Loyola University of Chicago Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been waiting and waiting for someone to make this thread, but I got impatient!

All possible Loyola Class of 2013'ers, feel free to chat away and meet your soon-to-be classmates :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody with any questions about the school, feel free to shoot a line...

Flop.

...apparently there aren't a lot of us possible Loyola '13-ers...

...or we're just an extremely talkative group...

Anyone look into housing near Loyola? Does anyone know if there will be a 'second look' weekend in the spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
finally!!!!!!!!!!!! another poster :D I'm interested in your questions as well.

From my tour I got the impression that people live in all the nearby suburbs as well as downtown but that a large percentage of the M1s live in Forest Park. I have been taking a look at some apartment listings online but their is not too much information. I used to work construction in Riverside, Oak Park, and LaGrange and the whole area is pretty nice.

Also, I thought I read or heard somewhere along the line that Loyola doesn't have a true second look weekend but that they do have something similar for URM candidates. I am pretty confident that that is accurate but I am not totally sure.

Yeah, I've been trying to look at apartments online--but haven't had much luck finding quality information. Just seeing if anyone else had better luck.

Interesting about the second look--maybe next time I'm in the area I'll just stop by and take a second look myself...

Did anyone see the library on the tour? While my tour guide was pretty extraordinary and candid, he forgot to show the library (he was going to...but apparently we all forgot...)

Last edited:
At the end of my interview day Dean Jones said that if I wanted to come back I should just call the admissions office and they would try to schedule a medical student to shadow for the day. If you can give them a day that works a couple weeks in advance that would probably work.

About the library, I didn't even think to ask to see it on my tour but after a whole lot of digging on their website I found this link to a couple nondescript pictures: http://library.luhs.org/Historical/Library/index.html Probably much better off waiting until you head back for a second look though.

Yeah, I've been trying to look at apartments online--but haven't had much luck finding quality information. Just seeing if anyone else had better luck.

Interesting about the second look--maybe next time I'm in the area I'll just stop by and take a second look myself...

Did anyone see the library on the tour? While my tour guide was pretty extraordinary and candid, he forgot to show the library (he was going to...but apparently we all forgot...)

My tour went to the library (I feel so special)!!! Um, i dont really know what to report about it....It was a library, there were a bunch of books and journals. The one thing I noticed that was cool was they had these plastic models of the human body scattered throughout the library. They were cut into cross sections that swiveled so you could see each cross section separately, or you could line them up so that it just looks like the normal body. Hopefully that description made sense.

...when was the loyola snail mail packet sent out for acceptances? same day as the phone call or no?

i recently got accepted to loyola's class of 2013!
but im a bit confused and im wondering....when do we find out about academic scholarships?? does it come with the acceptance packet or as a seperate letter later on?

i recently got accepted to loyola's class of 2013!
but im a bit confused and im wondering....when do we find out about academic scholarships?? does it come with the acceptance packet or as a seperate letter later on?

Congrats nimeh!

I have no idea about academic scholarships. The snail mail acceptance letter is two sheets of paper (one is the official letter, the other is a form to turn back in to them holding your spot)--there was no other information provided.

yeah thats exactly what i recieved in the envelope they sent me...guess im going to have to call the admissions office and ask them.
do spots fill quickly or should i take my time on returning the form?

I can't imagine that there is any advantage to taking your time returning the form so I would turn it around promptly.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah thats exactly what i recieved in the envelope they sent me...guess im going to have to call the admissions office and ask them.
do spots fill quickly or should i take my time on returning the form?

I agree with MUB, there is no advantage to taking your time. There is no deposit required and I believe the letter states you need to return it within two weeks. Returning the form holds your spot in the class--it isn't a commitment to attend.

Hello all!

Was wondering if y'all had any input on the chances for non-IL resident and Loyola?

By chance when did y'all apply? My secondary app was turned in around Oct. 20th, do you think that I did it too late in the game to get a chance to interview ? My stats pretty much match theirs, except for my science gpa (3.33) which unfortunately sits low for everybody......

Thank you so much ! It definitely helped -- congrats to everyone who got in !!

