lowest tuition for DPT in california

Started by ctwen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ctwen

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am a graduated senior at UCDAVIS and i was wondering if state schools such as fresno, long beach, northridge, sacramento would be much cheaper than private schools (samuel merrit, UOP, Azusa..etc) even if the state schools are still masters of physical therapy and haven't become doctorate of physical therapy yet?

most private schools have a tuition of about 90K for 3 years while state schools are 13k for two semesters which is 39K for 3 years over 50% cheaper!

what do you guys think?
 
Yes, state schools are cheaper than private schools. State schools are also much more competitive

All state schools are transitioning to DPT 2012
 
Yes, state schools are cheaper than private schools. State schools are also much more competitive

State schools are definitely cheaper for sure. However, I wouldn't say that state schools are much more competitive than private institutions. I guess it depends on how you define-competitive. Look at USC, UOP, Loma Linda, Boston U, Washington U, Duke, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, state schools are cheaper than private schools. State schools are also much more competitive

All state schools are transitioning to DPT 2012

Does this mean i can apply to DPT this coming cycle for state schools? or Fall class of 2012?
 
Just check the school's websites. CSUN says that it'll implement the DPT by Aug 2012

what does that mean? Does it mean it will apply to the new class entering 2012? Or does it mean that by Aug 2012 they will make DPT available to 2012-2013 applicants?

Big difference I think. Anyone know?
 
what does that mean? Does it mean it will apply to the new class entering 2012? Or does it mean that by Aug 2012 they will make DPT available to 2012-2013 applicants?

According to their website (and the websites of other Cal State PT programs), the first class of DPT students will begin in Fall 2012, pending approvals.

http://www.csun.edu/hhd/pt/

http://www.hhs.csus.edu/pt/DPT_Program_Informational_Flyer_Feb_2011.pdf

http://www.csufresno.edu/chhs/depts_programs/physical_therapy/documents/CSUFDPTInfo2012rev5-11.pdf
 
I should have applied before the cutoff... 😳 My only slight regret of the application cycle (not too disappointed though)...

I heard a success story of a relative getting IS @ Berkley (MA unrelated to PT) and I should have jumped the gun and took a stab at their MPTs last cycle.

Ah well, doin' fine right here. 😎
 
All the Cal-States are transitioning to DPT programs for next fall. I talked to an admission person at CSULB and verified this.

On the negative side of things, they are also all more than doubling their tuitions as well from about 30k for 3 years to 70k for 3 years. This pretty much puts them on par with the private schools in the state. (except Samuel Merrit and USC which are close to 120k and 130k for 3 years respectively :scared: )
 
Last edited:
All the Cal-States are transitioning to DPT programs for next fall. I talked to an admission person at CSULB and verified this.

On the negative side of things, they are also all more than doubling their tuitions as well from about 30k for 3 years to 70k for 3 years. This pretty much puts them on par with the private schools in the state. (except USC which is close to 130k for 3 years :scared: )
WHOA!! Are you serious?!! Ughh! Yeah Ive been hearing about tuition increases for the UC and CSU colleges. Dont you love living in California! 😡
 
WHOA!! Are you serious?!! Ughh! Yeah Ive been hearing about tuition increases for the UC and CSU colleges. Dont you love living in California! 😡

IMO one of the Cal-state schools' main advantages has always been the value of their tuition. Now they've lost that factor. Sucks for us students but I'm sure they'll still fill their classes regardless, so it's a win for them.
 
On the negative side of things, they are also all more than doubling their tuitions as well from about 30k for 3 years to 70k for 3 years. This pretty much puts them on par with the private schools in the state. (except Samuel Merrit and USC which are close to 120k and 130k for 3 years respectively :scared: )

When I saw that I was shocked as well. Talk about universities getting paid! Still in looking at Chapman which is around $95k and USA which is close to 100k I'd much rather go for the $70k. I'm just starting out (2nd year undergrad) so it's time to start saving and hopefully I can put a dent in that amount by the time I apply.