out of my state school (though granted, it is also a top 50 and did reject me). I have to say it is pretty cool to be invited for interviews (IM) at "top 50" affiliated places that rejected me for med school (U Pitt, Maryland, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Jefferson, BU); I'm sure you will get to have the same kind of experience no matter where you go. Good luck!