Hi all, looking forward to meeting everyone next fall! :) Congrats to us all!

Hi everyone,

Can any of you share information about Loyola's financial aid? Do they mostly give loans? Scholarships? grants?

Thanks for any information you can provide...

Hey... just found this thread today. Anyone thinking about what type of car they're going to buy? My undergrad was in the city, so a car was not necessary. Now though, it clearly will be.

Driving here kinda blows, today I was sliding all over and most of the snow was actually from a few days ago. With the idea that this car should be able to traverse through Chicago's snowy winters, is anyone leaning towards a 4wd car or a suv?

Last edited:
I am planning on sticking with my Corolla because there are only a handful of days when I wish I had something larger. Plus you just can't beat the gas efficiency these days.

Hey... just found this thread today. Anyone thinking about what type of car they're going to buy? My undergrad was in the city, so a car was not necessary. Now though, it clearly will be.

Driving here kinda blows, today I was sliding all over and most of the snow was actually from a few days ago. With the idea that this car should be able to traverse through Chicago's snowy winters, is anyone leaning towards a 4wd car or a suv?

Just to let you know, for the MOST part, on MOST days, the streets are cleared well enough that you don't actually need a special kind of car. I drive a little Honda, and do just fine (and I am a California guy, so no experience with snow really)

congrats guys, I have been driving a corrola to loyola and it has worked out quite nicely, especially when it comes to parking and gas:D. They do a great job cleaning the street when it's not congested.

The library looks very ordinary. There's really nothing fancy architecturally (compared to the gym), but they do have some live plants and fish tank for decoration on the first floor. It's quiet and clean and serves it's function well.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Good to hear about the cars. You guys have any recommendations for living?

Good to hear about the cars. You guys have any recommendations for living?

It really depends on what you want. The tradition has been for most 1st and 2nd years to live in the Forest Park or Oak Park area, and then many people move downtown for third year and beyond. I have no idea why this is the tradition, but I did this too.

If you are looking in Chicago proper, consider the wicker park area - cheap, fun, nice places - about as close as you can get west and still have some nice places to walk to.

Are/Can rotations be done in the city?

There are opportunities to do a handful of electives away wherever you want during the fourth year, and there are a few sites (eg family) that can be done at sites in Chicago - but most rotations are done at the home campus.

I live in Wicker Park, and it is only like 10 miles or so from campus.

Hi folks,

Congrats to those of you who will be joining Stritch soon! It's a great school and as a 4th year student I can honestly say that I am so happy I went to med school at Loyola. It was everything I wanted and more. Please let me know if you have any questions-- I will try and help. I am not on here all the time, but I will try and check on this thread when I can. You can also PM me if you want. I live in Forest Park, about 10 - 15 mins from school. I will be renting out my 2 bedroom condo to incoming first years, so you can contact me if you are interested in that as well!

Hi All,

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm in my second year at Loyola and loving it. I'd also be happy to answer any questions.

The one that I saw that might not have been answered was about scholarships...I found out in March, I believe.

I hope I'll get to meet all of you next year! :D:D:D

Leah

Hey everyone, I was accepted back in November, but I just found this thread. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

I just received an interview invite to Loyola, but I'm short on cash due to other interviews. I like how they organize their curriculum and the spiritual/religious components of it, but have heard that there are not many research opportunities.

Are their opportunities to stay w/ a med student? Is there a bus station nearby?

I just received an interview invite to Loyola, but I'm short on cash due to other interviews. I like how they organize their curriculum and the spiritual/religious components of it, but have heard that there are not many research opportunities.

Are their opportunities to stay w/ a med student? Is there a bus station nearby?

There are definitely opportunities to stay w/ a med student--and the admissions office will set it up for you. They're pretty good about coordinating all of those details to make sure your travel logistics work out. There are bus stations around if you play on traveling to Chicago by bus (where are you located? Megabus is cheap to Chicago, and then you can take public transport out to the suburbs easily)--if you're staying w/ a student, they'll get you to the school the day of the interview.

