Jan 2, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I am currently an undergraduate student in Texas that's working towards my B.S in psychology.

I originally planned on going into masters program in counseling to be a LPC. However, I've seen at some places that licensed clinical social workers CAN do PSYCHOTHERAPY just like the LPCs can.

Is this true? My school advisor told me that LPC are the ones that can counsel and LCSWs cannot.

Can anyone clarify this for me?


Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Yeah, your advisor is wrong. LCSWs can provide psychotherapy in Texas, and there are plenty of LCSWs in private practice. I have a friend who does this, in fact.
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.