Luminello shutting down. Alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clozareal

The Child
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that Luminello has been bought out by Simple Practice, this might be a good time to consider a new medical record system rather than doing the default transition to Simple Practice since all my patients will have to learn a new system anyways. Any thoughts about the best EMR out there right now?

Here are some that I was looking at:
IntakeQ/PracticeQ
Valant
Charm
Athena
AdvancdMD
Dr. Chrono
Practice Fusion
Kareo
Osmind

For the transition to Simple Practice, the good thing is that they say they will transfer all records without us having to do anything, credit card information is securely carried over, currently scheduled appointments are carried over. They have Google Calendar and iCal sync which is nice. They also have an app. However, they don't have integrated eRx until March, and they won't have integrated labs until next year. The issue is they've never supported psychiatrists before so I anticipate many issues with billing, meds, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I love IntakeQ/practiceQ! There is a learning curve and it takes time to set up but it’s so customizable and allows me to automate most of my admin work. They have eprescribing but not elabs. I had luminello before and switched ~18 months ago

Reactions: 1 users
I use Osmind and I like it a lot. They are run by psychiatrists too. Receptive to feedback as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting to hear from a psychiatrist who uses SP. Did they offer any other particulars about e-rx? I use iPrescribe now in conjunction and it's a little annoying to use two systems.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the EMR.

For the transition to Simple Practice, the good thing is that they say they will transfer all records without us having to do anything, credit card information is securely carried over, currently scheduled appointments are carried over. They have Google Calendar and iCal sync which is nice. They also have an app. However, they don't have integrated eRx until March, and they won't have integrated labs until next year. The issue is they've never supported psychiatrists before so I anticipate many issues with billing, meds, etc.

I am in the same situation. I was not very satisfied with Luminello.
But just the thought of having to collect credit card information from each patient all over again... is painful.

Also, how do you plan to store the EMR for each patient if you migrate to a new platform?

I love IntakeQ/practiceQ! There is a learning curve and it takes time to set up but it’s so customizable and allows me to automate most of my admin work. They have eprescribing but not elabs. I had luminello before and switched ~18 months ago
Is the billing process easier with IntakeQ/practiceQ?
I think the billing process with luminello is not straightforward.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying out PracticeQ right now. It's got a lot going for it but also some major drawbacks. It takes a lot more clicks to navigate than other EMRs.

I haven't fully left Charm. It has a lot of functionality under the hood that takes some time to really master but when you do, can speed things up a lot.

I looked into Epic Community Connect, where you tag on for an Epic license with a bigger institution. 55k + 6k/doctor initially, then 600/month. However, if you find an organization to partner with, you can bring the fees down 90%, which put it around the same cost as many of the ones you mentioned. I spoke with a psychiatrist in another state who pretty much gets Epic for free. Trouble is that none of the big hospital systems in my (I think yours as well) area have really responded to my attempts to get Epic. I got a list of institutions from Epic directly. One said I was out of their geographic region (they only operate in one county), another told me to go pound sand, and two seemed promising at first but then went radio silent after a while. One gave me pricing, came out to 5k up front and then 350/month but had to take weekend call at the hospital 3-4 times a year. I was interested but they never responded after I expressed my interest (or to the follow up emails I sent). I spoke with an opthalmologist in the same city as me who's also been trying to get Epic and she had very much the same experience. If you're interested, I can send you the contact info for the two that seemed promising; you may have better luck than I did.

Also, if you do a lot of rating scales as part of your intake , PracticeQ is unparalleled. You can make forms to your specifications, use conditional logic (i.e., trigger certain questions or even whole forms based on previous questions), and export to Excel. So if someone selects female, it'll pop up pregnancy and breastfeeding questions; if someone says no, they don't drink any alcohol, it'll hide the AUDIT-C that I typically have patients fill out, etc. Then you can click a button, export to CSV and then have Excel auto-score everything.

Reactions: 2 users
I asked the question about e-ex. Apparently simple practice will have epcs integrated into their system. It's actually a very good EMR for psych. Now that they will have e-ex, I think it will be great.

