Loyola Stritch vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siggyztardust

Reaction score
I'm out of state for both so tuition isn't a factor! I've visited both schools but had friends at Wayne so I got a more insider look into what Wayne is like!

I'm also looking into research in oncology, specifically gyn onc, and I also have interests in psychiatry. If anyone has any insight into the caliber of research of these fields for either schools, that would be super helpful!

Loyola Stritch:
Pros:
-I would rather live in Chicago than in Detroit
-Supportive admin
-That gym tho

Cons:
-I'm considering OBGYN and the Stritch curriculum on medical abortions and contraceptives may put me at a disadvantage
-Lower STEP 1 average than Wayne
-Seems like a lot of students had to SOAP this year
-In the suburbs of Chicago

Wayne State:
Pros:
-Actually in the city of Detroit
-Everyone I met was so warm and welcoming, and I didn't necessarily get that vibe from everyone at Stritch
-Prepares students better for STEP 1 possibly? Wayne uses NBME-based exams for M2
-Pretty good match list

Cons:
-Not true P/F first two years
-Even though Detroit is "up-and-coming," I really loved Chicago when I visited
-Haven't heard great things about their admin
-Awful public transportation system! While I will be bringing a car, I prefer to avoid driving when possible

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with Loyola if the prices are about the same especially if your interests aren’t in a super competitive specialty. I’m from the region, and I would try and stay out of Detroit if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
No disadvantage with Ob/gyn from Loyola.
It’s med school, not residency. Nobody needs to learn those specifics in any medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go Stritch. They have a nice hospital system, beautiful facilities, and they have good residency programs that like to take their own.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry - I’m very confused. Where did you get info that Loyola students had to soap! Cause we matched super well this year down to 35 percent primary care, 6 ortho, 6ent you can Google their match list!