lying about extracurricular activites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dboy

I was just wondering if admission committees look into extracurricular activites or just take your word? I've seen quite a few people who say they've done this that and the other thing and have a 4.0 G.PA as well. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not likely. I volunteer and shadow, but that's about it. I just wanted to see what y'all think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people do emebellish some parts of their application I'm sure, but sooner or later they'll get caught, and they'll regret it. Lying on your application is not worth the risk.

tinman831 said:
Some people do emebellish some parts of their application I'm sure, but sooner or later they'll get caught, and they'll regret it. Lying on your application is not worth the risk.

I'd say that's just good advice for your whole life - lying isn't worth the risk! Best of luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
dboy said:
I was just wondering if admission committees look into extracurricular activites or just take your word? I've seen quite a few people who say they've done this that and the other thing and have a 4.0 G.PA as well. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not likely. I volunteer and shadow, but that's about it. I just wanted to see what y'all think about it.

dont underestimate the power and of man and womankind, especially with the advent of energy drinks! hahaha

So I was once suspended from my college for stealing books from the student store. I had to pay a big fine and was locked out from the school for a semester and also took a theft "rehabilitation" course. Then I was allowed back to the school and they even erased the suspension from my records...literally, there is no record I was ever suspended.

So when the question on the AADSAS application about being disciplined for misconduct showed up on the AADSAS, I answered it truthfully. My prehealth advisor then asked me why I even mentioned it...(she looks into our past records to find out if we are lying on our applications). She figured since it was erased, there wasn't much reason to still bring it up.

I recall the conversation quite vividly...I think my exact response was something like:

"If I've learned anything from the time I got locked out of my own apartment while my girlfriend went on a violent rampage through my stuff, it is this...lying just isn't worth it. I still miss my accoustic guitars"

I wouldn't have mentioned something that wasn't on your record. They say lying is bad - but stretching the truth sometimes is what will land you your big break - in this case, an interview maybe. I'm not advocating anyone lie on their application, but certainly don't be modest by any means - applicants this cycle, as before, are ruthless.

you need to know if they caught you, you are screw of rest of your life and you will never gets into any professional school. I think it is a type of fraud too?

There are always cheaters and liars, but inner pride and respect is more important in the long run. One of my favorite quotes by Lincoln is:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."---Lincoln

forget flowery quotes and everyones moral viewpoints....is it REALLY worth risking your career and professional school over if you get caught? :cool:

well first of all how the hell are they suppose to catch u lying if
u write it down u did it.

But....
it is not right!
be honest...that is all you need :D

the truth comes from the gut, not the brain. you know there are more nerve ending in your gut than in your brain? look it up, cause i didn't. i know it's truth cause that's what my gut tells me.

papabear said:
the truth comes from the gut, not the brain. you know there are more nerve ending in your gut than in your brain? look it up, cause i didn't. i know it's truth cause that's what my gut tells me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
djeffreyt said:
So I was once suspended from my college for stealing books from the student store. I had to pay a big fine and was locked out from the school for a semester and also took a theft "rehabilitation" course. Then I was allowed back to the school and they even erased the suspension from my records...literally, there is no record I was ever suspended.

So when the question on the AADSAS application about being disciplined for misconduct showed up on the AADSAS, I answered it truthfully. My prehealth advisor then asked me why I even mentioned it...(she looks into our past records to find out if we are lying on our applications). She figured since it was erased, there wasn't much reason to still bring it up.

I recall the conversation quite vividly...I think my exact response was something like:

"If I've learned anything from the time I got locked out of my own apartment while my girlfriend went on a violent rampage through my stuff, it is this...lying just isn't worth it. I still miss my accoustic guitars"

Judging from my advisors, its somewhere are your record. As my girlfriend said "we know very well those advisors can be *****s."

djeffreyt said:

It may not have been noted on your academic record but i'm sure they have a copy of the incident in a file somewhere in the deans office. So if dental schools do call your school for a background check on you, they would have to report it.

dboy said:

it's just a matter of time before the admission committee will catch up to the lies.........lying your way into school will really get you in troubles later on......

You all have some good points, but do you really think a dental school will kick somebody out of school for lying about extracurricular activities? I mean look at how much money they would be losing! I think a lot of people get away with it for that very reason.

Maybe they wouldn't kick you out if they found out you lied after you had already started dental school...I don't know about that...NYU probably would since from all I've been hearing, in the first year it seems like they look for kids to give the boot to.

Still, the school has almost a year to look into whether or not you lied, so if they find out before, you're screwed. And more than a few dental schools if they discover a lie or problem with your application will share the fact with the other schools as well. One of the advisors to one of my clubs said he gets regular calls from dental schools during the admissions process asking about what a certain student did or didn't do in the club.

dboy said:
You all have some good points, but do you really think a dental school will kick somebody out of school for lying about extracurricular activities? I mean look at how much money they would be losing! I think a lot of people get away with it for that very reason.
I think if a person lies, it's probably something obvious, like they saved the whales (just an example) while being a president of some society and maintaining a 4.0 all while tutoring school kids and being a TA. No way in hell d-schools will check up on EVERY single activity unless something doesn't add up.

prez_al said:
I think if a person lies, it's probably something obvious, like they saved the whales (just an example) while being a president of some society and maintaining a 4.0 all while tutoring school kids and being a TA. No way in hell d-schools will check up on EVERY single activity unless something doesn't add up.

