You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Loyola MAMS 2016-2017
Started by Thisisthelife
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My app was completed on the 24th! How long after did you hear back from them?
I would say about a month. I will double check later and reconfirm that for you. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Accepted here last week. Really excited about this program!
Congratulations on the acceptances, guys! I'm really excited about applying here, after reading all the positive reviews (?) about the program from past threads. Do any of you know how long the turnaround time typically is from submission to decision? Hopefully, I'll be able to report back with happy news soon 🙂
Mind if anyone shares their stats?
Last edited:
^ Thanks, how was your GPA trend? Sorry, reason I'm asking is because my GPA trend is more like a "hill" in which I did pretty poor the first couple of semesters, then 4.0'ed 34 credits, then went back downhill. Just wondering how they take into account factors like that.
Edit: just looked at the website. Seems they updated for MCAT requirements. Guaranteed interview provided you hold a 3.6 in the program and confidence bands reaching at least 509.
Edit: just looked at the website. Seems they updated for MCAT requirements. Guaranteed interview provided you hold a 3.6 in the program and confidence bands reaching at least 509.
Alright! Finally submitted!
I didn't know that we were able to submit the application pending LOR's and transcripts and what not and I had pretty much completed the application save for 1 more LOR since Feb.
Anyways, this program is one of my top choices due to the positive reviews and success of the program. Not to mention I have a bunch of family in the 'burbs and friends who go to UIC. Here's to hoping I get in!
Also, anyone know if we are able to, or if there is any down time to volunteer, conduct research, etc? Would really like to expand my clinical experiences and opportunities while in these types of programs.
I didn't know that we were able to submit the application pending LOR's and transcripts and what not and I had pretty much completed the application save for 1 more LOR since Feb.
Anyways, this program is one of my top choices due to the positive reviews and success of the program. Not to mention I have a bunch of family in the 'burbs and friends who go to UIC. Here's to hoping I get in!
Also, anyone know if we are able to, or if there is any down time to volunteer, conduct research, etc? Would really like to expand my clinical experiences and opportunities while in these types of programs.
Alright! Finally submitted!
I didn't know that we were able to submit the application pending LOR's and transcripts and what not and I had pretty much completed the application save for 1 more LOR since Feb.
Anyways, this program is one of my top choices due to the positive reviews and success of the program. Not to mention I have a bunch of family in the 'burbs and friends who go to UIC. Here's to hoping I get in!
Also, anyone know if we are able to, or if there is any down time to volunteer, conduct research, etc? Would really like to expand my clinical experiences and opportunities while in these types of programs.
I know that one distinguishing feature of this program is that they help you set up clinical volunteering for a couple hours a week while you are in the program. However, the main focus is academics like with most graduate programs of this type.
Does anyone know what they are doing for housing?
Hey guys! about to put in my application ASAP. Any advice about personal statements etc. that can help? 😀 TIA!
I submitted my application around a week ago and my PS last Friday. They say there is no required word/character limit, but I'd keep it to around AMCAS required characters. I personally made it ~5000 WITH spaces, and that came out to ~5400 w/o spaces. I pretty much wrote my personal statement like I did my AMCAS (because it's pretty much gonna be the same structure-wise) except I added the last 2 paragraphs talking about how the program will benefit me in my goals. I also had that idea reflected throughout my essay.Hey guys! about to put in my application ASAP. Any advice about personal statements etc. that can help? 😀 TIA!
Does anyone know what they are doing for housing?
I was looking for an accepted students Facebook group to make housing plans and could not find one (I think you need 2 or more users to make a group). I have been looking for housing for about 2 weeks now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it usually take to get a decision? Do they e-mail or snail mail?
How long does it usually take to get a decision? Do they e-mail or snail mail?
I got an email stating that there was an update to my portal about a month after submitting. Once I logged into the portal, I could see an admissions offer posted.
Man, hope it doesn't take that long. All the SMP's I've applied to are on equal standing for me and I'll pretty much commit to the first one that accepts me.