I was interested in Osmind but they don't have self scheduling yet.

I've been satisfied with Luminello, although could see it getting a bit clunky as my practice grows. Most of my headaches have been with Apex/Change Healthcare, so not directly Luminello itself. I do like the prospect of everything (clearinghouse, video calls) being run through SimplePractice instead of having to use Apex and doxy.me. It will be annoying for me and patients to have to learn a new system, but I would assume e-prescribing should be up and running before the transition, which will be the most important thing. I'm sure getting enrolled with payers again will be a pain and it sounds like they are actively encouraging us to do that as soon as we accept the migration. The main thing I am concerned with is labs. How am I supposed to order labs for patients now with no ability to print lab slips? Any advice?

I'm signed up for an annual plan on Luminello and haven't seen anything about a refund for the unused months that I've already paid for, or if that will be used as a credit at SimplePractice.

I am in the same situation. I was not very satisfied with Luminello.
But just the thought of having to collect credit card information from each patient all over again... is painful.

Also, how do you plan to store the EMR for each patient if you migrate to a new platform?
I exported all notes and med history as a pdf and uploaded to practice Q. It’s tedious but not terrible if you start early. I made a credit card auth form that I sent all patients when I migrated which took no time once set up

I've been satisfied with Luminello, although could see it getting a bit clunky as my practice grows. Most of my headaches have been with Apex/Change Healthcare, so not directly Luminello itself. I do like the prospect of everything (clearinghouse, video calls) being run through SimplePractice instead of having to use Apex and doxy.me. It will be annoying for me and patients to have to learn a new system, but I would assume e-prescribing should be up and running before the transition, which will be the most important thing. I'm sure getting enrolled with payers again will be a pain and it sounds like they are actively encouraging us to do that as soon as we accept the migration. The main thing I am concerned with is labs. How am I supposed to order labs for patients now with no ability to print lab slips? Any advice?

I'm signed up for an annual plan on Luminello and haven't seen anything about a refund for the unused months that I've already paid for, or if that will be used as a credit at SimplePractice.

Labs - I was planning on making a note template. The generic lab slip format luminello uses is super... generic. I figure, I'll print out a dummy slip with all the labs I could possibly want through luminello, then make it into a template on SP.
(my practice is too small, and there are too many different labs in my area, to use lab integration more than, like, once [and even then, probably just for the novelty])

I love(d) luminello.
Not looking forward to this change.
Without having looked at simple practice yet, I'm likely to just continue with Simple Practice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Strictly speaking in most states you don't need some specific form in order to order labs provided you supply all the required information (diagnosis, test, your NPI, name, signature, patient identifiers, etc). You could write it by hand on a cocktail napkin, strictly speaking.

You may also want to look into getting an account through Quest and obviate the issue, super convenient.

• Haha
Print the patient demographic sheet with their address, insurance, etc

Then write the labs on bottom.
Your NPI details name title etc
sign/date

Is the billing process easier with IntakeQ/practiceQ?
I think the billing process with luminello is not straightforward.

Yes. You can run reporting functions to see if visits over X time period have not been billed. There are notes and invoices attached to each visit. It's easy to create an electronic CMS 1500 claim to send to insurance and if your ERAs are functional it's automatically updated on intakeQ so you can see how much money is coming back, if claims are rejected etc. It's easy to create superbills and do refunds if needed. The payment processor seems to be as good as any other, nothing special. Probably 3-3.3% of credit cards (including all the fixed and variable charges).

I have an admin now that I'm trying to grow my practice and add other docs, though I still do my own billing/claims submission because I just got used to the workflow when I was solo and it takes 30s per patient visit.

Yes. You can run reporting functions to see if visits over X time period have not been billed. There are notes and invoices attached to each visit. It's easy to create an electronic CMS 1500 claim to send to insurance and if your ERAs are functional it's automatically updated on intakeQ so you can see how much money is coming back, if claims are rejected etc. It's easy to create superbills and do refunds if needed. The payment processor seems to be as good as any other, nothing special. Probably 3-3.3% of credit cards (including all the fixed and variable charges).

