Creighton Phoenix vs Frank H Netter Quinnipac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittymom

Reaction score
Creighton Phoenix
Pros
  • from socal so this is close to home
  • I love the sun
  • vibes of students and faculty are SO supportive and wholesome
  • I like urban living + patient population so I would enjoy having a lot to do here
  • Friday quizzes so weekends are conducive to relaxing
  • associated hospitals all within close proximity
Cons
  • internal research does not seem strong BUT school is close to UofA and Mayo and many students are involved with faculty there (current students report no shortage of research but this is def a concern if I want to do something competitive)
  • newer campus (though home campus in Omaha is established) and few home residency programs
  • H/P/F
  • match list is good but slightly primary-care focused (probably due to mission of school) and I may be interested in competitive specialties. afraid to close doors? not entirely sure if this is true or if I am reading too much into the match list lol.

Quinnipac
Pros
  • amazing match list, many students at GREAT programs (several matches to Yale, Hofstra, NYU, UCLA, UCSD)
  • close-ish to NYC (have always wanted to live there for a bit)
  • MeSH program for longitudinal, hands-on clinical exposure - students seem to love it
  • true P/F
  • close to Yale (but only 10 students are selected via lottery for research here) and UConn, both strong institutions to build connections at
Cons
  • cold and far
  • internal research is weak
  • no home hospital, lots of driving especially for MeSH program
  • no home residencies
  • located in North Haven. As long as there is SOME stuff to do and is close to the city, this could be okay
Summary: I would ideally like to go to Creighton because of location BUT if it will be better for my career in the long run (possibly matching into a competitive specialty) then I am 100% willing to go to Quinnipac to keep my match options open and be a strong applicant for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go quinnipiac. Although they are same tier, research is important and new schools are generally a disaster when it comes to opportunities

I would go quinnipiac. Although they are same tier, research is important and new schools are generally a disaster when it comes to opportunities
Thanks for ur input! I think I would have to outsource research at both places, do you think it would be better to outsource at quinnipac?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for ur input! I think I would have to outsource research at both places, do you think it would be better to outsource at quinnipac?
Both are good. Go to creighton if you wanna outsource research as there are 2 other MD schools in the same city. Mayo is huge too

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with Creighton-Phoenix. Being close to family would be nice/convenient, and it sounds like it would probably be easier to do research with Mayo nearby as opposed to being 1/10 who gets chosen to do research with Yale.

There is no tangible advantage for moving across the country to attend Quinnipiac over Creighton.