Lytes and gum case cancelations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

napman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1, We at our institution do not order routine lytel for patients but some of the inpatients come with abnormal lab values. What is the value of K and Na that you are comfortable doing a case. I do not see any strong studies to guide ( except some text book recommendations). Do you have institutional guidelines where you say no to a surgery if lab values are out of range. I would appreciate if you can provide referance

2, How long will you wait for NPO status if you see a patient in preop chewing gum?

Members don't see this ad.

2. I don't. Straight to the OR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1, We at our institution do not order routine lytel for patients but some of the inpatients come with abnormal lab values. What is the value of K and Na that you are comfortable doing a case. I do not see any strong studies to guide ( except some text book recommendations). Do you have institutional guidelines where you say no to a surgery if lab values are out of range. I would appreciate if you can provide referance

No, that's where your medical training, fund of knowledge, assessment of the patient and case to be done come into play.

1) it depends on past measurements and how long these labs have been abnormal. I don't have strict cut offs.

2) gum. No problem. Carry on.