Loyola MAMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iggyfan96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently accepted a spot at MAMS, starting in Fall 2020. Didn't see a thread for the MAMS program (only one for MSMP), so I thought I would start one right here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I recently accepted a spot at MAMS, starting in Fall 2020. Didn't see a thread for the MAMS program (only one for MSMP), so I thought I would start one right here.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yes sure, 3.2 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, 509 MCAT from another university in the Chicago area. Currently doing some DIY post-bacc classes, so undergraduate GPA will be up at least 0.2GPA points by the time I start

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up yall, was admitted a month back or so. Im still trying to debate between the MSMP program and this one. What sold you on this program ?

I was in the same boat, between MAMS and MSMP. Talked to students from both programs about them (some of which are currently at Stritch). The main two things lacking in my application are clinical volunteering hours and undergraduate science GPA. From that standpoint, doing well in a science masters in either medical science or physiology would prove that i can handle the rigors of a graduate-level science education. So that covers academics. The other thing is clinical volunteering. It seems like MAMS structures it's curriculum specifically (only Tu/Th classes) so you can add to your clinical volunteering hour amount. The students who were former MAMS alumni volunteered at Lurie's Children Hospital, free health clinics etc. And they said these locations keep spots open specifically for MAMS students. On the other hand, with MSMP, because it is at the Maywood campus (outside of Chicago), you are competing with medical students for volunteering spots and because of the set-up of the MSMP curriculum, it's less likely that you will be able to commit more time for clinical volunteering. MAMS also offers a committee letter at the end of the program, which MD/DO schools look at very favorably. The final case for MAMS over MSMP was location; MAMS is located on Loyola's undergraduate campus (Lakeshore), while MSMP is located at the Maywood campus (outside of Chicago). I did my undergrad at a school in proximity of Loyola and loved my time there, so that was another plus. But I factored in location after looking at how each program could suit my needs for upping clinical volunteering and proving my abilities to succeed academically.

I don't want to sound completely biased towards MAMS. The staff at MSMP (especially Dr. Pak who interviewed me) were super nice and very helpful, giving me general advice on the whole application process. When I talked to Dr. Pak, she stressed how each student (since it is a 30-35 person class) is given multiple advisors who are always keeping tabs on how each student is doing academically. So there's no way you can get lost as a SMP student, which might happen at some of the East Coast-based SMPs that I looked at. MAMS is about 50 people/class, which is a slightly larger cohort (fyi). But what I've gathered from students at both programs is they love the Loyola style of teaching and are either happy at Stritch or are hoping to matriculate this year. Also, the Guaranteed Interview (3.6 GPA+) is also a draw for either MSMP or MAMS and the stats for that is about the same (around high 90%s). I think that was it for now, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Also Dr. Franks (MAMS director) hosted a webinar (link is somewhere on Facebook), where she details the whole program, if you are interested.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the same boat, between MAMS and MSMP. Talked to students from both programs about them (some of which are currently at Stritch). The main two things lacking in my application are clinical volunteering hours and undergraduate science GPA. From that standpoint, doing well in a science masters in either medical science or physiology would prove that i can handle the rigors of a graduate-level science education. So that covers academics. The other thing is clinical volunteering. It seems like MAMS structures it's curriculum specifically (only Tu/Th classes) so you can add to your clinical volunteering hour amount. The students who were former MAMS alumni volunteered at Lurie's Children Hospital, free health clinics etc. And they said these locations keep spots open specifically for MAMS students. On the other hand, with MSMP, because it is at the Maywood campus (outside of Chicago), you are competing with medical students for volunteering spots and because of the set-up of the MSMP curriculum, it's less likely that you will be able to commit more time for clinical volunteering. MAMS also offers a committee letter at the end of the program, which MD/DO schools look at very favorably. The final case for MAMS over MSMP was location; MAMS is located on Loyola's undergraduate campus (Lakeshore), while MSMP is located at the Maywood campus (outside of Chicago). I did my undergrad at a school in proximity of Loyola and loved my time there, so that was another plus. But I factored in location after looking at how each program could suit my needs for upping clinical volunteering and proving my abilities to succeed academically.