I can't believe you even made this thread. I definately know you are just testing the waters to see if you can get away with it. I dare you to do it, because during interviews you WILL get asked about it and you better be able to speak intelligently about it... :cool:

sinned said:
I can't believe you even made this thread. I definately know you are just testing the waters to see if you can get away with it. I dare you to do it, because during interviews you WILL get asked about it and you better be able to speak intelligently about it... :cool:
I'm sure people do write crap like that in their EC's... and many times people beat the system. But you are right, if it's something really "unique" they'll probably ask about it. "So, (name), I read that you saved the whales... how did that experience affect you as a person?" It's funny that my dentist even told me to BS my application... although in the end, I didn't (hopefully my EC's won't screw me over), I believe a decent percentage of people will "bend the truth" and that's just part of the application process.

For research especially, that's easily verifiable, just email the supervisor. I know when I applied to Canadian schools, most people just BS'd extracurriculars since the interviewers only found out about our EC's during the interview process.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just going to put my down my volunteer work and shadowing and hope it's good enough to get in somewhere. I've seen quite a few students on predents.com who were accepted with no extracurriculars and others who had a list that went on forever.

why would you lie about practically the least important part of your application? The upside is negligible at best; the downside is HUGE. Don't be a *****.

Some times lies get caught in the most unexpected ways. A person I know "streched the truth" about his participation in a club. He told this to another student and she actually called the dental schools he applied to herself and told them that he lied. :eek: . I wonder if he even knows that she did this.

2nd he should not have trusted her

I was gonna call that girl a b*tch, but dds beat me to it!

dboy said:
I dont think the veiw point of the school would be money. After all there are probably mmmm...... lets say alot more people willing to take ur spot! Just dont do it! :thumbdown:

I really don't think that many people lie in their application.

Well, what if its something like saying you did 40 hrs of shadowing when you only did like 10 hrs..

I'm sure people do this, but it isnt worth lying in the end..But who could verigy how much shadowing you did if the school you are applying to doenst require dentist acknowledgement of the hours you shadowed? I'm sure people would do this..

cba said:
Some times lies get caught in the most unexpected ways. A person I know "streched the truth" about his participation in a club. He told this to another student and she actually called the dental schools he applied to herself and told them that he lied. :eek: . I wonder if he even knows that she did this.

Did the person you know get accepted into dental schooL?

prez_al said:
I was gonna call that girl a b*tch, but dds beat me to it!

Sadly there are always a few hard core gunner type pre-health students in every class who are like this. You know the type... never share notes, talk about grades, and always kissing professor butt. :p

tinman831 said:
Sadly there are always a few hard core gunner type pre-health students in every class who are like this. You know the type... never share notes, talk about grades, and always kissing professor butt. :p
YES!!!! The ones where, if physical assault was legal, you would take that thicka$$ physics or orgo book and whip it at them whenever they open their mouth in lecture to say something "useful"!!!

prez_al said:
YES!!!! The ones where, if physical assault was legal, you would take that thicka$$ physics or orgo book and whip it at them whenever they open their mouth in lecture to say something "useful"!!!
Ah yes, the classic "Repeat what the professor just said in a slighlty different form to appear intelligent" ploy.

I see that alot at my school.

armorshell said:
Ah yes, the classic "Repeat what the professor just said in a slighlty different form to appear intelligent" ploy.

I see that alot at my school.

well said...looks like plenty at all schools :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Admissions comittees do not investigate what you put down. If you say you volunteered for habit for humanity but didnot really they will never know. And they do not care. They look at the grades and scores. Then to see if you are well rounded and blah blah. If you are intersting they invite you. If they judge from your personality that you have some character...or may be an excellant researcher the will take you. wether or not you really volunteered for anything matters alot less than you think. But if you are drunk one night and spill the beans with you co dental students well......

germ said:
Admissions comittees do not investigate what you put down. If you say you volunteered for habit for humanity but didnot really they will never know. And they do not care. They look at the grades and scores. Then to see if you are well rounded and blah blah. If you are intersting they invite you. If they judge from your personality that you have some character...or may be an excellant researcher the will take you. wether or not you really volunteered for anything matters alot less than you think. But if you are drunk one night and spill the beans with you co dental students well......

You can never know for sure whether or not they investigate what you put down. They have the ability to look up anything about you and they can do it on a whim. They could even do it 2 years later and if they found out you fibbed... it's just ammo to kick you out of the program.

tinman831 said:
You can never know for sure whether or not they investigate what you put down. They have the ability to look up anything about you and they can do it on a whim. They could even do it 2 years later and if they found out you fibbed... it's just ammo to kick you out of the program.

it doesnt even seem worth it... i mean, look at how many people actually attend a dental school each year, ~70 or some number like that. some schools can pretty easily do basic background checks on each and every single entering student.