I have an admin now that I'm trying to grow my practice and add other docs, though I still do my own billing/claims submission because I just got used to the workflow when I was solo and it takes 30s per patient visit.
Wasn't there a SNAFU with PracticeQ not to long ago where they charged their providers a bunch of money on accident?

Wasn't there a SNAFU with PracticeQ not to long ago where they charged their providers a bunch of money on accident?
There was an issue like that. In my case it was $50 or something and they refunded me reasonably quickly. They overcharged the CC processing fees in that case.

The customer service is good enough for me. They respond to emails within a day or so and are generally helpful. they do not have live chat support or a live phone number. Some of the more expensive EMRs (e.g kareo) have something like that.

The eprescribing works well on my desktop but for some reason doesn't work as well on my phone browser. I haven't cared enough to try to troubleshoot it.

There isn't any lab integration yet, but I have an online account with quest which makes things easy enough. If I was sending lab requests everyday it would be annoying. They're apparently working on an integration, no idea about the ETA.

If I was in your shoes I would probably give simplepractice a try before you jump ship. It sounds really annoying to port records. If you want a referral code to intakeQ PM me

It sounds the easiest just to transition to Simple Practice. Transferring all the medical records, credit card information, patient demographic information, appointments, all that sort of stuff seems like a headache and will probably cost me more time than I save in the long run with trying out these other EMRs.

Dr Chrono is a whole big package, it’s a lot more expensive than SP and it has a steep learning curve if you’re operating solo. If you’re sharing with partners or have staff helping, it might make a lot more sense.

Do we know more about the timeline for the switch? I just got the email asking me to consent to the transfer. It reads like luminello's functionality would end sometime soon, but it doesn't say exactly when. It will be pretty annoying if there actually is a time between the two systems up and running for billing and prescriptions. Even though I have a small caseload right now it still seems too daunting to transfer to an option other than SimplePractice. That, and the other options have features that don't fully align with what I want from them, because my practice was structured around luminello.

• Love
I just saw a patient and saw the charge credit card when signing feature is turned off for me. So maybe we don't have long to sort this out!

I just signed a note and it worked for me!
I haven't agreed to the switch yet, though... not sure if that changes anything.

Good to know. I just agreed to switch to SimplePractice and it sounds like users will keep using Luminello until some time in the first half of this year (likely another month or two). I presume it should keep working smoothly, but oddly I am still not able to post charges anymore despite Luminello indicating my account to do so is still active. I hope this kind of thing will not be a regular occurrence as they make the switch.

• Wow
An update: turns out I hadn't paid the CPT code licensing fee so my billing was disabled. All fixed now, and fortunately that means (I hope/presume) that Luminello will keep working as usual until we get booted off it.

An update: turns out I hadn't paid the CPT code licensing fee so my billing was disabled. All fixed now, and fortunately that means (I hope/presume) that Luminello will keep working as usual until we get booted off it.
That makes sense.

The group that owns SimplePractice called EngageSmart was owned by a private equity company and just sold to another PE firm. That makes me even more wary of transitioning to SP. https://www.reuters.com/markets/dea...-4-billion-buyout-engagesmart-wsj-2023-10-23/

I'm interested in your thoughts about what that might mean too clozareal.

I generally think of PE as having a ruthless focus on efficiency, cutting costs while also charging as much as possible for their services. The PE firm will be looking out for itself and will likely pursue some strategy that increases the perceived company value so that they can re-sell it for a profit a few years down the line. In brief, I think of most PE firms as focusing heavily on enriching themselves by extracting maximum value from the companies they acquire rather than on trying to create good companies to work for, serving any kind of greater good, or ensuring a great experience for customers (unless letting any of the above slide results in less profitability).

I will say I have been messing around with the account they let us set up for SimplePractice and it seems pretty good. It is a little more polished than Luminello and might actually be more user-friendly after a bit of use. I'm fairly optimistic that it will be a good-enough substitution.