I don't want to sound completely biased towards MAMS. The staff at MSMP (especially Dr. Pak who interviewed me) were super nice and very helpful, giving me general advice on the whole application process. When I talked to Dr. Pak, she stressed how each student (since it is a 30-35 person class) is given multiple advisors who are always keeping tabs on how each student is doing academically. So there's no way you can get lost as a SMP student, which might happen at some of the East Coast-based SMPs that I looked at. MAMS is about 50 people/class, which is a slightly larger cohort (fyi). But what I've gathered from students at both programs is they love the Loyola style of teaching and are either happy at Stritch or are hoping to matriculate this year. Also, the Guaranteed Interview (3.6 GPA+) is also a draw for either MSMP or MAMS and the stats for that is about the same (around high 90%s). I think that was it for now, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Also Dr. Franks (MAMS director) hosted a webinar (link is somewhere on Facebook), where she details the whole program, if you are interested.
Thank you so much for your thorough response! I am def leaning towards MAMS myself as well. Do you mind sharing with me the link to the webinar?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know whether the program will move to online instruction come this fall? Or is the university at large expected to reopen by then?

Does anyone know whether the program will move to online instruction come this fall? Or is the university at large expected to reopen by then?
Thats the million dollar question. I emailed Lauren about it and she said she has no idea sooooo, no word as of yet. Id be upset if they move online tbh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the million dollar question. I emailed Lauren about it and she said she has no idea sooooo, no word as of yet. Id be upset if they move online tbh.

I hope not :( the class size is typically pretty small so maybe social distancing will still be possible?

Nice job taking the extra step and emailing them! Thank you!

Also, it means- for better or for worse- that it is still a possibility.

I hope not :( the class size is typically pretty small so maybe social distancing will still be possible?
Dude, imo, schools have had months to plan ahead for the worst-case scenario. They should have the necessary resources to ensure proper social distancing without having to cancel classes. Especially a grad school level program.

Interested in applying for the program - for those who are accepted, is the program full? I can't seem to find a "MAMS" or "Medical Sciences - MA" option in the drop-down menu when starting the online application; only see one for MSMP

Interested in applying for the program - for those who are accepted, is the program full? I can't seem to find a "MAMS" or "Medical Sciences - MA" option in the drop-down menu when starting the online application; only see one for MSMP

u have to select 2020 arts and sciences from the dropdown menu, then you'll find it from there!

u have to select 2020 arts and sciences from the dropdown menu, then you'll find it from there!

Oh wow. I feel silly for not finding it earlier. Thanks so much! Is there a way to cancel the other ones I've started on the home screen? Or I guess...as long as I don't complete those...it should be fine if I just leave them? I have like 5 loyola applications in progress now lol

Oh wow. I feel silly for not finding it earlier. Thanks so much! Is there a way to cancel the other ones I've started on the home screen? Or I guess...as long as I don't complete those...it should be fine if I just leave them? I have like 5 loyola applications in progress now lol

lmfaoo dw I did the exact same thing I couldn't find it anywhere! i have no idea how to cancel them and I'm still getting emails about finishing my applications :\\ good luck to you!!

• Haha
oh well LOL thank you :D and a big congrats on your acceptance!!!

I am also in the process of applying to MAMS for fall 2020, did you guys submit a personal statement and/or a statement of purpose with your application, because on the program site they ask for both but the application site asks just the statement of purpose.

I am also in the process of applying to MAMS for fall 2020, did you guys submit a personal statement and/or a statement of purpose with your application, because on the program site they ask for both but the application site asks just the statement of purpose.