Anyone know what the cohort size is for this program? I hope they're still accepting...
55 students, unsure how many acceptances have been given out/have yet to be given.
55 students, unsure how many acceptances have been given out/have yet to be given.
My admission status was updated mid March that the class was full so I was wait listed. I'm not sure if it's actually full or I was just wait listed!
My admission status was updated mid March that the class was full so I was wait listed. I'm not sure if it's actually full or I was just wait listed!
I was accepted late April and was never waitlisted so I'm not sure their class was full in mid-March but I will be withdrawing soon so hopefully you get the spot.
Welp, got rejected from MSMP, but got an e-mail stating that my MAMS application is currently under review after I e-mailed them expressing my intent to pursue the program should I be accepted.
Welp, got rejected from MSMP, but got an e-mail stating that my MAMS application is currently under review after I e-mailed them expressing my intent to pursue the program should I be accepted.
Same thing happened to me, so keep your head up!
Same thing happened to me, so keep your head up!
Yeah, I initially sent in my app for MAMS, but since I was able to transfer documents over to the MSMP, I applied to that program as well. Seems that the average GPA is >3.5 so I wasn't near competitive for that program anyways.
.
Last edited:
May I ask who you e-mailed, I also got rejected and would like to express my interest in the other program. Thanks!Welp, got rejected from MSMP, but got an e-mail stating that my MAMS application is currently under review after I e-mailed them expressing my intent to pursue the program should I be accepted.
May I ask who you e-mailed, I also got rejected and would like to express my interest in the other program. Thanks!
Both programs use the same application platform. You just need to start an application for the MSMP program.
http://ssom.luc.edu/physio/education/ms/
Argghh Waitlisted! Class is full! I was really looking forward to Loyola MAMS. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted this morning while at work!
Submitted app May 7th
Complete May 11th
Accepted May 19th
I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs like Georgetown, Cinn, Boston, Tufts, etc. but I will probably end up going here since I don't see myself getting off the waitlist and it's close to home.
Is there anyone around who has completed the program? I have a couple of questions regarding student life, the curriculum, volunteering, and resources for the next application cycle!
Submitted app May 7th
Complete May 11th
Accepted May 19th
I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs like Georgetown, Cinn, Boston, Tufts, etc. but I will probably end up going here since I don't see myself getting off the waitlist and it's close to home.
Is there anyone around who has completed the program? I have a couple of questions regarding student life, the curriculum, volunteering, and resources for the next application cycle!
^ Congrats!
Anybody who finished or is currently doing the program was first waitlisted, then accepted? The more I think about it, the more I really want to attend the program!
Anybody who finished or is currently doing the program was first waitlisted, then accepted? The more I think about it, the more I really want to attend the program!
Hey guys, I created a FB group for accepted students here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/295924524080414/. I have also been looking for housing and would appreciate throwing around some ideas with fellow classmates.
Anyone receive their financial aid package?
Quick Question: Any one here DACA and applying for the MAMS program?
Any news on the waitlisted movement or how frequent is it that people are usually taken off the waitlist? Would like to email Dr. Dawn Franks showing that I'm still interested and would be willing to commit to the program, but I don't want to sound too desperate or annoying.
I emailed the MAMS email with questions pertaining to the waitlist and I was told that they do not review the waitlist until the application period has ended. Then, they review the waitlist based on strength and admit in that order if seats are available.Any news on the waitlisted movement or how frequent is it that people are usually taken off the waitlist? Would like to email Dr. Dawn Franks showing that I'm still interested and would be willing to commit to the program, but I don't want to sound too desperate or annoying.
Any news on the waitlisted movement or how frequent is it that people are usually taken off the waitlist? Would like to email Dr. Dawn Franks showing that I'm still interested and would be willing to commit to the program, but I don't want to sound too desperate or annoying.
I think emailing to show your interest is a good idea! I have heard from previous MAMS students that sending updates/letters of interest does help.
Anyone have any info on roughly how many or % of MAMS alumni who go on to US MD schools per year?