Years ago when looking at EMRs, some of them were selling data to 3rd party ad firms.
This might be what this PE is doing to generate more income?

The only EMRs that I haver ever liked using was Practice Fusion - very simple documentation; however I do not know how easy it is for scheduling/billing, etc.. The worst EMR I have used has been Valant.. by far - extremely not customizable, clunky, impossible to reach support.

On a separate note - I do not know how we are allowing these companies based in Asia to handle HIPAA data

I generally think of PE as having a ruthless focus on efficiency, cutting costs while also charging as much as possible for their services. The PE firm will be looking out for itself and will likely pursue some strategy that increases the perceived company value so that they can re-sell it for a profit a few years down the line. In brief, I think of most PE firms as focusing heavily on enriching themselves by extracting maximum value from the companies they acquire rather than on trying to create good companies to work for, serving any kind of greater good, or ensuring a great experience for customers (unless letting any of the above slide results in less profitability).

I will say I have been messing around with the account they let us set up for SimplePractice and it seems pretty good. It is a little more polished than Luminello and might actually be more user-friendly after a bit of use. I'm fairly optimistic that it will be a good-enough substitution.
Oh no.
Now I’m really worried!
I prematurely agreed to the switch… I doubt they’ll let me cancel it, but I’m going to try!

If they don’t let me cancel because they were promised data and they want their data!! [cue finance bro tantrum]… then I guess I can switch FROM SP to whoever else as soon as I can, so at least they won’t get MORE data?

I’ve been preoccupied with this since last night (at the expense of finishing notes… whoops), and some therapist forums mentioned Sessions. Seems awesome, except no e-rx. But maybe it’s worth it to keep the medical record with a more ethical seeming company, and just deal with the annoyance of keeping a separate e-rx account?

Do any of y’all know anything about Sessions?

I think you're right about cutting costs and increasing prices to drive profits. They were apparently owned by another PE firm and sold to this one.

Well it looks like they cut their customer service team (there are none for demos for people interested in it), increased their monthly subscription fee, and increased the merchant fee to 3.15% up from the 2.9% that Stripe's price is which is what they use.

With Private Equity, there's also a risk of bankruptcy since the advisory and transaction fees of 1.25% of this $4 billion acquisition—roughly $60M—needs to be paid off somehow unless they have that cash on hand, which they don't. This means cost-cutting, price increasing, and if they can't settle their debts, shutting SimplePractice down.

Oh no.
Now I’m really worried!
I prematurely agreed to the switch… I doubt they’ll let me cancel it, but I’m going to try!

If they don’t let me cancel because they were promised data and they want their data!! [cue finance bro tantrum]… then I guess I can switch FROM SP to whoever else as soon as I can, so at least they won’t get MORE data?

At least in terms of patient privacy I think SimplePractice looks okay for now. They indicate that (from https://support.simplepractice.com/...implePractice-s-new-terms-and-policies-update):

• We do not sell your or your client’s Protected Health Information (PHI) or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
  • We do not access PHI outside of HIPAA guidelines
  • We do not keep PHI after termination of customers’ accounts after day 65
    • Note: We do keep PHI after termination of your account for up to 64 days pursuant to Section 24.1 which allows you to export your data
  • We do not provide AI with access to your data
  • We do not record telehealth sessions

If that ever changes and they plan to sell data in any way, I would immediately switch to another EMR.

