lowest mcat, but still accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any cut-off mcat scores that podiatry schools have.............especially interested in Temple's Ph.D. program. I plan to retake the mcat in August, but I did bad on last August test. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you TOOK the MCAT and have a pulse then you are immediately granted admission to Podiatry school. Seriously. :rolleyes:

hey doc 227

please disregard brachial...

podiatry school in and of itself does not have the most stringent reqs...basically it seems like if you have "b" avg and do around the average mcat score...(prob like a 24?) it shouldnt really be a prob
i dont know any specific stats..but the schools arent really to concerned with mcats....i am sure the scores in my class vary from much higher to much lower...
as for temples phd program...
i really have no idea what they want
i am guessing they would be more stringent b/c the program is probably really demanding
however..like i said i dont really know much about it
i was actually curious about that myself for awhile..but then i realized i just wanted to get school over with...
are you interested in doing some research..or are you looking to get into prostetics(sp)??? I am curious as to what types of students go into that kind of program so please let me know
-j

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested more in prostetics than research, but I would like to do both. What opportunities are there, if you know of any, in the field of prostetics with this degree?

i honestly cant say
but it seems like the best degree you could have for LE prostetics
i mean you need to understand biomechs in order to understand prostetics...and a phd seems like you are going even more in depth then we do as dpms(which is pretty indepth to start with)
i think the only other thing you might want to look into for prostetics might be some sort of addtl degree in metallurgy/or plastics or something to that extent....but that is purely speculation on my part.....

i mean the program is run out of 3 reputable schools(temple/drexel/and upenn) plus you get a dpm to boot; in all honesty i cant imagine there are too many people coming out with more knowledge on LE biomechs, plus you get the knowledge of how it all works clinically which should all (in theory) make you one of the best qualified guys out there for prostetics...
my best bet would be to get a hold of some of the directors at drexel/penn/or temple and see what its all about, see where the recent graduates got jobs, see if they have an dual degree alumni you can talk too
or for a more unbiased look...call some big prostetic companys...see what they think

sorry i couldnt be more helpful

-j

like every school you will have a range of scores. brachial was correct in that if you have a pulse and eligible for a bachelor's degree, you will get in for sure. in my class, i knew a few folks with scores in the mid teens up to the high 20's, with most around 20.

I agree with niceguy. My incoming class had a GPA of 3.3-3.4 with an avg MCAT of 18!!. This was right out of the dean of admissions mouth. When you have an open door policy it makes quite hard to keep respectable numbers. I am sure pod schools vary but by how much? They have no applicants. 24 on the MCATs!! No way, there are bright students in these classes with good stats for sure but they are not the majority in these schools. Unless schools were willing to pick up their standards and take in 50% less students. Of course they can not afford to do that so there you go. I believe some schools do no require an MCAT at all. That should tell you something.
I know application pools vary and they are cyclical blah, blah, but MD,DO,DDS schools etc will never have to compromise admission standards to a point where accepted applicant stats will drop to below national averages because their applicant pools will always remain large enough and talented enough to fill their classrooms with talented students. Plus they are a more promising career choice so naturally they will attract better students also.

for the record
i wasnt in disagreement with niceguy..i said a b avg with an avg mcat score (which i said was prob around a 24)

while i know bklndoc loves to get his shots in at podiatry whenever he can...i made it a point to say that the schools were not to concerned with mcats...but i dont think anyone can definitively say what the avgs are for all the schools
as for my school...
last yrs avg was a 22 according to the school, the avg nationally for that year was 23.8
and to the OP...you asked in another thread if the admissions for the phd are more stringent..i really dont know....but i imagine they would be..you are signing up for a pretty specialized degree, one that seems to offer a wealth of possibilities...
my best advice would be to call the programs...and see what they say..they will probably be pretty honest about what they want from you
goodluck to u
check temples website for the contact info
-j

The MCATs do not tell you the true capabilities of the medical student nor does it tell you how good of a clinician he/she will be! They are used purely to add another factor in the selection of students being as though GPAs are hard to be used as a single factor for admission. As far as the DATs, they were in no way a comparison to the MCATs.
The main point that BKDOC is concerned about is the lack of competition to podiatry schools and thus MCATs are not a big requirement, if any. To the ego-driven, this is a problem, but to the student who loves podiatry, it's awesome and you are aware that podiatry school is easy to get in but hard to get out!

Originally posted by ProdPod
The MCATs do not tell you the true capabilities of the medical student nor does it tell you how good of a clinician he/she will be!

However, the OP didn't ask if MCAT score related to being a good physician or podiatrist. The OP merely asked what scores were competitive.

Your point is an important one, though.