I am loving Loyola, but research has never been my focus, so I can't say much about that personally, but I do have several friends who have been involved with research at Loyola and are actively presenting their work at conferences across the country. There is a summer research program (STAR) as well as the MD/PhD option.

I have also been very happy with the course set-up. Starting out with only one course was excellent during M1, and M2 has been very manageable as well.

Of course I'm biased, but there is no other school in the country that I'd rather be at...and I think that you get that feeling by coming and experiencing the atmosphere at Loyola. And I agree--what ministry has to offer (International service trips, chaplain shadowing, retreats, etc), learning within the setting of a Jesuit institution (and I'm not Catholic), and my classmates who have selected to be learning in this environment and taking advantage of what Loyola has to offer have all made my experiences at Loyola so far unique and excellent.

Anything else you're wondering about Loyola? What other schools are you considering?

Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have about Loyola or logistics for interviewing--and I imagine if you ask the admissions office about logistics they'll be helpful, too.

--Leah :)

Yeah, Hawk, I would definitely recommend that you visit Loyola. You have to be there to really understand how special it is. I interviewed for the MD/PhD program in December, and am currently waiting to hear back. Before I went for the interview, I was 98% sure that I was going somewhere else, but after visiting, I am strongly leaning towards Loyola (if I get in, of course).

It's a great learning environment, the facilities are excellent, the students are happy and low-stress, the hospital's mission and vision are great, etc. And as an MD/PhD applicant, I can say that there are ample opportunities to do research. There isn't any required research, which is why I think some people don't think it's available. If you want to do it, and go looking for it, it's easy to find (the STAR program is developing quickly I hear).

Anyways, I hope I was of some help. :)

I just got back from a second look at Loyola and I am really looking forward to starting next year! If anyone else interviewed over a break or on a Saturday I would take another look with classes in session.

Also, the M1s mentioned that Loyola has started providing (read: including in tuition) all of our instruments (stethoscope, otoscope, hammer, etc).

Hi,

Congrats to the new incoming class! As I said, I'm a 4th year and I want to reassure you that there is PLENTY of opportunities for research-- as much or as little as you want. We have many, many funded researchers in many of our departments,from bench research to clinical research to translational research, you name it. We have two research presentation days in the fall and spring every year (St. Alberts Day and St. Luke's Day) where residents and students present their work. You can get as involved as you want, and many students graduate having published their own stuff and some are even lead authors. Don't worry about research at all at Loyola-- there's plenty!

hey all of you accepted to loyola university.. can you please share your thoughts on whether i have a chance at getting into any medical school but loyola being the top choice...
I am from suburbs like most of you. currently i attend u of I, and i am majoring in molecular biology.. Here are my stats
- my overall gpa is 3.4 however my BCPM gpa is 3.15
- my mcat score is 34. i think i can might be able to do better if i retake.
- I really dont have much voluteering experience.. i have just being volunteering at a few local hospitals on and off for the past couple years.
- i plan to take year of school after i graduate.
so what are my chances?????

hey all of you accepted to loyola university.. can you please share your thoughts on whether i have a chance at getting into any medical school but loyola being the top choice...

Hi there!

First off, a 34 is a great MCAT score, especially if it's pretty balanced. There's no reason for you to be retaking the MCAT.
It wouldn't hurt to bring your grades up a bit in the time you've got left in undergrad, and if you plan to take a year off, some volunteer work is always good too. But don't retake the MCAT--a 34 is plenty high!

thanks leahmaria for your though.

My concern is that i only have a semester left, i cant really change anything right now. my overall gpa wont really improve much and neither will my BCPM gpa. I really have no idea what i should do right now. I really did terrible my first two years of undergrad. due to fam. problems my first semester of soph year i got a 2.6 gpa with my pre-med courses like orgo, and basic biology courses. So that is why my BCPM gpa is soo bad! but i did improve my gpa junior yr and this year significantly.
i think that i will be denied because most school just look at your number in your primary application (that BCPM gpa is the dagger). I dont think i get past the primary application. So, do guys based on your experience think that i should give it a shot still or give up?
i will still aply for medical school, but i sorta down about it!