I only submitted a statement of purpose!

if classes go online, are you all still going to enroll? I'm out of state and this is sooooo annoying and stressful to try to figure out

if classes go online, are you all still going to enroll? I'm out of state and this is sooooo annoying and stressful to try to figure out
Idk man UGH its SO ANNOYING. Like I feel like if I dont enroll Im pushing my life back another year. And I dont want to do that. But at the same time, idk how Medical Schools will look at an Online Masters program. This is really incredibly stressful

Do you mind sharing your stats? My science GPA is kind of low but my cumulative is 3.2 and I'm taking my MCAT soon. Do you know if I would have pretty good chances of getting an admission to the program?

Do you mind sharing your stats? My science GPA is kind of low but my cumulative is 3.2 and I'm taking my MCAT soon. Do you know if I would have pretty good chances of getting an admission to the program?
Yes, mine were 3.3 overall, 3.15 sGPA, 509 mcat

Emailed Dr. Franks today and she said it is online as of now for the fall. BUT if illinois moves to phase 4 of Shelter in place, things could change; let me know if you have any other questions about what she told me.

Emailed Dr. Franks today and she said it is online as of now for the fall. BUT if illinois moves to phase 4 of Shelter in place, things could change; let me know if you have any other questions about what she told me.
Damn man, this kinda sucks ngl. Did she mention anything about how the other aspects of the program will proceed? Because there is the whole externship aspect that we won't get to do. They better either decrease tuition or figure something out.

Damn man, this kinda sucks ngl. Did she mention anything about how the other aspects of the program will proceed? Because there is the whole externship aspect that we won't get to do. They better either decrease tuition or figure something out.
No mention of a change in tuition. But she did say that they would continue all the professional development workshops as scheduled, even if all goes online. I'm assuming you would have to find your own clinical opportunities if you stayed near home, unfortunately.

Does anyone know if the 3.0 GPA minimum for applying refers to cumulative gpa or science gpa?

I'm sort of optimistic about Illinois moving into phase 4... I read some news reports that said the earliest that would happen is the end of June. The program isn't supposed to start until the end of August, so I'm hoping theres time in there for them to be able to open up in person classes.

I'm worried about housing though. I'm also coming from out of state, and I feel like I need to get a lease starting this fall either way since it's so hard to find something shorter than a year that isn't crazy expensive. Anyone else have plans about this one way or the other?

I'm sort of optimistic about Illinois moving into phase 4... I read some news reports that said the earliest that would happen is the end of June. The program isn't supposed to start until the end of August, so I'm hoping theres time in there for them to be able to open up in person classes.

I'm worried about housing though. I'm also coming from out of state, and I feel like I need to get a lease starting this fall either way since it's so hard to find something shorter than a year that isn't crazy expensive. Anyone else have plans about this one way or the other?

Hey yes I just got accepted today. Also worried about housing or if we’re even having classes in campus. Being out of state doesn’t help :( there’s so much planning that goes into this

Hi everyone, I was also accepted into the program!

I'm also out of state and wondering how housing would work. Just because the classes are online doesn't mean that the rest of the clinical experiences are still at or near Loyola right? Like the workshops and externships that's part of our program.

Hi! I have been accepted into the program too, back a few months ago. At that time Dr. Franks couldn't confirm if clinical activities could still continue (they had of course been discontinued at the time). But there would be some sort of remote service project. Someone let me know if they have more recent information.

Just want to chime in here. As an OOS matriculant, honestly, I'm just super confused about what is going to happen in terms of logistics/planning my life. I'm sure it's the same for all of us. Here are some things that are going through my head:

(1) Will fall be completely online? In which case no move is required. What if they make the following spring term in person? Will we expected to move in a few weeks and settle in the area? Is that even realistic?

(2) Will it be a hybrid in-person + online with graduate level courses online across the board? In which case moving is not required for us.

(3) Will it be a hybrid in-person + online with essential labs and instruction in-person? In which case moving to the area is required for us.

The online aspect of it doesn't both me too much. Obviously in-person was ideal given how well everything is structured with this program. But if hospitals aren't allowing for externships, and if the workshops and stuff are online, I really don't want to move to Chicago just to sit in an apartment by myself and watch videos all day.