At least in terms of patient privacy I think SimplePractice looks okay for now. They indicate that (from https://support.simplepractice.com/...implePractice-s-new-terms-and-policies-update):

• We do not sell your or your client’s Protected Health Information (PHI) or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
  • We do not access PHI outside of HIPAA guidelines
  • We do not keep PHI after termination of customers’ accounts after day 65
    • Note: We do keep PHI after termination of your account for up to 64 days pursuant to Section 24.1 which allows you to export your data
  • We do not provide AI with access to your data
  • We do not record telehealth sessions

If that ever changes and they plan to sell data in any way, I would immediately switch to another EMR.
Ugh. Thank you! I think I lost it there for a minute. Kind of like buyer’s remorse, but amplified by a constant and unrelenting (simmering) fear that I’m messing everything up by striking out on my own. 😅

I just signed. I'll be flipping over to Simple Practice.
Man this sucks. I got attached to Luminello.
My assistant loves it, too. We're both previous fans of Epic but Luminello was just better.
Did some training videos today, gave up after 30 minutes. Just feel sad. I know it was probably unrealistic to think I wouldn't have to ever have an EMR change again, but damn. I hope this Ken Braslow guy made bank. At least some one somewhere gets a smile on their face for this hundreds of clinicians and thousands of patients who all now have to change.

This is an interesting discussion. Particularly the thought about data ownership and PE. After looking up and down for integrated, interoperable full stack technology/EMR solutions with enough data security to protect patient information, I've decided to pay up for my own customizable solution built on top of salesforce. I wanted a solution to integrate my zoom account integrated with AI scribing technology, to capture, store, and own the data of all my clinical conversations. And then have that be infinitely customizable to solve the integration of other business activities like billing and payments for non-insurance group therapy, etc. Using salesforce in the base layer of the tech stack allows for all manner of customizable psychometric monitoring, data capture, and automating all of it. This option is a heavy upfront investment to build out, but then I own all the data, it's built around me, and is grows to fit my plans as they evolve. Out of the box emr's that try to be this and that don't have access to software engineering teams seem like frozen, clunky old ships with too many trade off's that weren't decided on by me.

Reactions: 4 users
This is an interesting discussion. Particularly the thought about data ownership and PE. After looking up and down for integrated, interoperable full stack technology/EMR solutions with enough data security to protect patient information, I've decided to pay up for my own customizable solution built on top of salesforce. I wanted a solution to integrate my zoom account integrated with AI scribing technology, to capture, store, and own the data of all my clinical conversations. And then have that be infinitely customizable to solve the integration of other business activities like billing and payments for non-insurance group therapy, etc. Using salesforce in the base layer of the tech stack allows for all manner of customizable psychometric monitoring, data capture, and automating all of it. This option is a heavy upfront investment to build out, but then I own all the data, it's built around me, and is grows to fit my plans as they evolve. Out of the box emr's that try to be this and that don't have access to software engineering teams seem like frozen, clunky old ships with too many trade off's that weren't decided on by me.

This is a fascinating approach. What is the order of magnitude cost wise you are anticipating splashing out for this?

This is a fascinating approach. What is the order of magnitude cost wise you are anticipating splashing out for this?
Fair question. I'm tilted towards the technology-enthusiastic-exuberant-willing to take risk--sort of approach to life and it's potential opportunity set. So... having stated that disclaimer. I'm in the price discovery phase, meeting with contractors, and getting quotes for different build out parameters. There's a wide range of pricing and ... as far as I can tell... differential ability to deliver, particularly with AI solutions, at the different price points. Health Cloud as a base layer can be negotiated down from list price to the 150-225 range per month and I guess in my case the cost of a pro account for zoom. At least from my information gathering. That plus the maintenance IT costs for wrangling salesforce updates to your complex integration plans, which I'm not entirely certain of just yet, but appears to be not too bad. That's my understanding of the maintenance costs. Then you have to plan a build out of a tech architecture and what you need it to accomplish. In my case: Zoom -->AI integration-->Data storage for future data mining, with automated summary into a a custom EMR. I am making a transition from 1099 work for a clinic to my own business and will need full service end-to-end automated insurance billing either ASAP or in the next phase of my business plan, but my tech stack will need that functionality from go. Having the CRM in the base layer of the tech stack allows for automation of dx specific path dependencies for psychometrics and patient education materials etc, which require integration with a knowledge data base and a content management system. I plan on creating a content creation pipeline with automations for clinical work but also for entrepreneurial content and men's mental health in the form of a podcast. But building out a technology first integrated platform with make the syndication steps frictionless and further data and algorithm management systems can come later. In other words you pay up large for limitless growth potential and next phase build out projects but you're only limited by your own imagination of what you could do. I also need this system to integrate for a planned website offering non-insurance group therapies and need the booking and payment and intake process to be fully automated and integrated.

