Loyola MAMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@PikaChief
So I asked the administrative assistant for the contact info for an alum I could reach out to, I never ended up reaching out, but shoot me a PM and I can pass along their email
Hey, I also tried to PM to get the alumni's email address, but wasn't able to. Would you mind PMing myself and @PikaChief ?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply, Milk_two_sugars.

Yeah, I understand that getting the interview to Stritch's SOM doesn't mean it's a straight shot into that particular medical school, even if it is associated with the MAMS program (although I do hope that it does give us a bit of an edge. Not like linkage program guarantee, but a higher acceptance rate). I think my question was more to confirm an overall feel of whether the program itself is pretty fair and manageable if more alumni of the program could meet the 3.60 GPA cutoff than couldn't.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also kind of optimistic about chicago moving to phase 4, would anyone here be interested in starting to look for an apartment at least? I would want to wait til later on to have a better picture of whether on-campus will be happening or not to pull the trigger, but I'd like to have that option at least

Bump on my last post, looking to start the apartment hunt a little early if someone wants to room together...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email from the Graduate School saying all non-lab classes will be held online. Also emailed to see if they have an official word on what this means for the volunteering and workshopping that's supposed to be part of the program. Are you guys planning on still moving to the area?

If you can let us know what MAMS says about the workshops/volunteering are happening, that would be great. If they're remote, there's no point of me moving across the country :/ It's just too expensive.

I just don't feel that it is right for us to pay full price this semester for online classes.... that's a whole lot of money for watching videos online. I chose this program based on its community and opportunities, and I know that I won't learn as well through this format. I'm sure the professors will do their best to each online but it's just a step down from actually forming in-person connections.

Are there any MAMS alum from last year who just finished up March-May online? How was that experience?

If you can let us know what MAMS says about the workshops/volunteering are happening, that would be great. If they're remote, there's no point of me moving across the country :/ It's just too expensive.

I just don't feel that it is right for us to pay full price this semester for online classes.... that's a whole lot of money for watching videos online. I chose this program based on its community and opportunities, and I know that I won't learn as well through this format. I'm sure the professors will do their best to each online but it's just a step down from actually forming in-person connections.

Are there any MAMS alum from last year who just finished up March-May online? How was that experience?
Dude I agree 100%. I also found it kind of bogus how they said: "We want our undergraduates to have a safer experience on campus" as if they dont give a **** about the graduate students. Im ngl, pretty pissed about this.

I assumed it would be more video conferences, like Zoom or whatever, but yeah I hear you. I always hated online classes and avoided them at all costs in undergrad but I’m hoping this will be better.

** update ** I got a response saying basically that they're still working everything out but that classes and workshops will be online unless Chicago moves into phase 5 very quickly here. As far as volunteering goes, they're waiting to see what clinics/hospitals say regarding volunteers. They suspended their volunteers when things started shutting down, and MAMS is waiting to see if they'll start taking people come the fall. If they do, they feel MAMS students will be top of the list for positions. If not, they're working out some remote volunteering options.

They say all advising will continue as usual and just be via Zoom. They did note that this past year the class submitted their AMCAs applications very early.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any way we can contact med school admissions and ask them whether or not having online classes affects the efficacy of the program ?

I assumed it would be more video conferences, like Zoom or whatever, but yeah I hear you. I always hated online classes and avoided them at all costs in undergrad but I’m hoping this will be better.

** update ** I got a response saying basically that they're still working everything out but that classes and workshops will be online unless Chicago moves into phase 5 very quickly here. As far as volunteering goes, they're waiting to see what clinics/hospitals say regarding volunteers. They suspended their volunteers when things started shutting down, and MAMS is waiting to see if they'll start taking people come the fall. If they do, they feel MAMS students will be top of the list for positions. If not, they're working out some remote volunteering options.

They say all advising will continue as usual and just be via Zoom. They did note that this past year the class submitted their AMCAs applications very early.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update. I keep thinking how much it would suck to move, and then not have any of the volunteering opportunities open up to MAMS students, or anyone else for that matter. But it’s not like I have a chance to do anything in my home state, where everything is sealed shut into the conceivable future. So in that sense it kind of makes me laugh... spending all that money and time on the promise of an opportunity.

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time.

What an interesting ride premed is, huh?

Do yall think this will last into the spring semester ?

Dr. Franks said that as of now they don’t expect all of this to last into the spring and they anticipate opening as normal once that comes. But I mean this whole pandemic is obviously unprecedented, so who knows what things will look like in four or five months.

Just got into this program and bummed the fall will be online! Will they have any formal email/newsletter from MAMS that explains how they will adapt to this?

Dr. Franks said that as of now they don’t expect all of this to last into the spring and they anticipate opening as normal once that comes. But I mean this whole pandemic is obviously unprecedented, so who knows what things will look like in four or five months.