Yeyyy said:
it doesnt even seem worth it... i mean, look at how many people actually attend a dental school each year, ~70 or some number like that. some schools can pretty easily do basic background checks on each and every single entering student.

Do you really think that schools would put their work aside to do background checks on already accepted dental students? thats just plain paranoia. however i am not advocating that people should lie on their apps, but i disagree that they would bother with all the background checks once you've been accepted.

dboy said:

I am a full time dental school faculty member (have worked at 2 major well-respected dental schools) and been on the "committee" that places students on probation, suspension and handles dismissals for a number of years at both schools. We only dismiss students after much agnonizing over their performance and whatever issues they may be having and that is after several to numerous attempts to help them resolve those issues, get tutoring or come other type of assistance. Believe me, it is NEVER an issue of $$$. We spend a lot of resources and $$ on those types of students and we really hate to see anyone "not make it". I can also tell you dental schools are not in the business of making money. There is a tremendous overhead and the little revenue that the clinics generate and the tuition at most schools doesn't cover it. I am speaking for the public institutions that rely on some state aid. I think this is an area of misconception on the part of many and important to know.

My advice....NEVER lie about anything...we that teach are so onto you in a heartbeat....we have radar for lying.

TTHRGr8T said:
I am a full time dental school faculty member (have worked at 2 major well-respected dental schools) and been on the "committee" that places students on probation, suspension and handles dismissals for a number of years at both schools. We only dismiss students after much agnonizing over their performance and whatever issues they may be having and that is after several to numerous attempts to help them resolve those issues, get tutoring or come other type of assistance. Believe me, it is NEVER an issue of $$$. We spend a lot of resources and $$ on those types of students and we really hate to see anyone "not make it". I can also tell you dental schools are not in the business of making money. There is a tremendous overhead and the little revenue that the clinics generate and the tuition at most schools doesn't cover it. I am speaking for the public institutions that rely on some state aid. I think this is an area of misconception on the part of many and important to know.

My advice....NEVER lie about anything...we that teach are so onto you in a heartbeat....we have radar for lying.
I've had interviews at d-schools before and they claim to invest a lot of money in their students. Is it true that sending one student through one year of education costs about 80-90K but then the student only pays a subsidized portion as the rest comes from donations and grants??

prez_al said:
I've had interviews at d-schools before and they claim to invest a lot of money in their students. Is it true that sending one student through one year of education costs about 80-90K but then the student only pays a subsidized portion as the rest comes from donations and grants??

I heard $75K per student per year. And lying about anything is stupid. If it's important you will be asked about it in the interview and you'll look like a fool. If it's not important you've taken a pointless risk.

TTHRGr8T said:

Are you saying dental schools will expel you for lying on your app or just put you on probation? I think probation or suspension is more likely. If dental schools expelled everyone who lied on their app, they wouldn't have any money to pay the teachers and staff. Surely, the government wouldn't be too happy about forking out money because dental schools want to prove a point. I'm not going to lie on my app because I don't think ec are that important, and I don't want to live with the "what if" cloud over my head. But the point I was trying to make is a lot of people get away with lying on their app because d-schools don't check into them.

dboy said:
Are you saying dental schools will expel you for lying on your app or just put you on probation? I think probation or suspension is more likely. If dental schools expelled everyone who lied on their app, they wouldn't have any money to pay the teachers and staff. Surely, the government wouldn't be too happy about forking out money because dental schools want to prove a point. I'm not going to lie on my app because I don't think ec are that important, and I don't want to live with the "what if" cloud over my head. But the point I was trying to make is a lot of people get away with lying on their app because d-schools don't check into them.

How do you know a lot of people lie on their applications?

L8DYV said:
How do you know a lot of people lie on their applications?

I think he meant that out of the people who DO lie on their applications, few actually get caught. However, I have heard stories about applicants being called out during the interview about certain items that were on their applications. I read a post on SDN where someone said an applicant had written on his exam that he played the piano. The school just happened to have a piano in the lounge or something and when the interviewer asked him to play a tune, the applicant caved. :p The risk of getting caught is small, but it is still not worth the price you have to pay if you do get caught.

tinman831 said:
I read a post on SDN where someone said an applicant had written on his exam that he played the piano. The school just happened to have a piano in the lounge or something and when the interviewer asked him to play a tune, the applicant caved. :p
lollercoaster :laugh:

dboy said:

you seem to think that almost all applicants lie on their app... if they do, then i'm screwed for this year's cycle, i can't compare to that

plus, with only 50 entering dental students each year, it shouldnt be too hard to do a quick background check on them. just maybe give the dentist they shadowed or their advisor a 5min call. they can probably have one person run through all 50 in less than a day.