LumaDent Loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morrisons2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with LumaDent loupes. I know they have a good reputation for their light but was hoping to hear if anyone has used their loupes and what they thought. I am currently a D2 and am looking to purchase my first pair of loupes. I am currently between Q-Optics and LumaDent but I have also heard good things about Surgitel however I don't think they have a rep at my school.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with LumaDent loupes. I know they have a good reputation for their light but was hoping to hear if anyone has used their loupes and what they thought. I am currently a D2 and am looking to purchase my first pair of loupes. I am currently between Q-Optics and LumaDent but I have also heard good things about Surgitel however I don't think they have a rep at my school.

Thanks in advance!!

I am also stuck between these brands. Already have the Lumadent light which is great. But I like the Q-optics 3.5 prismatic. They are just so much more expensive than the Lumadent loupes. I don't know of anyone at my school that has or can recommend Lumadent loupes. Hoping someone on SDN has good things to say about them

I am also stuck between these brands. Already have the Lumadent light which is great. But I like the Q-optics 3.5 prismatic. They are just so much more expensive than the Lumadent loupes. I don't know of anyone at my school that has or can recommend Lumadent loupes. Hoping someone on SDN has good things to say about them
So, I don't have the loupes yet (they should arrive this week) but I have ordered a set from Lumadent. I'll follow up at some point once I work with them some.

Why did I choose them? I spent a good amount of time trying on loupes at various lunch and learns and later at our loupes fair and wasn't even interested in Lumadent at first. I tried on several pairs of Q-optics loupes, Surgitel and Designs for Vision loupes. I tried on the Lumadent loupes on just to keep my options open and then found myself coming back to the table over and over again. I just found them very clear and was comfortable with the magnification. They also had a frame I liked and were willing to work with my normal glasses Rx (others will do this as well but you may have a more limited choice of frames). I got a set of 3.3x loupes with a prescription insert and the warm light with the short cord for a little over $1300, so the price was really good too. True, I haven't used them yet, so maybe I will hate them, I don't know, but I feel really good about my choice right now and I haven't broken the bank.

Loupe choosing advice: One thing that really helped my decision was paying attention to color as well as finding a magnification that I was comfortable with. Have a piece of paper with lines on it- my student ID has a bar code, but I hear graph paper works- and look for color bleeding around the lines. You will see blue and yellow bleed around black lines. I think they all do this a little, but I eliminated one brand immediately once I started looking at this because it was so much worse than the others. I hadn't been comfortable with them and it really helped me put my finger on the issue.

Anyway, good luck, I'll let you know how I feel about my purchase.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance!!

I have the 3.5 prismatic Q-optics paired with a Lumadent light! Perfect combo! They’re comfortable, they don’t slip. Can’t complain.

So, I don't have the loupes yet (they should arrive this week) but I have ordered a set from Lumadent. I'll follow up at some point once I work with them some.

Why did I choose them? I spent a good amount of time trying on loupes at various lunch and learns and later at our loupes fair and wasn't even interested in Lumadent at first. I tried on several pairs of Q-optics loupes, Surgitel and Designs for Vision loupes. I tried on the Lumadent loupes on just to keep my options open and then found myself coming back to the table over and over again. I just found them very clear and was comfortable with the magnification. They also had a frame I liked and were willing to work with my normal glasses Rx (others will do this as well but you may have a more limited choice of frames). I got a set of 3.3x loupes with a prescription insert and the warm light with the short cord for a little over $1300, so the price was really good too. True, I haven't used them yet, so maybe I will hate them, I don't know, but I feel really good about my choice right now and I haven't broken the bank.

Loupe choosing advice: One thing that really helped my decision was paying attention to color as well as finding a magnification that I was comfortable with. Have a piece of paper with lines on it- my student ID has a bar code, but I hear graph paper works- and look for color bleeding around the lines. You will see blue and yellow bleed around black lines. I think they all do this a little, but I eliminated one brand immediately once I started looking at this because it was so much worse than the others. I hadn't been comfortable with them and it really helped me put my finger on the issue.

Thanks so much for replying, sorry I just saw this. I ended up ordering mine too. Let me know what you think of yours. I just couldn't get over how comfortable they were. And I know that other companies might have better clarity but I dont think that was a major concern for me when I am only getting 3.0x. Excited to see how I feel after using them next semester.

Any updates on the lumadent loupes?? I'm trying to decide between these and the oroscoptics.

Any updates on the lumadent loupes?? I'm trying to decide between these and the oroscoptics.

I have a set of lumandent prismatic loupes. I am very happy with my purchase. I took advantage of a promotion that on their TTL loupes. Normally like 1250 I think I got my loupes for approx $1000. I also have the Lumadent light that I got through my school's group buy. Total i spent like $1600 where some of my classmates have like $2000 or more. I was between this and Q optics and did not notice a difference between the two companies. I had both loupes in my hands and felt like like the Lumadent just a much as the Q optics and the savings was the deciding factor. I have had good experience with their rep and the customer service. No regrets!

I’m pretty happy with my lumadent loupes. I think I got a great value for my money and they work fine in lab and clinic. I wouldn’t mind an upgrade in the future, and I might look at different companies at that time, but for the moment I think I have exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m pretty happy with my lumadent loupes. I think I got a great value for my money and they work fine in lab and clinic. I wouldn’t mind an upgrade in the future, and I might look at different companies at that time, but for the moment I think I have exactly what I need.