Lastly, will medical schools value it? I actually feel super relaxed about this aspect of the program. COVID has up-ended the world at large. So it's not like we deliberately chose a weaker program or are trying to get out of the full SMP process/challenge. And I feel reassured that MAMS has a strong reputation and history, and med schools will respect that. But, yes, it will be up to us to find local volunteering gigs when they open in our respective cities.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts on everything. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say :)

Reactions: 3 users
hi yall! lauren emailed me back today and basically said classes are planned to be online for the fall. she said the workshops will be online unless Chicago allows for larger groups to gather. and volunteering will also be online unless they can find places that will accept in-person volunteers.

i don't mind the classes being online tbh, as long as workshops/volunteering would be in person. but I wish we just had more solid information so we can plan more effectively. should I be apartment searching rn? i have no idea!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm also kind of optimistic about chicago moving to phase 4, would anyone here be interested in starting to look for an apartment at least? I would want to wait til later on to have a better picture of whether on-campus will be happening or not to pull the trigger, but I'd like to have that option at least

Does anyone know of any MAMS program alumni that would be willing to share their experiences and/or resources that helped them? Particularly what they thought of the workload/difficulties compared to undergrad/other institutions and how it ultimately prepares you for med school. Is the 90%+ matriculation rate actually accurate?

Edit: Also, what percentage of students meet the requirements for the guaranteed interview?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any MAMS program alumni that would be willing to share their experiences and/or resources that helped them? Particularly what they thought of the workload/difficulties compared to undergrad/other institutions and how it ultimately prepares you for med school. Is the 90%+ matriculation rate actually accurate?
@PikaChief
So I asked the administrative assistant for the contact info for an alum I could reach out to, I never ended up reaching out, but shoot me a PM and I can pass along their email

hey! how can I email her? I cant find her contact!

Edit: Also, what percentage of students meet the requirements for the guaranteed interview?

I think if you watch the webinar someone linked above, Dr. franks talks about the stats for the guaranteed interview

hey! how can I email her? I cant find her contact!
You can find her contact email in your acceptance letter.

I think if you watch the webinar someone linked above, Dr. franks talks about the stats for the guaranteed interview
Yeah, I believe the stats to secure an interview is a 3.60 GPA and a 509 on the MCAT, but I was wondering how many of the students actually managed to achieve this.

You can find her contact email in your acceptance letter.

Yeah, I believe the stats to secure an interview is a 3.60 GPA and a 509 on the MCAT, but I was wondering how many of the students actually managed to achieve this.

So you bring up a good point. I spent time on past threads for MAMS, and I also talked to alumni online. From what I can gather, meeting the minimums and securing the interview is not hard at all. Most people will be granted the interview. It is, however, in many ways a "courtesy interview." Most are waitlisted afterwards simply because of the nature of the beast: admissions is competitive, and only a very small fraction of the incoming Stritch class will be taken from the MAMS class. So in order to be competitive in that particular interview, in addition to interviewing skills and such, you will need to have above average stats and a particular "x" factor which sets you apart among your class. In that effect, it's almost like you applied externally; almost like if they were to take you as an applicant without MAMS that you would still have characteristics (barring that poor GPA) which would make you a good candidate to add to the diversity of the class.

I think for most of us, securing an acceptance at Loyola Stritch won't be in the cards. And I put myself in that category as well. This is comparable to other SMP programs, some of which take place at incredibly competitive medical schools with very high matriculant stats. I think the main draw in the Loyola program is its history and great external reputation: you are becoming more competitive to Illinois medical schools, which have quite a few seats available and have taken MAMS students historically, as well as out-of-state schools who have taken MAMS students in recent years.

So basically to answer your question, meeting those numbers and getting the interview is not hard. But the actual acceptance is something beyond MAMS faculty and the program itself. Stritch is operating at another level- just like nearly all US MD institutions.