That's my range of use cases. For the first phase--moving the data of all my current patients into the new new system with all the functionality of any of these EMR's above, but infinitely customizable to my liking, and to have the AI-zoom integration and insurance billing apparatus, all fully automated, I'm looking at 15K. Or thereabouts. But I haven't gotten a final quote from the contractor I want to work with who will lay out an itemized project delivery list for X total price. I'll let you know.

The other advantage to this kind of approach is that you have infinite scalability from go. I don't have aspirations to be an employer, but if I meet kindred spirits in men's group therapy, circles who want to work with me, It would be a snap to admin access to my system and transparently bill out for their services minus some admin fee for the technology maintenance.

TLDR: $2-300/month maintenance costs, 15k and up to pursue all your technology dreams for how you want your practice built around you. Expensive. But I'm putting a value for money assessment on it. I don't think traditional EMR's offer the same value as a custom solution. This is where we live out our careers every day. I'm ok with making it my own creative experience and paying for that.

Fair question. I'm tilted towards the technology-enthusiastic-exuberant-willing to take risk--sort of approach to life and it's potential opportunity set. So... having stated that disclaimer. I'm in the price discovery phase, meeting with contractors, and getting quotes for different build out parameters. There's a wide range of pricing and ... as far as I can tell... differential ability to deliver, particularly with AI solutions, at the different price points. Health Cloud as a base layer can be negotiated down from list price to the 150-225 range per month and I guess in my case the cost of a pro account for zoom. At least from my information gathering. That plus the maintenance IT costs for wrangling salesforce updates to your complex integration plans, which I'm not entirely certain of just yet, but appears to be not too bad. That's my understanding of the maintenance costs. Then you have to plan a build out of a tech architecture and what you need it to accomplish. In my case: Zoom -->AI integration-->Data storage for future data mining, with automated summary into a a custom EMR. I am making a transition from 1099 work for a clinic to my own business and will need full service end-to-end automated insurance billing either ASAP or in the next phase of my business plan, but my tech stack will need that functionality from go. Having the CRM in the base layer of the tech stack allows for automation of dx specific path dependencies for psychometrics and patient education materials etc, which require integration with a knowledge data base and a content management system. I plan on creating a content creation pipeline with automations for clinical work but also for entrepreneurial content and men's mental health in the form of a podcast. But building out a technology first integrated platform with make the syndication steps frictionless and further data and algorithm management systems can come later. In other words you pay up large for limitless growth potential and next phase build out projects but you're only limited by your own imagination of what you could do. I also need this system to integrate for a planned website offering non-insurance group therapies and need the booking and payment and intake process to be fully automated and integrated.

That's my range of use cases. For the first phase--moving the data of all my current patients into the new new system with all the functionality of any of these EMR's above, but infinitely customizable to my liking, and to have the AI-zoom integration and insurance billing apparatus, all fully automated, I'm looking at 15K. Or thereabouts. But I haven't gotten a final quote from the contractor I want to work with who will lay out an itemized project delivery list for X total price. I'll let you know.

The other advantage to this kind of approach is that you have infinite scalability from go. I don't have aspirations to be an employer, but if I meet kindred spirits in men's group therapy, circles who want to work with me, It would be a snap to admin access to my system and transparently bill out for their services minus some admin fee for the technology maintenance.

TLDR: $2-300/month maintenance costs, 15k and up to pursue all your technology dreams for how you want your practice built around you. Expensive. But I'm putting a value for money assessment on it. I don't think traditional EMR's offer the same value as a custom solution. This is where we live out our careers every day. I'm ok with making it my own creative experience and paying for that.
That was an intimidating read and I don’t understand most of what you wrote, but what I did understand sounds beautiful - owning all the data and building a structure from scratch to fit your specific needs and projects!

