Loyola MAMS and BU MAMS Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryangoestoschool

Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I was wondering if there are any current students/ alumni of the Loyola MAMS and BU MAMS programs. I am trying to choose between the two and I am having a difficult time because there are aspects of both that I like.

I was hoping to get some perspective on what it was like to be a student in each of these programs. I know this is a broad question so I will add some bullet points of some specific interests, but don't feel like you need to hit all or them or even talk about any of them.
  • How many students (rough %) actually meet the GPA requirements (3.6 for Loyola guaranteed interview / 3.5 BU included in 85% matriculation statistic). Both schools have very high (in my mind) matriculation statistics. These statistics seem very high to me and I can't tell if its real or if its the schools playing with statistics.
  • General quality of life of the city.
  • For alumni: what was your experience with networking? And do you think the MAMS program opened up opportunities in the future not directly related to getting into med school? This is more of a question related to the atmosphere of the learning environment so if there is anything related to the student interactions I would appreciate those responses as well.
Thank you for your responses.
-Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I did the BU MAMS program and am going to attend medical school!

Let me know if you want to set up a time to talk about some stuff ~

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I did the BU MAMS program and am going to attend medical school!

Let me know if you want to set up a time to talk about some stuff ~

I was accepted to BU MAMS and am highly considering it - was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about your experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot me a dm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BU MAMS matriculation stats: the 85% matriculation statistic is for both MD and DO schools within 2 years of finishing the program. Many students do reapply. Meeting a 3.5 GPA in the program is definitely doable. The program is challenging and you will have to work hard (this is why its a well respected program). The first semester tends to be more difficult for students, second semester you have some electives students find more manageable. And if you do a thesis for a grade that can also boost your GPA.

Quality of life in Boston: Weather can be a bummer most of the school year, but spring and fall are beautiful. The city has lost of students and younger people. Its easy to get around. It also has an abundance of top research institutions in science and medicine which you should absolutely take advantage of. If you like going out tho, bars tend to have cover charges and close at 1-2am not that you'll have a ton of time for that. I cannot stress this enough, Boston is an amazing place to be a student. I love it.

networking opportunities: I am only a year out from the program, just wrapped up my first year of med school, yay! In terms of opportunities, it was more my research I did for my thesis that opened doors for me (why I say you should take advantage of the opportunities in Boston) I worked for a top neurologist at Harvard Medical School. I learned a lot, and having that background has helped me get more prestigious research opportunities, and it also helped me get into medical school. It was something I was asked about in interviews.

in terms of atmosphere- some people definitely make friends for life in this in program. It is only a year that you will be in class. The class sizes are large and there aren't small group activities. There are a couple social events during the year, and some extracurricular clubs. You really don't have a lot of time for that kind of thing though. Because the grading is not curved, people aren't very competitive, but there are always some people who are, because premed culture.

Reactions: 1 user
BU MAMS matriculation stats: the 85% matriculation statistic is for both MD and DO schools within 2 years of finishing the program. Many students do reapply. Meeting a 3.5 GPA in the program is definitely doable. The program is challenging and you will have to work hard (this is why its a well respected program). The first semester tends to be more difficult for students, second semester you have some electives students find more manageable. And if you do a thesis for a grade that can also boost your GPA.

Quality of life in Boston: Weather can be a bummer most of the school year, but spring and fall are beautiful. The city has lost of students and younger people. Its easy to get around. It also has an abundance of top research institutions in science and medicine which you should absolutely take advantage of. If you like going out tho, bars tend to have cover charges and close at 1-2am not that you'll have a ton of time for that. I cannot stress this enough, Boston is an amazing place to be a student. I love it.

networking opportunities: I am only a year out from the program, just wrapped up my first year of med school, yay! In terms of opportunities, it was more my research I did for my thesis that opened doors for me (why I say you should take advantage of the opportunities in Boston) I worked for a top neurologist at Harvard Medical School. I learned a lot, and having that background has helped me get more prestigious research opportunities, and it also helped me get into medical school. It was something I was asked about in interviews.

in terms of atmosphere- some people definitely make friends for life in this in program. It is only a year that you will be in class. The class sizes are large and there aren't small group activities. There are a couple social events during the year, and some extracurricular clubs. You really don't have a lot of time for that kind of thing though. Because the grading is not curved, people aren't very competitive, but there are always some people who are, because premed culture.

Hey! I’m a current MAMS student and I have a question about your research! Could I dm you?