Loyola MAMS question- 1 year of math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theusual

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school this cycle and have read a lot on this forum about certain masters programs and SMPs that I feel will be a good option for me if I don't get in (only interviews are at my 2 state schools, 3.4 cgpa/3.15 sgpa with strong upward trend in sgpa after sub 3.0 freshman and sophomore years).

I would really love to be in Chicago next year, so I was looking at Loyola's programs. However, admissions requirements state that 1 year of math is required. I took AP Calc AB in high school and received 1 semester of math credit. In what was probably not a smart move, I didn't take any additional math/stats classes, and I graduated this past May. Should I give up hope of attending Loyola MAMS or try to take an additional semester of math? I know CC classes are not advised for medical school admissions, but I'm not sure what other route I would have. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If there's a local college/university nearby, maybe you could look into a winter/summer class to get that extra math? I doubt that Loyola will let that requirement slide, but you could try to contact them and ask.

Although it's technically in North Chicago, Rosalind Franklin's SMP doesn't require any math classes. It might not be ideal, but it is an option in the area.

Taking math at a CC (and getting an A) would be appropriate here. I'm concerned about you starting med school or the MAMS with such a light math background. One CC class to proactively address an app shortcoming makes sense.