I mean, haha, I work in silicon valley area, so I absorb a lot of concepts, and have researched this pretty thoroughly. But keep in mind I just know these things as concepts. I realized quickly that finding and IT/software/digital architecture specialized contractor was going to be necessary. I tried to bubble gum and duck tape a few automations using zapier and an AI scribe app and then quickly realized when it comes to patient data, this homespun no-code approach would't cut it. I know enough only to understand what my contractor is saying if they act like they're speaking to a child. :)

After playing around in simplepractice more, I agree that some things are much better. The system they have in place for submitting the paperwork for setting up the insurance submissions was far, far better than it was at luminello, where the changehealthcare people never really got things right and took forever to work out. So hopefully the follow-through from SP will be as nice as the form submission.

I am a little concerned about other aspects of billing. Luminello had that great feature where I could have a dozen different pay tables to set up a sliding scale system. SP looks like I can only list one CPT code per visit (when the patients are booking the appointment, that is) and I can only charge one rate for each CPT code? Hopefully that changes for the better before the migration.

Man, I wish Sessions Health had e-prescribing… besides that, they seem so good! They separate legal and chosen names (which is one thing I hate about Luminello - my trans and NB patients who haven’t changed their legal names, and use insurance, keep having to see their dead names all over the place) and their website emphasizes their focus on privacy and ethics. The moment they get e-prescribing, goodbye SimplePractice!

Playing around with SimplePractice and it turns out there is basically no way apart from the kludgiest workaround imaginable to add a signed note to the chart without it being connected to an appointment in their calendar software, which I don't particularly care to use. This is what you call a show-stopper. Osmind is offering a discount and free data transfer from Luminello, demo booked.

I also really hate their templates. It is great if you want radio buttons and check boxes and I can see the efficiency gains, but for my style of documenting, not so much.

Seems like SP should have switched to the luminello platform after their purchase?
I haven't dug into it enough yet like y'all.

Playing around with SimplePractice and it turns out there is basically no way apart from the kludgiest workaround imaginable to add a signed note to the chart without it being connected to an appointment in their calendar software, which I don't particularly care to use. This is what you call a show-stopper. Osmind is offering a discount and free data transfer from Luminello, demo booked.

I also really hate their templates. It is great if you want radio buttons and check boxes and I can see the efficiency gains, but for my style of documenting, not so much.
Osmind is offering up to 35% off their price of $269 ($175) / month or $199 ($130) / month for the cheaper plan. I was paying $119 / month at luminello. This is such an absurd price increase, but I really can't find anything decent for what I was paying at luminello.

• Sad
Jeez. $269/month? Ouch.
That price point, I'd just duct tape things together using microsoft word, or heck, paper, and just scan it into a portable hard drive.
Or use the Google Drive and create folders.

I have an Osmind demo today and will report back. I can't schedule a demo with Dr. Chrono and Charm and their customer service doesn't seem great (if it exists at all).

I would much rather just have a blank notepad for my note. Why the different sections if they don't pull into any other parts of the note or chart?

So far, my favorites are PracticeQ, AdvancedMD, RxNT. I'll probably switch to PracticeQ unless SP is better.

Last edited:
Osmind is offering up to 35% off their price of $269 ($175) / month or $199 ($130) / month for the cheaper plan. I was paying $119 / month at luminello. This is such an absurd price increase, but I really can't find anything decent for what I was paying at luminello.
This is probably Luminello's issue. They didn't gradually increase their price enough to be increasingly profitable with inflation and interest rates the way they are, which makes them more susceptible to being bought out. They also were glacial in their software development. In the last year, they just started having text message reminders. They don't even have Google Calendar sync despite working on this for 5+ years.

I'm thinking about switching to Sessions, but am worried about the lack of e-prescribing... for some reason, that extra step of having a separate e-rx account feels daunting and like a setup for things falling through the cracks (what cracks though? are there even cracks?)

Do y'all know what services folks use for just e-prescribing?