Loyola (Stritch) vs. URochester

Oks1607

Mar 27, 2020
    Hello,
    I'd first like to provide some background on myself. I am a traditional applicant born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago. I think I would like to match in Chicago as most of my family and close friends having been living in Chicago their whole lives. I am not dead set on any competitive residencies such as derm, ortho, or ophthalmology but I am also not against them. Essentially I am open to really any specialty whether it be IM, Neuro, Radiology, EM, etc... While I do enjoy teaching and research, I am not dead set on academic medicine and think I would be happier as a clinician. I do, however, want to match to an academic program rather than a community program for residency. Please see pros and cons list below:
    Loyola (Stritch)
    Pros
    • Close to home (about 45 minutes without traffic). This will allow me to visit home on weekends whenever I like. I had a similar luxury during undergrad (about 2hrs from home) which was really nice.
    • Great hospital in an area that will give me exposure to a wide range of conditions in a diverse patient population. Also many home residency programs that would be easier to match to coming from Stritch.
    • Match list for class of 2020 was very solid. Also, many of the matches were to Chicago and nearby schools (Loyola, Rush, Northwestern, UChicago, MCW, etc...) that I would love to match to myself.
    • A close friend of mine from childhood is an M1 currently and another close friend of mine from childhood is going to be an M1 next year=> already have friends and a roomate.
    Cons
    • A little too close to home. My family can be a little bit of a distraction as can my hometown friends.
    • Not a lot of research funding according to MSAR (about 17 million). I am worried that finding research won't be easy which is a big con if I decide I want to match to a competitive specialty.
    • USNWR research ranking of 88. I don't know how much these rankings matter honestly. In residency PD rankings it is 61 which is better, but again I have heard all these rankings are flawed and don't matter beyond T20. I would love input on this regard.
    Neutral:
    • Stritch's curriculum seems fairly traditional (2+2). While I do think early clinical exposure is important, if the curriculum is tried and true then i'm not really worried.
    URochester
    Pros
    • Plenty of research funding, so I feel like finding interesting research as a medical student won't be difficult.
    • More prestigious with USNWR ranking of 34? Again, I don't know the validity of these rankings. I would love to know if there is any significant difference between the reputations of these two schools.
    • Smaller class size (104 vs. 165). I feel this translates to more focus on each student by faculty and administration.
    • Very early clinical exposure beginning January of M1. This is exciting, although it does seem a little 'too' early...
    Cons
    • I don't know anyone in Rochester. While I am not scared to have to throw myself in a new environment, it is not necessarily ideal. Rochester also isn't the most desirable city to live in.
    • Far from chicago. I would have to buy a plane ticket whenever I want to visit home.
    • Lectures are not recorded. While I understand the benefits of this system, I don't think I will like it. I would use lecture recordings for many of my classes in undergrad and I really liked being able to pause and rewind the videos as I pleased when taking notes.
    • Would going to UR decrease my chances of matching to Chicago in comparison to Loyola?
    COA is negligible at the moment as I will likely be paying almost full price for both institutions. Thank you all in advance for your input!

TheDataKing

2+ Year Member
  • May 16, 2018
    1. Medical Student
      Rochester will have more opportunities for research and connections, imo. Med school is 4 years and while you might not be able to visit your family as frequently if you're at Rochester, I think it will set you up for more success going forward, especially if you're interested in academic medicine/prestigious fields. At the same time, happiness matters so just keep that factored in : )

Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads

FatherTime-PhD

Aug 15, 2016
      1. MD/PhD Student
        I can’t speak to the surrounding areas of Rochester, but it probably isn’t anything close to Chicago. That + the non-recorded lectures is enough for me to keep Loyola in play, despite the lower rank.

I think if you want to match back to the Midwest and you’re happier at Loyola, choose Loyola. But if want to go to a school for a new experience and a strong background with research, I don’t think you'll have a problem getting back to the Midwest either.

Reactions: 1 user

mcatstudent1

7+ Year Member
        Nov 7, 2011
          Just graduated Ned school. You sound like you would prefer Loyola. U Rochester is more snow. Stronger for some departments (ortho, derm). Still think Loyola sounds like better fit for you and lots of other med schools for research/letters with aways if you needed it. From MD allopathic you will match academic program. Do well on the Steps good luck!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.