Loyola is not a school that is purely about numbers-- they care more about the person you are and what you want out of your education. The Jesuit philosophy is based on service to those who cannot help themselves. Service to others is a big part of the curriculum here, so ask yourself: how can I show that service to others is important to me? Perhaps during your time off you can volunteer at Loyola, or get involved in your community. It doesn't really matter what you do, just do something that is meaningful and important to you. If you like to teach, see if you can tutor kids for free at a local school where the kids can't afford a tutor. If you play music, how about playing music for sick kids in the hospital? Think of something that you can contribute to others and the people around you, and that my friend will make you a good candidate to apply to Loyola. That's the kind of people we are looking for.

I have been recently accepted to Loyola and I am very excited about starting this fall. I think I will try to live in either the Forest Park or Oak Park area as it sounds like a popular choice for the first and second years. Quick question for the upperclassman, how does Loyola fare on the boards compared to the national average? Is there any website that posts these stats?

By the way, sounds like you all are freezing up there...

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/brutal.cold.day.2.908889.html

Hello,

I have been accepted to Loyola but I am not sure if I will attend. Here are my reservations:

1.They grade on a curve.
2.Non-organ based curriculum.
3. I worry about living expenses. How much is it to live there? Where I live daily expenses are cheap...

Please comment...

I loved the gym! Also the people there are really nice. I know that I am blessed to have a choice of where I attend medical school but the decision is not easy...

For those that are currently at Loyola, do you mind giving me some round about financial figures... About how much do you take out in loans? PM me if you wish...:D

Hello,

I have been accepted to Loyola but I am not sure if I will attend. Here are my reservations:

1.They grade on a curve.
2.Non-organ based curriculum.
3. I worry about living expenses. How much is it to live there? Where I live daily expenses are cheap...

Please comment...

I loved the gym! Also the people there are really nice. I know that I am blessed to have a choice of where I attend medical school but the decision is not easy...

A few comments...

1. The curve thing, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Realistically, at any school, you are going to be evaluated against your peers in one form or another. Whether it be explicit (with a curve) or implicit (by making tests hard enough to distribute grades). Overall, the things I would worry about with a curve would be the competitive atmosphere it has the potential to create. At Loyola, there is an overwhelming tradition of the students working together in a non-competitive format and supporting each other, so this is a good thing.

2. WRT the non-organ based curriculum, I am not sure why this matters. I particularly liked doing things in discreet chunks (eg anatomy, physiology, pathology) and getting a bit of planned redundancy by seeing an organ a few times. Just my preference.

3. Living expenses - you should chat with the financial aid people for a detailed and personal evaluation. They are pretty friendly and helpful. They will help you decide what budget will work for you and what resources will be available to you. Comparing yourself to others in this regard might not be super useful as every individual has different needs and resources.

Good Luck!

Because I've forgotten... How many hours/day or /week does loyola have lecture? And are they mandatory? Thanks!

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/templates/edueff/semester1.cfm?adjust=0&academic_level=1

This is the first year first semester calendar. Note that PCM small group is only one day a week (you either have it tuesday afternoon, wednesday morning or thursday afternoon, not all three). The PCM lectures are mandatory first year, but the rest aren't. Small groups are mandatory.

Also for anatomy, they did something different w/ lab this past year...so I think you disect 2/3 of the time and do independent learning in lab the other 1/3?

dude that second look weekend is SWEEEEET! They pay for EVERYTHING! Travel, stay, food...wow, thats impressive. Vacatin time!!! Im definitely gonna go seeing as it doesnt conflict with rugby playoffs. anybody else?

dude that second look weekend is SWEEEEET! They pay for EVERYTHING! Travel, stay, food...wow, thats impressive. Vacatin time!!! Im definitely gonna go seeing as it doesnt conflict with rugby playoffs. anybody else?

RySerr, are you talking about the "Second Date" thing on Friday, March 27th--or is there another second look weekend they're hosting? (And, did you get more information than the initial email and flyer they sent out?)

If they pay for travel for the "Second Date" thing, I'll definitely come in for it...

I haven't heard anything about them paying for travel or lodging. I RSVP'd on the day they sent out the email and haven't gotten any more information yet.