Good point. Also, immediately before the spring, we will have two major holiday seasons in Thanksgiving and Christmas break. Plus, flu season will have picked up by then. So while we all hope spring instruction will be in-person, like you said, who knows how things will look like at that time with respect to COVID.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got into this program and bummed the fall will be online! Will they have any formal email/newsletter from MAMS that explains how they will adapt to this?
Congrats on getting in the program! Yeah, it sucks that fall semester will be online, but at least we get to save some living expenses costs :\

The Loyola Graduate School sent out a newsletter via email yesterday kind of confirming that fall would be online unless otherwise allowed (for safety and to make space for undergrads). I got another email from Lauren about an hour ago reminding us that we can enroll in classes now and that Dr. Franks will be hosting a webinar (link in a future email this week) on July 1st with further details.

Hey everyone! Kind of late but just found out about this program so I was going to apply since it is free to apply. I had some questions to ask beforehand. Does anyone know how full the class is as of right now? Just a rough estimate would suffice I know this is super late even though the deadline is August 1. I contacted admissions about my MCAT and how the earliest I would be able to take my MCAT would be on July 18 which would release scores August 3rd and they said that would be ok as long as spaces are available. So the thing is I have taken the MCAT one year ago and scored below their minimum but have done much better on my practice test ~512 and I don't know if I should apply with my current score of sub 500 and just email them to let them know of a pending update to my MCAT score or if I should just take the GRE and hope for a good score and apply with the GRE.

Hey everyone! Kind of late but just found out about this program so I was going to apply since it is free to apply. I had some questions to ask beforehand. Does anyone know how full the class is as of right now? Just a rough estimate would suffice I know this is super late even though the deadline is August 1. I contacted admissions about my MCAT and how the earliest I would be able to take my MCAT would be on July 18 which would release scores August 3rd and they said that would be ok as long as spaces are available. So the thing is I have taken the MCAT one year ago and scored below their minimum but have done much better on my practice test ~512 and I don't know if I should apply with my current score of sub 500 and just email them to let them know of a pending update to my MCAT score or if I should just take the GRE and hope for a good score and apply with the GRE.

I checked a couple of days ago and there were 15 seats left. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking the GRE but that's mostly because I just wouldn't want to sit for another test unless I absolutely had to. If I were in your position and everything else about my application was pretty sound except for the test score I would probably just submit, indicate you're taking the MCAT again, and see how it goes. BUT I mean I think it depends on how invested you are in getting into the program and all of that. If you're just applying because it's free and you want to have a swing at it, I wouldn't stress about taking another test just for this one program.

@supernova24 thank you for the info and suggestion! That was what I was leaning towards myself as I would still take time away from my MCAT studying in order to study for a completely different exam which would not be beneficial now or in the long term

Does anyone have any updates on the number of seats available? Researched more into the program and am hoping to get in as soon as my new MCAT score comes out hoping that won't be too late

Does anyone have any updates on the number of seats available? Researched more into the program and am hoping to get in as soon as my new MCAT score comes out hoping that won't be too late
12 seats left!

Can we please have another update on number of seats available? Waiting on letters of recommendation and getting anxious about time. Thanks

I committed for the year but have not actually registered for classes, I saw 10 spots remaining so probably 9 after I actually register.

Edit: I know an earlier post talked about the program Facebook group, has one been made yet? Same thing for a GroupMe, the program director had briefly mentioned something about that but I haven't seen anything official

I committed for the year but have not actually registered for classes, I saw 10 spots remaining so probably 9 after I actually register.

Edit: I know an earlier post talked about the program Facebook group, has one been made yet? Same thing for a GroupMe, the program director had briefly mentioned something about that but I haven't seen anything official

In the Welcome pdf (program newsletter) they sent out to admitted students, you’ll find a link to the GroupMe.

Once you’re added to the group, you can ask for a link to the Facebook page and someone will share it with you. The FB group is unofficial and student-made; the GroupMe is official.

Can someone please update me on how many seats are left in this program? Thank you!

Does anyone know how many students typically matriculate into Stritch from the program each year?

Can anyone tell me approximately how long it took to hear back from admissions?

Does anyone know the start date of the program/start of classes?

Hi everyone I recently committed but got accepted like two weeks ago because I was waiting (and still never got an answer) from another prorgram that would work better for me financially. Im a bit stressed since I was told I need to register for classes by August 9th or my offer will be withdrawn and Ive been trying to contact admissions for the past few days via phone and email and have not gotten responses. Does anyone have any advice or insight what else I can do.

Hi everyone I recently committed but got accepted like two weeks ago because I was waiting (and still never got an answer) from another prorgram that would work better for me financially. Im a bit stressed since I was told I need to register for classes by August 9th or my offer will be withdrawn and Ive been trying to contact admissions for the past few days via phone and email and have not gotten responses. Does anyone have any advice or insight what else I can do.

You can go ahead and register for classes through LOCUS. And then get in touch with admissions once they get back to you.

Hi all - I was recently accepted to start in fall of 2021. Would anyone who chose to attend in 2020 be willing to discuss a few questions via DM?