Which loupes did you go with? Magnification and frames? I think I want to go on the cheaper side. I'm just a ds1 and have no idea what I'm looking for yet. I was thinking of going for their flip up 3.0x for $550, and then just upgrading next year or something once I know what I need. Did you happen to try on any of the flip ups? Any cons with those? Also how is their customer service and dealing with their warranty?

Which loupes did you go with? Magnification and frames? I think I want to go on the cheaper side. I'm just a ds1 and have no idea what I'm looking for yet. I was thinking of going for their flip up 3.0x for $550, and then just upgrading next year or something once I know what I need. Did you happen to try on any of the flip ups? Any cons with those? Also how is their customer service and dealing with their warranty?

I couldn’t find my invoice but I got the wrap around type frame and I know that I got the 3.3 x magnification. I wear prescription glasses so I got an insert for those so I could get the frames I wanted. They will put a prescription directly into other frames and oculars.

I did not try flip ups. I would pay attention to the weight between those and frames with built ins. A heavy set of glasses can become uncomfortable after a few hours of wear. A little more magnification is nice if you can afford it, 3.3x works for me and I still have a good field of vision when I’m looking at more than a single tooth...but there are times when I’m working on a prep and I wish I could see a little better. I don’t think it justifies spending a lot on high mag prismatic loupes while in school though. You might consider 3.5x (I think the 3.3x were being discontinued anyway). I haven’t had any issues with my loupes so I don’t know about customer service. I do know that the rep comes to the school every so often to help people out and everything that I ordered came to me quickly and it was what I expected.

I couldn’t find my invoice but I got the wrap around type frame and I know that I got the 3.3 x magnification. I wear prescription glasses so I got an insert for those so I could get the frames I wanted. They will put a prescription directly into other frames and oculars.

I did not try flip ups. I would pay attention to the weight between those and frames with built ins. A heavy set of glasses can become uncomfortable after a few hours of wear. A little more magnification is nice if you can afford it, 3.3x works for me and I still have a good field of vision when I’m looking at more than a single tooth...but there are times when I’m working on a prep and I wish I could see a little better. I don’t think it justifies spending a lot on high mag prismatic loupes while in school though. You might consider 3.5x (I think the 3.3x were being discontinued anyway). I haven’t had any issues with my loupes so I don’t know about customer service. I do know that the rep comes to the school every so often to help people out and everything that I ordered came to me quickly and it was what I expected.

i initially had the flip ups. very easy to adjust i liked them quite a bit. they kept moving every time i turned my head. I then opted for the TTL. The rep and I after I made the switch figured out it was because my light cable was too short for the flip up setup (simple cable change would have fixed the issue). I went with 3.5 Prismatic with the Argon Premium Safety Glasses frame. I wish the had Nike or Oakley frames but if you went with the flip up you could mount the loupes on any frames you want I guess. Pleased with my purchase. Dont let any rep talk you into magnification less than 2.5X. 3.5X Prismatic is nice and lets me see an entire quad

I have had experience with their customer service. I initially went with the 4.0 Galilean (returned those bc i thought they were tad heavy and they just came out with their prismatic loupes. Tried their flip up prismatic and even turned a classmate on to them. I think the price point is hard to beat and quality was same as Q optics.

i initially had the flip ups. very easy to adjust i liked them quite a bit. they kept moving every time i turned my head. I then opted for the TTL. The rep and I after I made the switch figured out it was because my light cable was too short for the flip up setup (simple cable change would have fixed the issue). I went with 3.5 Prismatic with the Argon Premium Safety Glasses frame. I wish the had Nike or Oakley frames but if you went with the flip up you could mount the loupes on any frames you want I guess. Pleased with my purchase. Dont let any rep talk you into magnification less than 2.5X. 3.5X Prismatic is nice and lets me see an entire quad

I have had experience with their customer service. I initially went with the 4.0 Galilean (returned those bc i thought they were tad heavy and they just came out with their prismatic loupes. Tried their flip up prismatic and even turned a classmate on to them. I think the price point is hard to beat and quality was same as Q optics.
Thanks everyone for the help!
I also liked the argon frames a lot, but I also think i want to add my prescription to the frames. Was the cable for their unilux light? thats the light i was going to go with. I honestly wasn't going to go with the prismatic because at the price they're quoting me, I might as well go a few hundred more and get surgitel or orascoptics or something. So do you know if their regular 3.0 flip ups or the 3.5 micro flip ups are galilean? Also, was the weight okay for you with the flip ups?

Thanks everyone for the help!
I also liked the argon frames a lot, but I also think i want to add my prescription to the frames. Was the cable for their unilux light? thats the light i was going to go with. I honestly wasn't going to go with the prismatic because at the price they're quoting me, I might as well go a few hundred more and get surgitel or orascoptics or something. So do you know if their regular 3.0 flip ups or the 3.5 micro flip ups are galilean? Also, was the weight okay for you with the flip ups?
weight was fine for the flipups. I think the flipups come in Galilean and prismatic. I had the light setup for the TTL loupes which had slightly shorter cable from the switch on the side of frame to the light. cable length shouldnt be a concern. I just purchased them separately (both Lumadent though) so I could have communicated better with the rep about the setup I was putting together.

Good luck with the purchase!