If you read the website about the program they already tell you. 95% accepted to med school within 3 years.
If you read the website about the program they already tell you. 95% accepted to med school within 3 years.
That list includes DO and Carribean schools as well though. I love how tight knit the program is, but this is the only really unclear thing that's stopping me from committing.
Can any alumni who have succesfully applied and gotten MD interviews comment? Have US MD schools been responsive to taking MAMS? I'm accepted to an older and arguably more recognized program as well, but I would prefer MAMS and just need some reassurance given it's not a true SMP.
That list includes DO and Carribean schools as well though. I love how tight knit the program is, but this is the only really unclear thing that's stopping me from committing.
Can any alumni who have succesfully applied and gotten MD interviews comment? Have US MD schools been responsive to taking MAMS? I'm accepted to an older and arguably more recognized program as well, but I would prefer MAMS and just need some reassurance given it's not a true SMP.
I was looking for the same info but unfortunately for almost all of these programs that specific information is not given. I believe Georgetown might be the only one that does.
Also, there are no such things as true SMPs. An SMP is simply a Special Masters Program. There are two types: classes against M1, or classes simulating M1 against your program peers.
I decided one Loyola mostly because of name recognition since it's one of the most well known and oldest in the country. Plus it has more leverage in my state of Illinois than other programs (based on my conversation with adcomms here). Since the 95/96% includes all types of med schools I just decided to lower it down to around 70-75%. That still puts it higher than every other SMP except for Tufts and Gerogetown. However, those schools' numbers also include DO/Carrib/US MD...basically the standings don't really change.
Honestly, if you shoot them an email I'm sure they will be more than willing to give you more specific stats. Definitely keep us updated!
Anyone know if the class is fully registered? Counting on getting off the waitlist.
i am wondering the same thing...Anyone have any info on roughly how many or % of MAMS alumni who go on to US MD schools per year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That list includes DO and Carribean schools as well though. I love how tight knit the program is, but this is the only really unclear thing that's stopping me from committing.
Can any alumni who have succesfully applied and gotten MD interviews comment? Have US MD schools been responsive to taking MAMS? I'm accepted to an older and arguably more recognized program as well, but I would prefer MAMS and just need some reassurance given it's not a true SMP.
I'm in exactly the same boat. Please keep me posted if you learn more about this program and how it's viewed in comparison to other programs like Tufts, BU, and Georgetown. Also, any alumni willing to comment would be greatly appreciated!!!! I've gotten into all of the programs I listed above and would love to attend MAMS, but I definitely want the same reassurance that you do before I totally commit.
I'm going to give up my spot here, so I hope somebody who really wants it will get in!!! Seems like a great program and a supportive environment. I was torn forever, but decided to go elsewhere. Good luck everybody!
I was accepted this morning! I am so relieved because I applied very late. I really need this program and I know it can help steer me in the right direction.
I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but Loyola was my first choice.
Submitted: 06/06/2016
Accepted: 06/22/2016
Is there anyone who has recently finished the program that is willing to take questions? I couldn't really find anywhere on student doc that did this.
EDIT: Nevermind! I actually found a couple of people who answered questions in old forums so I may try to ask them privately.
I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but Loyola was my first choice.
Submitted: 06/06/2016
Accepted: 06/22/2016
Is there anyone who has recently finished the program that is willing to take questions? I couldn't really find anywhere on student doc that did this.
EDIT: Nevermind! I actually found a couple of people who answered questions in old forums so I may try to ask them privately.
Last edited:
congrats on getting accepted!! Join the group on Facebook - a few alumni are members, plus admitted students that know a lot about the program.I was accepted this morning! I am so relieved because I applied very late. I really need this program and I know it can help steer me in the right direction.
I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but Loyola was my first choice.
Submitted: 06/06/2016
Accepted: 06/22/2016
Is there anyone who has recently finished the program that is willing to take questions? I couldn't really find anywhere on student doc that did this.
EDIT: Nevermind! I actually found a couple of people who answered questions in old forums so I may try to ask them privately.